United MileagePlus (Consolidated) - NRT-BKK GPU success potential?
Aug 2, 12, 9:01 am
I've been looking to use a GPU (econ->biz) between NRT and BKK and have not been able to find any R space at booking.
I'm wondering before I play the GPU lottery on this route if anyone has better information on upgrade sucess on this route. Is this elite heavy or Biz travel heavy route where the chance of GPU sucess is low?
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere...I've searched the threads but have not been able to find any recent information on this...
try getmyupgrade.com or expertflyer .... really helps.
but i do notice that UA is a bit tight on R space on NRT-SIN/BKK far out from the departure date.
Aug 2, 12, 9:42 am
Thanks 787fan! Have not seen getmyupgrade.com before. Looks useful, but unfortunately this website does not seem to have BKK as a destination. Expertflyer requires a subscription but maybe this is worth it given the 'new' UA methods for processing UGs...which would be useful if I do decide to play the GPU lottery on this route.
Aug 2, 12, 9:47 am
R space is rationed and dribbled out. DON'T do a Friday departure. T-W-Th should be OK. not sure of weekends. Look at UA availabiility for your preferred day. Have cleared 8 of 10 over last 2 years. Misses were Fridays. Lots of tired businessmen willing to pay to get out of tokyo and go to BKK
Aug 2, 12, 11:18 am
I had success on all but one UA flights from NRT-BKK UG with GPU. Have not flown since the takeover. All bets are off now. One thing to add - watch carefully for Japanese national holidays. The one time I didn't get UG on that route, it was a Japanese national holiday and the plane was booked solid with Japanese looking for a break.
Aug 2, 12, 11:33 am
I have had good success rates on the NRT-BKK and VV route, typically for mid-week travel. If you are flexible enough to travel mid week, it should be OK.
My normal plan is finding confirmed R space for the TPAC leg and be willing to waitlist for the NRT-BKK leg when coming from US.
If originating from NRT, it would be tougher to cough up to the W fare with no guarantee for any value for the upcharge.... What is the price differential? That would play a big part in the decision for me....
Aug 2, 12, 11:46 am
Has anyone else had success with GPUs and not had them pulled recently? I used two about 10 days ago and they weren't pulled from my account. One was actually pulled when I made the request, but then re-appeared in my account even though I got the upgrade.