Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America > Argentina
Sign in using an external account

Old May 15, 11, 8:56 am   #1

Travel between Montevideo and Buenos Aires

I am sure there are a variety of public transportation options in travelling from Montevideo to Buenos Aires, like boat, bus, etc. Can someone who has done one or more of these methods provide some input on their experiences - timing, costs, scenery, etc. Thanks.
rack him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 11, 11:55 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The easiest way is the Buquebus (the boat-only option - there are also boat plus bus options - which only make sense if you also want to stop in Colonia). It is 3 hours from city center to city center. You can also fly AEP/MVD (which I've never done) - it probably takes a similar total amount of elapsed time - AEP is convenient to the city center so you won't need to deal with going back out to EZE. The boat ride isn't particularly scenic, but at least you can walk around a bit, there's a duty free shop onboard, marginal food and drink for purchase, etc. and overall, a more relaxed experience than dealing with airports.
Eastbay1K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 11, 6:54 am   #3
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
You left out the usually uninteresting movies that I have had on such ferry trips.

I have flown from BUE to MVD but minimize doing so and have -- when using general commercially scheduled travel means -- preferred using Buquebus as it avoids the airport related issues (worse if the BUE to MVD itinerary involves Ezeiza/EZE airport).

The only issue is that immigration control processing when taking the boat can sometimes be slower per person processed than at the airport, but nothing of such concern as to choose flying over the ferry because of it.
Old May 17, 11, 7:26 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last time I did it I just flew with Pluna from AEP. Fares are pretty cheap if you book ahead. Not much to see going by ferry.
HIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 11, 9:48 pm   #5

I just saw one-way fares of $35 per person mid-week on Pluna.
bamboola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 11, 2:13 pm   #6

Programs: AA, BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Last time I did it I just flew with Pluna from AEP. Fares are pretty cheap if you book ahead. Not much to see going by ferry.
How is Pluna compared to the other regionals in Argentina? I have never used them before.
cochino_BA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 11, 6:30 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino_BA View Post
How is Pluna compared to the other regionals in Argentina? I have never used them before.
Only flown them a couple of times but they seem to be okay. Prices are good,modern aircraft and MVD has a nice new terminal. Haven't heard anything negative about them.
HIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 11, 1:50 am   #8

Programs: UA Gold; UAMM; Hilton Gold; BW Plat; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Plat
this topic has been discussed before; try doing a quick search

Buenos Aires to Montevideo by ground

Buenos Aires to Montevideo
keisari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 11, 4:35 pm   #9
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
I second the motion to consider Pluna.... nothing fancy, but new planes and OK service on the super short flight.
Old Jun 3, 11, 1:55 pm   #10

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, ClubCarlson Silver, IHG PlatAmb
I did the Pluna AEP-MVD-AEP r/t last year and it was great.

Nice airport - MVD and convenient when using AEP.

I think Pluna only had a fleet of RJ's but it's a short flight and get a window seat - I managed to get some great photos flying over the river and approaching both airports/towns.
OskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 11, 2:27 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No longer an FF, no status, no joy in Mudville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino_BA View Post
Only flew them once, from Montevideo to BA, but they were fine.
PTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 11, 8:08 am   #12

Will be traveling from Montevideo to Buenos Aires on Saturday, and noticed that there is only one Buquebus direct. However it departs very late for us. The other option is a Bus to Colonia and then ferry. There will be 2 adults and a child traveling. Few questions regarding this option:

1. If I will buy Primera tickets, do I get any better sitting on the bus or the bus seats are all the same.
2. Does bus make any stops on the way to Colonia?
3. Upon arrival to Colonia, is there any time to go and see the city? (if combo ticket purchased at Buquebus.com)
2. Is it worth having Primera ticket on Colonia to Buenos Aires? Do you get assigned sitting or first come first serve?

Another option is to fly. However, being US Citizen, if I will arrive to AEP, do I still have to pay a reciprocal visa fee of $100 per person? My understanding is if arrive by ferry, that fee is not collected, but what about by air from Uruguay?
TAHKUCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 11, 6:39 am   #13
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Others will chime in, but Primera perks will depend on the vessel you get.... no assigned seating that I can remember last time I did F on the boat... just a lousy F only mini bar with bad and overpriced food.... sometimes you do get a glass of chepo bubbly as a welcome drink..... bottom line, if the price difference is relevant I would say dont waste it and spend it on something else....
Old Sep 16, 11, 6:54 am   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
Others will chime in, but Primera perks will depend on the vessel you get.... no assigned seating that I can remember last time I did F on the boat... just a lousy F only mini bar with bad and overpriced food.... sometimes you do get a glass of chepo bubbly as a welcome drink..... bottom line, if the price difference is relevant I would say dont waste it and spend it on something else....
Thanks.

Unfortunately, there are some changes in our plans and the only option left is to fly. Any suggestions on what air line and what airport? Thinking to go to AEP secondary will not have to pay reciprocity fee as US passport holder.
TAHKUCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 11, 7:01 am   #15

Programs: Plans=59, TCC=146, MTP=228, C-Cards=26+, D-Cards=8+, Miles in Inventory=2.25M+
Done the ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento, a rather funky little town.

Buquebus was reliable and on time. Ferry was modern and efficient. Cost seemed reasonable. Was able to store my luggage at the terminal for a bit to walk around the old port area in Buenos Aires.

They have TV in the ferry so I skipped the scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack him View Post
I am sure there are a variety of public transportation options in travelling from Montevideo to Buenos Aires, like boat, bus, etc. Can someone who has done one or more of these methods provide some input on their experiences - timing, costs, scenery, etc. Thanks.
AlohaDaveKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote