Search

Visa Reciprocity fee to start December 20, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ozstamps
China is actually 72 hours, as long as you arrive in main city and leave via that city, and advise carrier in advance.
Actually when it first began it was 24 hours, and only for certain cities. It was an experiment by China and once they realized it worked, they expanded it. The idea wasn't simply to boost tourism, rather it was to allow those people who were on long transits to take a cab into the city and both spend a bit of money and to get to know the city and maybe return sometime.

Now China has a vastly higher number of international transits than Argentina so it's a much bigger deal to them. But China also has a much tighter visa policy (yes this is about visas) so the fact that the compliance of their model actually works is critical.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Those who have to pay the reciprocity fee are not covered by the ''in transit'' rule. As you will have to enter Argentina to get from AEP-EZE I'm afraid you'll have to pay.
I'm pretty sure that the transit rule applies and people who normally pay the reciprocity fee, do not have to pay when it transit at EZE.

From the US State Dept website...
The fee applies only to bearers of tourist passports. Travelers bearing diplomatic or official passports are required to get visas prior to arrival in Argentina but are not charged the reciprocity fee, nor are travelers transiting and not entering Argentina.

In my case I am transiting and entering Argentina due to the fact that my transit airport is actually two airports separated by many kilometers.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm pretty sure that the transit rule applies and people who normally pay the reciprocity fee, do not have to pay when it transit at EZE.
That's true, but that's not what you're doing.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In my case I am transiting and entering Argentina due to the fact that my transit airport is actually two airports separated by many kilometers.
Transiting at EZE can all be done airside so there is no problem there.
However as I stated before because you are transiting between the two airports which involves having to enter the country you will still have to pay.
Why didn't you pick a GRU-EZE flight instead? You may be able to change it for a small fee.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Transiting at EZE can all be done airside so there is no problem there.
However as I stated before because you are transiting between the two airports which involves having to enter the country you will still have to pay.
Why didn't you pick a GRU-EZE flight instead? You may be able to change it for a small fee.
Hiddy, I read your statement "Those who have to pay the reciprocity fee are not covered by the ''in transit'' rule." as saying that we would have to pay the fee even if in EZE transit. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

As for a GRU-EZE flight, the cost was significantly higher. This is near the end of the WC FYI. Also I thought it a great idea to take a long layover and have a nice dinner in town. It seemed a great idea until I found out about this new fee. So dinner is going to cost me $160 extra!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ozstamps
China is actually 72 hours, as long as you arrive in main city and leave via that city, and advise carrier in advance.
Your statement is incorrect. A handful of cities in China allow a 72 hour TWOV. Many more international airports in china only allow a 24 hour TWOV, and I recall seeing one or two that don't allow it at all.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
While I may share your dislike for this reciprocity fee, your statement that Argentina has lost "a fortune" on tourism because of this fee is simply wrong, and there is no hard evidence to support this.
What's a fortune? I know many people that have decided not to go to Argentina because of this fee. Is 1 million a fortune? 10 million? 100 million?

How can you say it's "simply wrong" when you have no credible evidence to back it up. Is Argentina's government known for publishing credible economic data? What's the "official" inflation rate they're reporting?

It seems you're only saying that no "real" tourists are driven away by the fees? This type of elitist attitude does not help you bring more tourists to the country.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:26 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
What's a fortune? I know many people that have decided not to go to Argentina because of this fee. Is 1 million a fortune? 10 million? 100 million?
Exactly.... the argument works both ways......
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I know many people that have decided not to go to Argentina because of this fee.
I don't dispute this... but I must ask.... what is the definition of "many"...?

Does this mean that your data point is statistically meaningful....?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I don't dispute this... but I must ask.... what is the definition of "many"...?

Does this mean that your data point is statistically meaningful....?
Is there a reason why you responded two times to essentially the same part of my response to you?

You asserted that it hasn't hurt Argentina. As a resident of Argentina, I'd think you'd have some facts to back up your assertions. How many foreign tourists per year, etc. I have no idea if they publish it or not, but most countries do.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The trend apart from the odd blip seems to be of steadily rising tourist numbers over the last few years and one which is set to continue.

It wouldn't surprise me if the reciprocity fee is actually having a positive effect on the number of returning tourists.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It wouldn't surprise me if the reciprocity fee is actually having a positive effect on the number of returning tourists.
It certainly crossed my mind. I want to get my $160 worth!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:08 pm

It certainly crossed my mind. I want to get my $160 worth!
Another interesting data point..... ^
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:12 pm

Yes, there must be a number of tourists who upon learning that there is a reciprocity fee must think that surely, if this place requires an extra charge, it must be so attractive, therefore I must make sure I visit it.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
Yes, there must be a number of tourists who upon learning that there is a reciprocity fee must think that surely, if this place requires an extra charge, it must be so attractive, therefore I must make sure I visit it.
No, you've missed the point. If a tourist or business traveler paid the reciprocity fee the first time, and that purchase is good for 10 more years of visits, then that person may feel inclined to return again and again to get their money's worth. Or at least not fret about returning because they won't have to pay the fee again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.