Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

December - Best Month to Visit?

Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Hi All!

I am currently planning my itinerary for my first trip to Argentina (super excited!) and wish to visit the following:

Buenos Aires
Mendoza
Puerto Iguaza/Iguaza Falls
Bariloche (and visit to chocolate factory)
El Calafate ((and visit to Perito Moreno glaciers)
Ushuaia, (and visit to Lapataia National Park)
Puerto Madryn/Peninsula Valdes wildlife tour

I would also like to partake in the following activities during my trip:

kayaking/white water rafting
wine tasting
whale watching
visit to spa/hot springs

Is December the best month to visit these locations and partake in these activities, particularly kayaking/rafting?? I was initially looking at August but I totally do not want to go from one cold location (currently living in the USA) to another, especially not on my vacation.

Please advise if I should change my dates to get the best possible vacation experience and scenic views in Argentina.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Welcome to FT and the Argentina forum CoilyKinks!

It sounds like you want to see most of Argentina on your first visit! What time frame do you have for this trip? To visit all the places listed I would suggest an absolute minimum of 3 weeks and even that would be a rushed trip in my opinion with no more than a few nights in each place. After one visit to Argentina I'm sure you'll want to come back for more so it may be an idea to focus your travels on fewer places if your time is limited.

The peak season for whale watching and wildlife spotting on Peninsula Valdez is roughly Sep-Nov. By mid-December all of the whales have left so depending on your dates you may be out of luck. Also note that December/January can be very hot and humid in Buenos Aires. If humidity is not to your liking I would suggest bringing your trip forward to November.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by britenbsas
Welcome to FT and the Argentina forum CoilyKinks!

It sounds like you want to see most of Argentina on your first visit! What time frame do you have for this trip? To visit all the places listed I would suggest an absolute minimum of 3 weeks and even that would be a rushed trip in my opinion with no more than a few nights in each place. After one visit to Argentina I'm sure you'll want to come back for more so it may be an idea to focus your travels on fewer places if your time is limited.

The peak season for whale watching and wildlife spotting on Peninsula Valdez is roughly Sep-Nov. By mid-December all of the whales have left so depending on your dates you may be out of luck. Also note that December/January can be very hot and humid in Buenos Aires. If humidity is not to your liking I would suggest bringing your trip forward to November.
Thank you SO much for responding, britenbsas, and thanks for the warm welcome!

As for dates, I am try to plan my trip for 18-21 days. It is not my intent to plan more than 2-3 days in the following locations:

Mendoza (3 days)
Puerto Iguaza/Iguaza Falls (2 days)
El Calafate (2 days)
Ushuaia (2 days)
Puerto Madryn/Peninsula Valdes wildlife tour (2 days)

I wish to spend most of my time in Buenos Aires and Bariloche. I am planning to spend 5 days in Buenos Aires and 4 days in Bariloche. I heard there is lots to do in Bariloche so I wish to dedicate some time there.

As for kayaking/water rafting, can it be done in the month of December ?

And as for humidity, I come from a Caribbean island and am used to the hot weather so I believe the weather in December would be just fine for me.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CoilyKinks
As for dates, I am try to plan my trip for 18-21 days. It is not my intent to plan more than 2-3 days in the following locations:

Mendoza (3 days)
Puerto Iguaza/Iguaza Falls (2 days)
El Calafate (2 days)
Ushuaia (2 days)
Puerto Madryn/Peninsula Valdes wildlife tour (2 days)
With 21 days you can certainly see all those places as long as you are happy with a whirlwind tour! Given your limited time you will need to fly between each place as opposed to taking the bus. Plan your itinerary carefully as many times you will have to return to Buenos Aires to connect to another flight eg there are no direct flights from Iguazu to El Calafate

As for kayaking/water rafting, can it be done in the month of December ?
Sure. There are plenty of opportunities for rafting in Mendoza (Caon del Atuel) and Bariloche.

And as for humidity, I come from a Caribbean island and am used to the hot weather so I believe the weather in December would be just fine for me.
No problems then. You'll love it
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

With 21 days you can certainly see all those places as long as you are happy with a whirlwind tour! Given your limited time you will need to fly between each place as opposed to taking the bus. Plan your itinerary carefully as many times you will have to return to Buenos Aires to connect to another flight eg there are no direct flights from Iguazu to El Calafate
Thanks briten. I was planning to go through a travel agent/local operator. I am currently trying to decide between Optimundo, Argentina Con Noi and WOWArgentina.

Sure. There are plenty of opportunities for rafting in Mendoza (Caon del Atuel) and Bariloche

Wow, Caon del Atuel looks amazing! Good to know. I'm hoping it won't be too cold during this time to go rafting.

No problems then. You'll love it
I certainly hope so! Thank you.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I prefer November and the early part of December the most, although the end of March and beginning of April do well enough by me.

For the OP, the further into December would probably be more suitable.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I prefer November and the early part of December the most, although the end of March and beginning of April do well enough by me.

For the OP, the further into December would probably be more suitable.
Thanks GU. Yes, I am planning to leave around mid-december and spend both my Christmas and New Years in Argentina!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.