Jan 31, 12, 2:56 pm
Has anyone done this - recently? Considering the boat trip because it looks interesting and hopefully is less affected by the volcano (or am I wrong on that front)?
I would be going at the end of August which means an overnight stop as well.
Any feedback would be great. Thanks!
Feb 1, 12, 2:53 pm
August is winter, so the weather might not be great. That affects the views. You do it in two days in winter because it is really a 12 hr trip and, at that time of year, you would be finishing in the dark. There are advantages though. It is a more eerie beauty in winter and the first and last boat you take (the same ones people use for day trips) are blessedly less crowded.
The lake crossing never suffered from ash. The road, however, was closed for a long time. I have crossed by road a couple of times in winter. Although there is occasionally enough snow to close the pass, it is not common. It is a very scenic drive.
At that time of year you can probably wait until you are in the area and can look at the coming weather patterns to decide.
Feb 1, 12, 3:12 pm
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a little less excited about the 2-day journey but I'm literally at the cusp of it changing from the winter to spring schedule (prob around 8/29-30). Unfortuantely, I can't wait until 9/1 to do it. that does put a crimp in the planning.
I've read elsewhere that the views can be less than great if the weather doesn't hold up. I"m not that concerned about the views - it just seems like a cool trip to do especially with the uncertainty of flying to Bariloche these days.