Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Ideas on how to spend long layovers in Bs. As.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA since 1998, 1.96 M miles

I fly from Corrientes through Buenos Aires to the US regularly. The timing of flights is frustrating, but I realized that this was the case before we moved here last year. I usually get to Aeroparque Jorge Newbury around noon, and fly out of EZE 8 to 10 hours later. When i return home I land between 6 am and noon, and fly out between 16:40 and 20:00. I am very familiar with the city, but these layovers are tricky: too long to spend the entire time at the airport but too short to do many of the more interesting things available.

So far I've passed the time:
  1. Visiting with friends.
  2. Hanging out at one of the big shopping malls, eating lunch and sipping coffee.
  3. Bribing a hotel doorman to watch my luggage for several hours while I walk around Recoletta or Palermo.
  4. Hanging out at EZE, eating lunch and sipping coffee until the AA ticket counters and the Admiral's Club open at 17:30.

I've thought about going to a movie, but I would feel very awkward dragging my luggage into a theater, especially if its crowded. I thought about getting a hotel room, but that seems expensive for only a few hours. Visiting with friends is great, but often our schedules don't work out well. Things get particularly complex when I travel with the wife and our two young children, we'll have four 22" bags and 3 or 4 smaller carry on bags, that seems like too much to hide with a hotel doorman.

So, I'm looking for tips. Do you know of any comfortable hotels that offer a discount for visits that last less than 8 hours? Any other ideas for safely storing luggage while doing other stuff in the city?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:33 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Hey Kurt--

Here are some leads that may offer you a decent deal on day usage rates.... else I think that you should consider starting a 'stable relationship' with one of the doormen at a hotel that you've used for your luggage storage before... if you use the same one regularly, one time you come with all the family he should be able to accomodate you.

Home Hotel
Bobo
Four Cool Rooms
Finisterra

Also, have you considered the left luggage services at the airports...??
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes it must be very awkward especially with the family in tow.

Personally I would just book a night in somewhere like the Ibis...very reasonable pre-paid rates for a clean room, a shower and a bed where hopefully you could all get a few hours rest.The price is very reasonable (US$70) even if you aren't staying for the night.
There must be other places which are cheaper and just as good.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:57 am

I have an upcoming 10hr layover in EZE and I'm glad I found this thread. I've never been to EZE or Bs.As. before, but from what I read EZE is rather small - I should probably get to the city, right? How long would that take by bus/taxi? Are the listed hotel options in the city or at the airport? Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by koroleon
I have an upcoming 10hr layover in EZE and I'm glad I found this thread. I've never been to EZE or Bs.As. before, but from what I read EZE is rather small - I should probably get to the city, right? How long would that take by bus/taxi? Are the listed hotel options in the city or at the airport? Thanks!
With a 10 hour layover you should definitely head into the city. Depending on the time of day it can take anything from 30 mins to 1 hour+ in a taxi. Manuel Tienda Leon also run a regular bus service to their terminal in Retiro which would work out cheaper if you are travelling alone.

There are no hotels of note in/near the airport - the ones listed are all in the city
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Hey Kurt--
Also, have you considered the left luggage services at the airports...??
thanks for the hotels. I decided against leaving stuff at one of the airports because I don't want to go back, even though Jorge Newbury is in the city it would take a lot longer to retrieve luggage from there than from a hotel.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by britenbsas
With a 10 hour layover you should definitely head into the city. Depending on the time of day it can take anything from 30 mins to 1 hour+ in a taxi. Manuel Tienda Leon also run a regular bus service to their terminal in Retiro which would work out cheaper if you are travelling alone.

There are no hotels of note in/near the airport - the ones listed are all in the city
There is one 'hotel' by EZE it on the right when you are leaving the airport. It looks like a house that was converted into a hotel so probably more like a B&B type accommodation. However it might do the trick if you have a late arrival and early departure from EZE.

Last edited by redrock; Aug 25, 2010 at 3:22 pm
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Are you referring to La Posada de las Aguilas...??
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Are you referring to La Posada de las Aguilas...??

I think its called "Hotel Ezeiza" last time I went by there. I asked one of the remises and he said if you call them from the terminal they will pick you up. It doesn't appear to be a very fancy place from the looks but I have had to go into Bs. As. And back early in the morning for a flight out, so your looking easy at $200 USD between hotel and transfers.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:10 pm

Never heard of Hotel Ezeiza... will investigate and report back. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by redrock
It looks like a house that was converted into a hotel so probably more like a B&B type accommodation.
Originally Posted by redrock
I think its called "Hotel Ezeiza" last time I went by there....It doesn't appear to be a very fancy place from the looks
Hence my comment about there being no hotels of note in/near the airport. A quick Google search reveals a couple of options near the airport but none of them look particularly appealing
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm surprised they still don't have a decent hotel at EZE.....surely every International airport has at least one?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 1:53 am

What would be the best option to shower during a long layover? From what I've read the RCC and the AMEX lounge don't have any showers. They say the Sala VIP has showers, do they sell day passes? Any other club with showers that also sells day passes? Or is the best option to pay a day rate at some hotel?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm surprised they still don't have a decent hotel at EZE.....surely every International airport has at least one?
I say we form a LLC and develop one....
Old Aug 27, 2010, 6:39 am
Original Poster

I say we form a LLC and develop one....
I like the way you think!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.