Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time in Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
If there is a universal "no smoking inside" law, it certainly wasn't enforced.
That's odd...thanks for the info about the bill. ^
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
If there is a universal "no smoking inside" law, it certainly wasn't enforced.
There is no universal "no smoking inside" law. Restaurants can have indoor smoking sections as long as they have separate ventilation systems. A place that's at least 100 sq meters can have up to 30% reserved for smokers. In general it's pretty obvious if a restaurant has a smoking section and you are in it, if not just ask.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by fsexman
There is no universal "no smoking inside" law. Restaurants can have indoor smoking sections as long as they have separate ventilation systems. A place that's at least 100 sq meters can have up to 30% reserved for smokers. In general it's pretty obvious if a restaurant has a smoking section and you are in it, if not just ask.
Interesting...I've yet to see a restaurant/cafe/shopping centre in BA that allows smoking...they must all be too small to qualify. In my town in the same province there is a strict no smoking policy in all restaurants/cafes/shops/public buildings no matter what size they are.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
We ate at Juana M in BA last week and there was certainly smoking allowed (ashtrays on the tables). We didn't realise until it was too late that we were in the smoking section.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:42 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
If inside the City of Buenos Aires (not the Province), then for a place to have a smoking section it must be of a minimum sq. footage and have a separated area, etc. - not all establishments can comply with the requirements. In my experience, the smoking laws have been quite well enforced, very well if you think of it in the Argentine perspective.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
If inside the City of Buenos Aires (not the Province), then for a place to have a smoking section it must be of a minimum sq. footage and have a separated area, etc. - not all establishments can comply with the requirements. In my experience, the smoking laws have been quite well enforced, very well if you think of it in the Argentine perspective.
Thanks for the clarification on that. ^

What a bloody ridiculous rule.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/22.2.110; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

Great advice above... forget Mar del Plata. The only two beach resorts in Argentina are Carilo and Pinamar.

I think 2 nights in Iguazu may be too much, one night should be enough.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree to a point.

From what I know from living in that area, is that Carilo is owned and operated by active and retired military so it's kind of exclusive and quiet...
And Pinamar is for rich kids, or conchetos as they're called around those parts and kind of expensive.
Villa Gesell is my kind of town, and where I will be staying from the end of November until March of next year, so it basically is based on individual taste... Mar Azul, Mar de las Pampas also are an excellent place to vacation, but her timing is off a bit. The best time for younger people is January 1st until February 15th, And for the older more relaxed crowd, Beginning of December through New Years day, and February 15th till March 15th.
I always saw Mar del Plata as a little Buenos Aires with a beach. I don't particularly like going there except when necessary but only for a day not more.

Check out Mar de las Pampas. They also have information on every coastal city in Buenos Aires..

Good luck!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:42 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Carilo owned by the military....? Dont think so. The land was originally part of the Ejercito Argentino... but the land prices are sooo high that everything was sold off to private investors ages ago. Its been a very long time since anybody in the military had anything to do with Carilo.

Yes, Pinamar and Carilo are the most exclusive beach areas in Argentina, and they are the most expensive. In my experience, they are also (by far) the best... they are very clean, safe and are frequented by the right crowd of people. All this cannot always be said by most of the other popular beach destinations in Argentina.

Having said that, Ive heard positive things about Mar de las Pampas, although security may be an issue as last year they still did not have their own police force... this may have changed now, I cannot confirm this.

Please note that I dont mean to start a food fight with the above post and as you say, its about individual choice/taste, but the there are various hard facts that lead to the obvious conclusion that Carilo and Pinamar are in a different category to all the other resorts in Argentina.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.