Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America > Argentina
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 26, 11, 11:14 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
December - Best Month to Visit?

Hi All!

I am currently planning my itinerary for my first trip to Argentina (super excited!) and wish to visit the following:

Buenos Aires
Mendoza
Puerto Iguaza/Iguaza Falls
Bariloche (and visit to chocolate factory)
El Calafate ((and visit to Perito Moreno glaciers)
Ushuaia, (and visit to Lapataia National Park)
Puerto Madryn/Peninsula Valdes wildlife tour

I would also like to partake in the following activities during my trip:

kayaking/white water rafting
wine tasting
whale watching
visit to spa/hot springs


Is December the best month to visit these locations and partake in these activities, particularly kayaking/rafting?? I was initially looking at August but I totally do not want to go from one cold location (currently living in the USA) to another, especially not on my vacation.

Please advise if I should change my dates to get the best possible vacation experience and scenic views in Argentina.
CoilyKinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 11, 2:35 am   #2
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London UK
Programs: AA PLT, BAEC Blue, Hilton HHonors, SPG
Posts: 1,799
Welcome to FT and the Argentina forum CoilyKinks!

It sounds like you want to see most of Argentina on your first visit! What time frame do you have for this trip? To visit all the places listed I would suggest an absolute minimum of 3 weeks and even that would be a rushed trip in my opinion with no more than a few nights in each place. After one visit to Argentina I'm sure you'll want to come back for more so it may be an idea to focus your travels on fewer places if your time is limited.

The peak season for whale watching and wildlife spotting on Peninsula Valdez is roughly Sep-Nov. By mid-December all of the whales have left so depending on your dates you may be out of luck. Also note that December/January can be very hot and humid in Buenos Aires. If humidity is not to your liking I would suggest bringing your trip forward to November.
britenbsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 11, 6:53 am   #3
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by britenbsas View Post
Welcome to FT and the Argentina forum CoilyKinks!

It sounds like you want to see most of Argentina on your first visit! What time frame do you have for this trip? To visit all the places listed I would suggest an absolute minimum of 3 weeks and even that would be a rushed trip in my opinion with no more than a few nights in each place. After one visit to Argentina I'm sure you'll want to come back for more so it may be an idea to focus your travels on fewer places if your time is limited.

The peak season for whale watching and wildlife spotting on Peninsula Valdez is roughly Sep-Nov. By mid-December all of the whales have left so depending on your dates you may be out of luck. Also note that December/January can be very hot and humid in Buenos Aires. If humidity is not to your liking I would suggest bringing your trip forward to November.
Thank you SO much for responding, britenbsas, and thanks for the warm welcome!


As for dates, I am try to plan my trip for 18-21 days. It is not my intent to plan more than 2-3 days in the following locations:

Mendoza (3 days)
Puerto Iguaza/Iguaza Falls (2 days)
El Calafate (2 days)
Ushuaia (2 days)
Puerto Madryn/Peninsula Valdes wildlife tour (2 days)


I wish to spend most of my time in Buenos Aires and Bariloche. I am planning to spend 5 days in Buenos Aires and 4 days in Bariloche. I heard there is lots to do in Bariloche so I wish to dedicate some time there.

As for kayaking/water rafting, can it be done in the month of December ?


And as for humidity, I come from a Caribbean island and am used to the hot weather so I believe the weather in December would be just fine for me.
CoilyKinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 11, 12:18 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London UK
Programs: AA PLT, BAEC Blue, Hilton HHonors, SPG
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoilyKinks View Post
As for dates, I am try to plan my trip for 18-21 days. It is not my intent to plan more than 2-3 days in the following locations:

Mendoza (3 days)
Puerto Iguaza/Iguaza Falls (2 days)
El Calafate (2 days)
Ushuaia (2 days)
Puerto Madryn/Peninsula Valdes wildlife tour (2 days)
With 21 days you can certainly see all those places as long as you are happy with a whirlwind tour! Given your limited time you will need to fly between each place as opposed to taking the bus. Plan your itinerary carefully as many times you will have to return to Buenos Aires to connect to another flight eg there are no direct flights from Iguazu to El Calafate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoilyKinks View Post
As for kayaking/water rafting, can it be done in the month of December ?
Sure. There are plenty of opportunities for rafting in Mendoza (Caņon del Atuel) and Bariloche.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CoilyKinks View Post
And as for humidity, I come from a Caribbean island and am used to the hot weather so I believe the weather in December would be just fine for me.
No problems then. You'll love it
britenbsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 11, 4:03 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by britenbsas View Post
With 21 days you can certainly see all those places as long as you are happy with a whirlwind tour! Given your limited time you will need to fly between each place as opposed to taking the bus. Plan your itinerary carefully as many times you will have to return to Buenos Aires to connect to another flight eg there are no direct flights from Iguazu to El Calafate
Thanks briten. I was planning to go through a travel agent/local operator. I am currently trying to decide between Optimundo, Argentina Con Noi and WOWArgentina.



Quote:
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Sure. There are plenty of opportunities for rafting in Mendoza (Caņon del Atuel) and Bariloche

Wow, Caņon del Atuel looks amazing! Good to know. I'm hoping it won't be too cold during this time to go rafting.


Quote:
Originally Posted by britenbsas
No problems then. You'll love it
I certainly hope so! Thank you.
CoilyKinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 11, 2:48 am   #6
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Posts: 71,522
I prefer November and the early part of December the most, although the end of March and beginning of April do well enough by me.

For the OP, the further into December would probably be more suitable.
__________________
Like TSA, DL SkyMiles management treats airline customers as if they are the enemy or sheep to be fleeced and it shows.
GUWonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 11, 3:48 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I prefer November and the early part of December the most, although the end of March and beginning of April do well enough by me.

For the OP, the further into December would probably be more suitable.
Thanks GU. Yes, I am planning to leave around mid-december and spend both my Christmas and New Years in Argentina!
CoilyKinks is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.