Travel Products - Recommendation for new carry-on luggage
Jul 18, 12, 12:47 pm
I am looking to replace the wheeled carry-on that I have had for years.
I want something very TSA friendly.
I travel with a laptop, iPad, cell phone, etc.
I'd like to keep as much of my stuff in my bag when I go through security as possible.
Once I'm on the plane I'd like a very easy way to remove those items from the bag so I can use them.
I need something big enough for a night or two.
If it was soft-sided so that it would be easy to fit in any available space that would be great.
Sometimes I travel with a dog. With a lead in one hand, pulling a carry-on with the other can be a bother. So something that goes over the shoulder or back might be a better solution.
Thanks for any thoughts or advice!
Jul 18, 12, 3:35 pm
My suggestion would be a Rimowa Salsa Air or a Salsa Hybrid, carry-on.
1. Good replacement luggage for many years of use.
2. 5 year warranty honored world-wide. Problem in Italy ? Just call. FEDEX next day.
3. TSA locks are built-in, recessed, and very easy to use.
3. Both models perfect for laptop, tablets, cells, mp3, earphones, etc. The hybrid has soft zip Cordura pockets built-in on the outside, that can be locked. I can load up my Salsa Air with a ton of electronics, shoes, clothes, and more.
4. Easy breeze through security checks.
5. The case lays in on any side, with the zippers organized to the top or side ahead of time. Either will work in the overhead or under the seat.
6. I've use mine for 2 weeks, and a met a family of four from Switzerland that travelled in Brasil for a month with only one Salsa Air carry-on case per person. No waiting for the bags to be unloaded. Just grab it and go, and beat the crowd waiting behind.
7. Flexible polycarbonate, or polycarbonate with Cordura pockets.
8. A very light case, and with 4 wheels = no bother. So light you can push the case yourself using only two fingers, leaving your other hand free with the lead.
The 4 wheels will follow you and perhaps your dog if he/she vears suddenly (like our Akita does). No tip and trip overs, or struggling with a heavy, case that tracks and squeeks. The Rimowa cases glide along very easy. A Chihuahua could pull one of these.
You can see these in department or luggage stores, or online with Rimowa.com, EBAY, etc. I hope this is helpful.
Jul 18, 12, 10:06 pm
Welcome to Flyertalk. Take a look at the ebags.com TLS line, specifically for the needs you list: TLS Weekender Convertible. There is a video on the product page for the bag that shows the features. The bag holds a lot and has excellent compression straps. It has a separate laptop compartment that makes removing one very fast and easy. It has very good backpack straps with sternum strap. Those straps can be tucked into a separate compartment for times when you don't want it to look like a backpack or straps would get in the way. Many people here really like this particular bag and it's reasonably priced for what you get.
Jul 19, 12, 12:11 am
+1 for te Rimowa (no surprise there), but I would not choose the salsa air, purely because of the single-pole handle. If you have another "personal item" which you slip over the handle then it will be much more stable with a regular handle.
Even if you don't go for Rimowa then certainly consider a 4-wheel spinner, especially if you have the dog as well.
Jul 19, 12, 1:46 am
+1 for ebags for price. Have a look at the Motherlode Mini, or the more conventional cabin bags. The TLS Mobile Office may also be an option, if you have more "stuff" than clothes to carry.
For ease of TSA and a good warranty, have a look at the B&R Fuse (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Fuse-20-inch-Carry-On-Computer-Upright_VBU420C&sec=business)
You didn't say how much stuff you carry or for how long your trips are, or if you have another laptop bag. The two bags above should give you enough flexibility.