Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copa America 2011 - inagural match this evening

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:31 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post Copa America 2011 - inagural match this evening

So..... the Copa America begins today. Its too bad Japan didnt make the event, guess they are still recovering from the Earthquake.

I dont have my hopes up too high.... I have to wonder if Messi will finally have a good few weeks with La Seleccion. The official opening ceremony starts at 1900 local time, the match will get underway at 2145 at the new La Plata Stadium which hosted the U2 360 Tour... nice new (and not very large) stadium.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
http://www.ca2011.com/mobile/smart/
Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Here is another site with info (non official site):

http://www.copa-america2011.net/
Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well you don't sound very optimistic.

I have a feeling the home side might just go all the way. Messi is on fire and Tevez is better than I've ever seen him. The defence is a worry though.

Argentina to win the cup. ^
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Argentina to win the cup. ^
Not on that performance

At least the goal was pretty...
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by EricTheNerd
Not on that performance

At least the goal was pretty...
Bolivia set out looking for a draw and that's what they got due to that idiot standing on the goal line who tried to be clever instead of kicking the ball out of touch.

I'm sure they'll get better as the competition goes on. No panic yet.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Bolivia set out looking for a draw and that's what they got due to that idiot standing on the goal line who tried to be clever instead of kicking the ball out of touch.

I'm sure they'll get better as the competition goes on. No panic yet.
I agree the Bolivian goal was from a stupid mistake... but overall, Bolivia's game plan was a good one and it was very well executed. Dont forget that while leading 1-0, the Bolivian No. 9 had a one on one with Romero which was well resolved by the keeper but that could have sealed the blunder for La Seleccion.

I hate to be overly pessimistic... but I dont see the team getting it together. Batista is not the right guy for the job... Messi cant seem to stand the pressure of wearing the national jersey and nobody dares even consider that maybe Messi should sit it out on the bench and give another guy a chance. I undertand all he does at Barcelona is from another planet, but I think waiting until he retires to get a team to work is a little too long and a little too unfair for the Fans. At this point, I say bench the guy and lets see what a team without the superstar can do.... Aguero can start and let Messi play the last 20 minutes.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I hate to be overly pessimistic... but I dont see the team getting it together. Batista is not the right guy for the job... Messi cant seem to stand the pressure of wearing the national jersey and nobody dares even consider that maybe Messi should sit it out on the bench and give another guy a chance.
I agree about Batista.....he looks more mafia than national team coach material.
I'd give this team another game before making any drastic changes like dropping Messi. Tevez had a poor game last night yet everyone still thinks he's wonderful. The opening match in these tournaments are always strange affairs.....lets see how they get on in the next match.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Very good point about Tevez.... yes, he also had a dismal match - just like Messi. And yes... nobody dares to say his performance was poor. In the end, the only one that plays a consistent good game is Mascherano.

Colombia is going to be a good test of this team.... in any case, if they dont seriously up their game, if they get to face Brazil they will get slaughtered...
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:49 pm

.... in any case, if they dont seriously up their game, if they get to face Brazil they will get slaughtered...

I'm not so sure. After watching them play Venezuela I was not too impressed by "o terror do mundo". Let's see what the next match shows us.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
I'm not so sure. After watching them play Venezuela I was not too impressed by "o terror do mundo". Let's see what the next match shows us.
I guess the Brazilians didnt want to be rude to the host nation and also offered a dismal performance.... I was surprised that they could not score against a very weak Venezuela, which I see even weaker than Bolivia.

Hmmm... if Paraguay can repeat the last WC's performance they are perhaps the favorites to take the title....?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:15 pm

Another poor game today with an off form Brazil.....they certainly didn't look any better than Argentina that's for sure. No team has impressed so far.

Latest betting odds to win the cup. Uruguay look a decent price.

10/11 Argentina
2/1 Brazil
9/1 Uruguay
12/1 Chile
25/1 Paraguay
25/1 Colombia
50/1 Mexico
100/1 BAR
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

I agree 9 to 1 for Uruguay is a very good bet..... ^
Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:45 am
Original Poster

OK... so now Uruguay also plays a horrible game...... maybe this is a sign of the times with international soccer...?????
Old Jul 5, 2011, 6:47 am

OK... so now Uruguay also plays a horrible game...... maybe this is a sign of the times with international soccer...?????
I think you're right. Yet another drawn game with little to get excited about. Seems to be following the same pattern as last years World Cup.........many mediocre games with most teams showing a similar standard of football. The players might be jaded and just want a holiday after a full season playing with their clubs.

The Chile - Mexico game might not have contained a lot of quality but it was the most entertaining game so far.....at least someone won.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.