Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America > Argentina
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 20, 09, 5:04 pm   #61

Programs: AA PLT, BAEC Blue, Hilton HHonors, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
This is an opportunity for Uruguay to syphon thousands of visitors from Argentina if they play their cards right.
Ain't gonna happen. There are so many things Argentina has that Uruguay doesn't I wouldn't know where to start the list. Buenos Aires/Argentina will continue to be one of the most visited destinations in South America, reciprocity fee or no reciprocity fee
britenbsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 09, 5:09 pm   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlanet View Post
According to an Argentinian newspaper, this is gonna start on January 1st, then nobody should be charged the fee until New Years Day.
Yes, it seems the date has been pushed back again to Jan 1 according to Clarin today. Here's the link (Spanish only)

http://www.clarin.com/suplementos/vi...v-02104311.htm
Old Dec 20, 09, 6:25 pm   #63

Here's hoping it gets pushed back a bit more...my arrival is Jan 3rd. Give those hard working collections agents a few days off for the new year, eh?
maracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 09, 8:24 pm   #64
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Quote:
Originally Posted by maracle View Post
Here's hoping it gets pushed back a bit more...my arrival is Jan 3rd. Give those hard working collections agents a few days off for the new year, eh?
Mine is the 4th.
Eastbay1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 09, 9:03 am   #65
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald & Sapphire; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Ambassador; CarlsonConcierge; AirMilesGold
Quote:
Originally Posted by britenbsas View Post
Ain't gonna happen. There are so many things Argentina has that Uruguay doesn't I wouldn't know where to start the list. Buenos Aires/Argentina will continue to be one of the most visited destinations in South America, reciprocity fee or no reciprocity fee
Cheap wine and beef is good enough in Uruguay. Not to mention I can buy Havana alfajores in Santiago and dulce de leche at my local Loblaws! Otherwise not much more to see in BA or elsewhere in Argentina for me until you build a museum of atonement for the horrors of the years of the generals. Anyhow, I'll be spreading the word about keeping clear of this outrage.

Last edited by Shareholder; Dec 21, 09 at 9:08 am.
Shareholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 09, 10:51 am   #66
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Quote:
Anyhow, I'll be spreading the word about keeping clear of this outrage.
Please do. Keep the place free for tourists from Europe (lots already) and from Latin America (quite a few too).
Old Dec 21, 09, 11:23 am   #67

Quote:
Cheap wine and beef is good enough in Uruguay. Not to mention I can buy Havana alfajores in Santiago and dulce de leche at my local Loblaws! Otherwise not much more to see in BA or elsewhere in Argentina for me until you build a museum of atonement for the horrors of the years of the generals. Anyhow, I'll be spreading the word about keeping clear of this outrage.
Not much more? You haven't even listed one sight or natural wonder that this country has to offer. I suggest you do a lot more reading of the guidebooks or maybe you just want to eat and drink and not see any of the amazing things on offer here?

Anyway, enjoy Uruguay and if you run out of alfajores I'll be happy to ship you a parcel every now and then subject to a 50% reciprocity surcharge which is what I get charged if I import anything from the US or Canada
Old Dec 21, 09, 11:50 am   #68

The Administration of Argentinian National Parks charges Australians 2-3 times the amount it charges Argentinians to enter places like Iguazu and Los Glaciares. Perhaps in the interests of fainess and reciprocity, Argentinians should pay the same premium to visit Government-funded sites in Australia.
3544quebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 09, 12:24 pm   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3544quebec View Post
The Administration of Argentinian National Parks charges Australians 2-3 times the amount it charges Argentinians to enter places like Iguazu and Los Glaciares. Perhaps in the interests of fainess and reciprocity, Argentinians should pay the same premium to visit Government-funded sites in Australia.
This has nothing to do with the reciprocity fee and has been discussed here before. The fee for a foreigner to enter the parks here is the standard rate; citizens/residents get a discount. There is a difference between this and charging a premium. Indeed, many countries offer a reduced rate entry to national parks/monuments for its own citizens
Old Dec 21, 09, 12:38 pm   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by britenbsas View Post
This has nothing to do with the reciprocity fee and has been discussed here before. The fee for a foreigner to enter the parks here is the standard rate; citizens/residents get a discount. There is a difference between this and charging a premium. Indeed, many countries offer a reduced rate entry to national parks/monuments for its own citizens
It has nothing to do with the reciprocity fee and it has everything to do with reciprocity - probably more so that your previous post about a 50% reciprocity import surcharge which I presume is charged by the Argentinian Government. So a better example in that case would be the US or Canadian goverment applying a 50% reciprocity surcharge on exports of alfajores from Argentina to their countries.

