Recommended tour companies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended tour companies?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
We went on a Quark trip and were pleased with the trip, service, food, and excursion. Plus, the expedition leaders (zodiac drivers) were spectacular--well known in their field; we seen three on TV documentaries since our return.

Maybe there are more expensive trips available, or more luxusious ships (if we had a pool on our ship, I doubt we would have used it!), but I did not think we missed out on anything.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:20 am

Peregrine's Akademik Sergey Vavilov and LOVED it

Hi Guys,

I went in December 2007 on the Vavilov and thought it was fantastic.

A key point to consider is to be on a smaller vessel: The tourism rules agreed to by the countries that run tour operations in Antarctica is to limit tourists on shore to 100 at a time... the Vavilov had 89 so there was no time when I couldn't go ashore on a landing expedition. I have had friends go on larger cruises and they go ashore for shorter periods, or have to take turns at different sites.

A benefit that I appreciated with Peregrine is they have experts in various fields aboard... who provide insight into various aspects: Tourism, penguins, other birds, rock formations, history, photography, etc.

The photography expert suggested that we get down to the level of the penguins and let them come to us (the rules say you have to stay 5 meters away, but if they come to you, it's all good). I lay on the ground (in penguin ...., no less), and one guy came to within 8 inches of my face... Great advise, great pictures, and most importantly great experience!

Finally, if there is a camp-on-shore option, I'd recommend you take it and sleep in a bivvy sack under the open sky... it's actually quite warm and a fantastic experience!

Enjoy your trip! I know I'll be back one day.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Very excited - about to book my adventure tomorrow for next winter / Antarctic summer. i decided to go with GAP just b/c I'm going alone and they don't charge a single supplement. I have a stranger roomie but again - don't plan on being in the room unless the waves get to me through the Drake
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:57 pm

It's a bit overdue, but my wife and I went on a 11 day trip December 2007 aboard the Polar Star which covered the Antarctic Peninsula. We used Expedition Trips and were really happy with our interactions with them... they even provided us with 2 fleece caps as a nice added bonus prior to the trip

The Polar Star was not at all luxurious, but we did not mind. We had our own cabin with a full size bed and private bath... most cabins had 2 singles, some had private baths. We got upgraded for free to that larger cabin about 1 month prior to the trip. ^^^

Once on board we each got our own red Polar Star jacket which was wind/rain proof. You needed to specify size beforehand. It worked out nicely and it was one less thing to pack. Layers is the key and the folks at Expedition Trips gave us a detailed packing list of what to bring and we followed it very closely. Buy your own boots -- something like a Muck will serve you well and be SUPER comfortable as opposed to the free ones they provide onboard.

The Drake was pretty awful on the way there, but on the way back it was nice and calm (aka Drake Lake). However, I would do it over again in a heartbeat regardless of how the Drake is coming or going. It's really an experience of a lifetime.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:17 pm

does anyone have any experiences going through tauck/a&k?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: aa, delta, amex, ba
I worked with

Quark (specifically) Jessica and she has been wonderful and attentive. Leaving 12/4/14
Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:15 pm

My question is in regards to the Quark Expeditions. I was reading over some of the terms and it says an initial deposit of at least 20% is required, but then final payment is not due until 120 days before you leave. Is there a set payment plan, or if your trip is a year away, you can just pay it all 4 months before you leave?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:48 pm

You could pay it all at 120 days, but you'll risk the VERY limited amount of tours being sold out by that point. For example, I just purchased my cabin this past week (11 months out) and I got the last of the triple cabin available (which is by far the cheapest available option on the ship). You can look at your intended cabin on Quark's website and you'll see what cabins are already sold out. If you call them you can get a better idea of how many are left to determine just how critical the deposit may be currently.

Originally Posted by Spicpics
My question is in regards to the Quark Expeditions. I was reading over some of the terms and it says an initial deposit of at least 20% is required, but then final payment is not due until 120 days before you leave. Is there a set payment plan, or if your trip is a year away, you can just pay it all 4 months before you leave?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:56 pm

I know there's websites out there that let you compare multiple guided trips, to places like Antarctica, from different tour operators, and also let you see reviews for them (for example I know Stride Travel is one of them). If you're looking at a lot of different tour operators that might be helpful.

Disclaimer: I know someone that works at the company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.