Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America > Argentina
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 14, 11, 6:19 am   #1

Programs: QF WP + more
Question Flight Options - EZE vs AEP

Hi all,

I had a flight booked from GIG to EZE on Aerolineas in business. Since booking I have found out that my flight is now flying to AEP and that the business cabin has been replaced by "Club Economy". Apart from being annoyed that I was not informed of these changes, I now have to question my options and seek guidance from those in the know:

1. Stay on this flight to AEP (arrives 4.50pm on a Sunday) and receive $120US refund as a result of being down graded to Club Economy.

2. Get a full refund and book on GOL which arrives EZE at 7.20pm (net refund of about $300).

If I take option 1. I will now have to find my way to EZE as I have a flight to the US on AA departing at 10.50pm.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on what might be my best option. As each flight is on two separate bookings I'm worried about potential delays etc. I'm flying in First on AA if that makes any difference.

Any feedback on likely transit times (and best method of transit between AEP and EZE), reliability of GOL/AR and merits of Club Economy would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
PC
Plane Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 11, 6:52 am   #2

Programs: UA 1K MM
I'd go with G3 (Gol). AR is, at best, unreliable.

Have you also considered TAM which also has a flight GIG-EZE that arrives @13:10.

If you were to fly into AEP, 3 hours is sufficient time (especially on a Sunday evening) to transit between airports.

Since it appears you're Australian, have you flown into Argentina recently, or would you have to pay the reciprocity fee if you transited via AEP? The fee is currently US$100 good for multiple entries for one year.
Old Jul 14, 11, 11:36 am   #3
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Stay away from AR is you can...... the above is sound advice...
Old Jul 14, 11, 3:01 pm   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I did see that TAM has a flight arriving into EZE at 1.10pm (and AR does at 1.55pm) but I thought that that would be too long to wait around the airport for my 10.50pm flight.

If I go with GOL I assume I will still have to pick up my bags after arriving at EZE, go through customs, check-in and re-clear security/customs again given I won't be able to check my bags straight through to Miami?

Yes, I am Australian but have a UK passport so I believe I'll escape the fee
Old Jul 14, 11, 3:58 pm   #5

Programs: UA 1K MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Crazy View Post
...If I go with GOL I assume I will still have to pick up my bags after arriving at EZE, go through customs, check-in and re-clear security/customs again given I won't be able to check my bags straight through to Miami?
Gol should tag your baggage in GIG to be interlined via AA to MIA. You'll just need to show them your EZE-MIA ticket at checkin, so you can stay airside and not enter Argentina.

AA and G3 have had an interline agreement for several years: http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/...09+PRN20090218

Last edited by SoFlyOn; Jul 14, 11 at 4:03 pm.
SoFlyOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 11, 4:12 pm   #6

Thanks for the very useful info! It almost makes it a no brainer. Think I'll cancel AR, book GOL and save myself a couple of hundred dollars in the process!
Old Jul 15, 11, 7:59 pm   #7
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Crazy View Post
Thanks for the very useful info! It almost makes it a no brainer. Think I'll cancel AR, book GOL and save myself a couple of hundred dollars in the process!
Monetary issues aside... skipping AR will save you headaches....