FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Valentine's Day 2011 - Where to go? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1173176-valentines-day-2011-where-go.html)

ULDB65 Jan 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Valentine's Day 2011 - Where to go?

It's less than a month away, but I'm thinking about Valentine's Day, and would like to get some suggestions for dinner, or perhaps something better, for me and my sweetheart.

Ambiance and atmosphere is very high on the list, great food a close second. Ideally in or near Cap Fed.

Although we have dined many fine places here, I don't want to prejudice your ideas by listing any of them, so bring 'em on!

Thanks!

Gaucho100K Jan 17, 2011 9:51 am

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/22.2.110; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

How about a Valentines day package at one of the top hotels in town... Im pretty sure you can get an all inclusive deal on a niced dinner and a suite for the apres-dinnes hostilities... :o :p

Check the Sofitel Arroyo, the Alvear, the Faena and the Hilton for details... Im sure they have something prepared for the ocassion.

Yes... it will be an 'investment' of sorts, but think of the credit card miles you will get... :D :D

ULDB65 Jan 17, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks, that's exactly what we have done previously... I was maybe hoping for some more creative input from the collective. Perhaps even a great restaurant we haven't discovered yet?

HIDDY Jan 17, 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ULDB65 (Post 15675524)
Thanks, that's exactly what we have done previously... I was maybe hoping for some more creative input from the collective. Perhaps even a great restaurant we haven't discovered yet?

Buy a bag of wood, a bottle of Malbec and go down to the beach and cook some steaks. Always works for me. ^

http://qmyudw.bay.livefilestore.com/...re4.jpg?psid=1

Gaucho100K Jan 17, 2011 3:09 pm

OK... here is a closed door restaurant that Ive found to be very good. Its in Devoto.... so its about a 35 minute taxi ride from where you live but its certainly not a "mainstream" dining option.

Dantón Cuisine
Pareja y Bahia Blanca
Devoto - Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Tel: 4501-0949

No credit cards accepted.

ULDB65 Jan 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks for this one- I've been to closed door place in Devoto once, I wonder if its the same one. It was a private home, with maybe 6 or 8 tables set up, and the chef/owner introduced the menu personally. Very nice. I will check it out.

And FYI, I live in Devoto, so the only way to take 35 minutes driving there is if I go to Puerto Madero first.

Gaucho100K Jan 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Sorry.... my mistake. I thought you made your home in Belgrano or Palermo, my bad to assume... :D

Dont know too many places that are closed door in Devoto, so chances are that its one and the same place.

Are you up for taking a remise out North... far north like Pilar or even Capilla del Senior...? Know of some good places but it is quite a hike if you dont have a car.

Cheers,
Gaucho

Gaucho100K Jan 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 15675958)
Buy a bag of wood, a bottle of Malbec and go down to the beach and cook some steaks. Always works for me. ^

http://qmyudw.bay.livefilestore.com/...re4.jpg?psid=1

Way to go Hiddy.... you are a proper Gaucho after that photo... :D ^

HIDDY Jan 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 15679085)
Way to go Hiddy.... you are a proper Gaucho after that photo... :D ^

That was taken in Scotland a few years ago before the move here.....just to make the wife feel at home. ;)

ULDB65 Jan 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 15677161)
OK... here is a closed door restaurant that Ive found to be very good. Its in Devoto.... so its about a 35 minute taxi ride from where you live but its certainly not a "mainstream" dining option.

Dantón Cuisine
Pareja y Bahia Blanca
Devoto - Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Tel: 4501-0949

No credit cards accepted.

This is indeed the place we had been before. I called him to ask about a Valentine's menu, and this is what he emailed me, in case anyone else is interested:

Appetizer: sorpresa

Entrada:
• Ensalada de ahumados (Trucha Patagónica, verdes y croutons)
• Confit de Pato en masa Fila (habanitos de masa fila rellenos de confit de pato, reducción de cítricos, mostaza de vino tinto con mix de verdes)

Principal:
• Solomillo de cordero (con Cous Cous y caviar de berenjena, reducción del jugo de cordero en vino tinto)
• Cintas de Tomate con crema de hongos de pino (pasta de tomate con crema de hongos, tomates secos y escamas de queso Sbrinz)

Postre:
• Creme Brulêe
• Marquise de choco late

Bebidas:

• Bebidas sin alcohol incluidas
• Una copa de vino de la línea Nieto Senetiner Chardonay o Malbec
• Una copa de Espumante para el brindis
• Café y peti fours

Valor: $ 170 por persona

Gaucho100K Feb 5, 2011 7:27 am

The menu looks good, value seems okay although the wines are very basic and I feel they will probably not do the food justice. Also, its not a good sign that they are not detailing what bubbly they are service for the 'brindis'.

I would say do BYOB for the evening.... Im sure they will accomodate you.

Regardless, please do come back and report what you ended up doing and how it goes.... :D ^

ULDB65 Feb 5, 2011 7:42 am

While we have enjoyed the place previously, the menu and wines just didn't tickle our fancy this time- so we are going with a nice hotel package this year.

ULDB65 Feb 17, 2011 7:13 pm

A quick after-glow report...

Due to Mrs. ULDB65's Dad getting ill, we had to re-schedule things a bit. So we ended up with 2 nights at a downtown hotel before the 14th, plus still went to Dantón on Valentine's. As we've enjoyed previously, the meal was excellently prepared and presented (the cordero was jugoso and superb), but the wine just O.K.

We do enjoy the chef presenting everything and discussing what he does, and he is a genuinely nice guy, and there are only like 6 tables in the home, which is why we go back. I did mention I would enjoy better wines next time, or least an option or two, and he said he would consider it...

Gaucho100K Feb 18, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks for the report... im my experience, the Chef at Danton does not mind you taking your own wine if you ask beforehand.