United MileagePlus (Consolidated) - bankgok waiver
Traveling to BKK on the 20th of November; currently the waiver only extends to 11/18/2011. Given that the situation in Bangkok is only worsening, and now is a general health threat, is there anyone in UAL/CO that I can appeal to that may help me change my destination? I've called their general CS line and just gotten the runaround (and told wait till they extend it). However, time is running out for availability for replacement trips.....
Nov 7, 11, 6:18 pm
I've been covering this for days, the main tourist areras of Bangkok are still fine but the water is slowly spreading towards them. I would fully expect a waiver extension from UA although BKK remains open and *should* be okay. Can you call again and get a supervisor etc? The old FT advice: if you don't like the answer, call again.
I've also been monitoring the situation in BKK as UA *G award ticket next week to BKK.
Other threads (google search/flyertalk) on this topic have restated the bkk CBD is pretty much bone dry. But sandbags are up in case the waters stream into these areas, and some tourist sights - JJ Market, Grand Temple are probably not going to be accessible.
UA's last update was 04 November, so I imagine we will hear more this week. If you truly want to postpone travel, having an official waiver in place might give you more options without the need to keep calling different agents and getting the runaround.
Nov 7, 11, 7:50 pm
When I checked last week the waiver was only through November 7, so I think they'll just continue to extend as they need to instead of issuing a waiver too far out in case the situation improves.
Nov 8, 11, 12:46 am
they will probably extend it, but meanwhile, there's a thread in the Thailand forum following the flood impact in BKK that seems to be getting daily updates from ex-pats and visitors. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1268159-flooding-around-bangkok-where-how-bad.html