And I don't think the fact that something has been discussed before precludes it being discussed again.

And the argument that "The fee for a foreigner to enter the parks here is the standard rate; citizens/residents get a discount. There is a difference between this and charging a premium" is tenuous in the extreme.
Old Dec 21, 09, 12:46 pm   #71

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the reciprocity fee and it has everything to do with reciprocity
If true reciprocity for everything is what you're looking for, maybe citizens of Chicago should be charged 9 times the entry fee to visit art galleries in Australia given that an Australian would have to pay the same premium to enter the Art Institute of Chicago?

http://www.artic.edu/aic/visitor_inf..._Fee_FAQ_.html

Quote:
And I don't think the fact that something has been discussed before precludes it being discussed again.
Agreed. I was merely pointing out that the subject has come up before in the Argentina forum.
Old Dec 21, 09, 12:47 pm   #72

Quote:
And the argument that "The fee for a foreigner to enter the parks here is the standard rate; citizens/residents get a discount. There is a difference between this and charging a premium" is tenuous in the extreme.
Subtle the difference may be but it IS different. And as I mentioned before, charging citizens/residents a reduced entry fee is common the world over.
Old Dec 21, 09, 1:29 pm   #73

As far as I'm aware Museums /Attractions here in Australia do not charge foreigners premiums for a visit (except the occasional 'Locals Deals" that some private operators offer to eg residents of Cairns to get a bit more than just their usual tourist trade). But it is the Argentinian Government that is saying that we will charge on the basis of reciprocity and following the same logic it would be perfectly reasonable for Australian National Parks to apply the same principle to those countries that charge our citizens a premium to visit their sites.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem paying 60 pesos to enter Iguazu NP and I don't have any issue with Argentinians paying 20 pesos or people from Misiones (is that the province?) paying zero pesos.

I have a real problem with this idea of reciprocity. IMHO it is a pointless tax which will be of some detriment to Argentinian tourism (how much I can't quantify), penalises some tourists with a charge of upwards of $US100 on each visit to Argentina and will have zero benefit for Argentinians in terms of making it easier/cheaper for them to get visas/enter other countries.

US/Canadian/Australian visa regulations are about border protection/labour control/immigration control - not about punishing the Argentinians. The fees charged are basically about cost recovery. The Argentinian reciprocity fees are it seems about punishment and national pride - is that a good basis for a tax/foreign relations? It probably won't even help the beleaguered Argentinian budget in that the bureaucracy to collect it will probably eat up all the revenue.

I've visited Argentina at least 30 times in the last 20 years (all leisure trips/occasional conference). I think that Buenos Aires is one of the world's great cities. At present my travel interest has shifted to Brasil but coming from Australia that means transiting Buenos Aires and I would usually spend 5 days there 3 times a year (and love it) The reality is that if I have to pay a $US100 reciprocity fee each time and add on around $US30 for the Airport Tax and $US80 for return remises, then I'll probably decide that $US210 in 'stopover costs' is more than I'm willing to pay and I'll spend an extra 5 days in Brasil and just transit EZE or SCL and avoid all that.

Is my situation typical? Probably not. Will La K take notice of my protestations? Doubtful. At least (lamentably) I won't be missing any Mercedes Sosa concerts
Old Dec 21, 09, 2:10 pm   #74

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlanet View Post
With due respect and no offence meant, you are too cheap or poor...
Wow, strong words.

I cannot speak for Shareholder, but I'll be more than happy to take my tourist dollars to Asia in the future. It's not that much farther, and I've yet to not feel welcomed.
hobo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 09, 2:11 pm   #75
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Quote:
I'll spend my money next door in Chile and Uruguay. In Chile I get a multi-visit visa that lasts for the life of my passport. I can then fly non-stop on LAN or PLUNA to MVD and enjoy an even cheaper vacation and meals, and get a sales tax rebate credited directly to my credit card account! This is an opportunity for Uruguay to syphon thousands of visitors from Argentina if they play their cards right.
a) you can get tax rebates credited to your credit card amount in Argentina...

b) Uruguay is not an alternative to Argentina.... no disrespect meant but there is no comparison. And Chile is even worse off than Uruguay. Both these destinations simply cant compare to Argentina, entry fee or not.