Travel Tools - TripIt calendar to WM6 through Google Calenda... times off -4 hours... help?
Jun 5, 08, 2:32 pm
I currently use TripIt to manage all of my travel info like dates, times, flight numbers, hotel/car confirmation numbers, check-in/out times, car pickup/drop off times, restaurant reservations, ect. I have TripIt export my itineraries to my Google Calendar. I then sync my Google Calendar to my Blackjack II w/ WM6 using GCalSync. When the itinerary arrives on my phone, every entry is off by -4 hours. Same happens when I use any of the different Google Calendar sync applications (like OggSync). I used the EXACT same setup on my Blackjack I running WM5 and everything worked perfectly, but now on the Blackjack II running WM6 everything is off by -4 hours. Can anyone help? I assume it's a phone setting but I've tried every setting I can find to no avail.
Again, the flow of data is TripIt -> Google Calendar -> GCalSync -> Blackjack II w/ WM6.
It worked correctly on TripIt -> Google Calendar -> GCalSync -> Blackjack I w/ WM5.
Jun 7, 08, 8:03 am
Something in the chain has the timezone wrong. All of these applications use UTC for storing the time and allow the local device to translate this into local time based on the time zone it is in. This is how an Outlook appointment for 12:00 in NY sent to someone in LA will show up there in Outlook as an appointment at 9:00.
There is a good chance it is your PC. Most people's PC's are set to Pacific Time, since that is how Windows first installs. If all you ever do is look at the time in different systems via your PC, they all look fine, because they all think you are in Washington State and you have the clock set to your local time.
Check by double clicking on the clock in the system tray and see what it says beneath the calender - the current time zone is displayed there.
Your phone is probably set to get the time from the mobile network and is guaranteed to be correct in that case, since it knows what timezone it s in. However insure that it is set to get it from the network otherwise it will be using a manual timezone setting which may be incorrect.
Jun 7, 08, 11:44 am
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/522; U; en))
You might also want to ping the foks at tripit. They are very helpful usually and may have some ideas. I suspect its a matter of one calendar (perhaps gcal) being set to the wrong time as noted in the above post
Jun 10, 08, 8:54 am
Every stop along the way has the timezone set properly (TripIt, Google Calendar, Blackjack II). Everything displays correctly when I log in to TripIt. Everything displayrs correctly when I log in to Google Calendar on my PC. The shift is only showing up on the phone.
The crazy thing is if I pop my sim out of my SIM out of my Blackjack II and into my old Blackjack (which has the exact same GCal setup) everything syncs properly with the correct time displayed. This leads me to beleive it's a problem on the phone end but it's not an obvious time zone setting as I've checked, double checked, reset, patched, updated, ect. I've tried manual time zone settings on the phone. Nothing seems to fix it.
I'll try contacting TripIt next... the fact that I'm going through Google Calendar and GCal to get the data to my phone makes me think they might not be able to help, but I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks!