Wiki Posts
Search

FT Antarctica DO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
FT Antarctica DO

I saw the post the other day on OMNI about the existence of this forum and that picked my curiosity. So anybody willing to go? I took some preliminary information and it cost about 3000-4000$ for a 12 days, twin cabin expedition from USH. I would like to get a list of persons that are interested, if there is a significant amount I will try to get us a deal and let you know.

So please sign-up if you would probably participate, at around that cost, for an FT Antarctica DO in mid-january 2007. That seems to be the best time of the year to go, about 20+ hours of daylight and the temperature is not bad.

So far :

frankytalia
the_nomad
Lehava
kflyer2
Guava
Jaimito Cartero
MKE-MR
tenmoc
Mrs & Mr. flygirl555

Last edited by Fiumicino; Mar 5, 2006 at 8:28 am
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:55 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's possible to get to USH on OneWorld. There is a daily flight from Puerto Montt, Chile, to Ushuaiai, Argentina, on LAN.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:40 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by frankytalia
How about organizing something? No way to get to USH on *A award...
USH isn't even close to Antarctica.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daysleeper
USH isn't even close to Antarctica.
I know, but isn't where most people fly to to arrange a trip to Antarctica? Where would you fly to than!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:21 am

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
Originally Posted by frankytalia
How about organizing something? No way to get to USH on *A award...
Good idea.

I'll probably be up for it. ^ But it's a tad pricey, any lines on a decent deal?
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the_nomad
Good idea.

I'll probably be up for it. ^ But it's a tad pricey, any lines on a decent deal?
It starts at about 3 000-4 000$ for a 12 days, twin cabin. My first post was a joke, but I have talked about it today with a friend and I would do it. The best seems to be in january-february, 20+ hours of daylight. Weather around 30-40 farenheits at that time. I will update my first post with a list of people that are interested. If I get a reasonable number of people that would be willing to go, I will try to get us a deal.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:09 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
If it could be done for a reasonable price I think this would be an amazing experience, pls put me on the list to keep updated on details
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, DL Silver, SPG Lifetime Gold
Me too!

I would be interested but would prefer less than 12 days if at all possible. Please keep me updated on this trip!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by kflyer2
I would be interested but would prefer less than 12 days if at all possible. Please keep me updated on this trip!
The shortest trips take 12 days, it takes 2 days alone to get there from USH, and that isn't the antarctic continent, just one of the islands.

And just in case you think to go there is a funny idea, then google for "drake passage and seasick" .
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:20 pm

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
do you actually get to land on Antartica, or just look at it from a boat, or land on an island nearby?
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tristan727
do you actually get to land on Antartica, or just look at it from a boat, or land on an island nearby?
What I would like to organize is on a boat of maximum 100 persons. There is a rule right now that no more than 100 persons may land at the same place in Antarctica. What we are looking for is about 5-6 days of landing opportunities with some easy to medium trekking.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

It sounds intriguing. I talked to a very experienced traveler on a plane once; he said his trip to Antartica was the most amazing trip of his life.

Put me +1 on the ever so tentative list.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I talked to a very experienced traveler on a plane once; he said his trip to Antartica was the most amazing trip of his life.
Been there. And it was.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:44 pm

FT DOs are short events, nothing in the 10-14 days range and normally it doesn't involve being seasick for 6 days.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingmama
Been there. And it was.
Been there too.
Best trip of my life.

But to get there isn't a very pleasant expirience, be prepared for the roughest sea on earth and a seasickness worse than you can dream of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.