Who's actually been?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's actually been?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2004, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you are going to go, you might as well bust out a little run while you are there...

http://www.marathontour.com/antarctica/index.shtml
Old Mar 20, 2004, 2:02 pm

I took a three week cruise from Argentina to the Falkland Island, South Georgia, and the Antartic peninsula this year (Jan 2004).

The icebergs, penguins, birds, whales are spectacular and are a must see.

If you are going be VERY careful in the selection of the ship or a very expensive trip could turn up lacking.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 2:19 pm

Like Viajera, my daughter and I also went with Marine Expeditions - now unfortunately out of business. It was a totally fabulous trip and I was ready to turn around and do it again if I could have afforded it.

One caveat in chosing a cruise - international treaties limit cruise ships to landing only 100 passengers on shore at a time so as not to endanger the environment. That means if you're on a big ship with several hundred passengers, you won't get to go ashore as often as you would if you were on a small ship with only 100 or so passengers. In this case, smaller is better.

And yes, the penguins really do stink. Big time! But they're so cute, who cares? We weren't allowed to approach the penguins - but no one told the penguins that, so they were quite fearless in approaching us. Worked out pretty well that way.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 9:37 pm

It's a harsh continent

There are fly overs and the cruises and the trips to the South Pole. Plus working there.

To fly to the South Pole ($30K) and other outrageously expensive trips go to:

http://www.adventure-network.com/

They run a camp out of Patriot Hills staging trips to the South Pole. Because the weather can be so bad there (ie blizzards lasting two weeks, shear winds off the mountains over 100 mph, and other fun) they say if you make your way back to Punta Arenas the next year you can have another go at the Pole for free if you fail the first time. They also do charter flights to places such as Vinson Massif -- tallest mountain on the continent. Plus you can maybe try to work for them. They have a staff of about 20 there; mostly Kiwis and Brits.

To work for the US Antarctic Program:

http://www.polar.org

Do you hold an advanced degree? MA, MS, PhD, or JD? Too bad for you! Your best chance is if you have a vocational school education. Not that you can't get a job with an advanced degree but it is more likely to be something like a dish washer, janitor, or general assistant (general laborer). The better jobs go to people who know how to do something like carpenter, electrician, or heavy equipment operator.

Other countries with stuff down there:
British
New Zealand
Italy
Russians (don't go with them, you'll die!)
Chile
Old Jun 25, 2004, 2:02 pm

I went to the geographic south pole with Adventure Network last January for a special price of $17,500. Due to weather the 1 week trip ended up being 3 weeks. One of the most incredible things I've done.

I went to the georgraphic north pole with Intrav for $25,000 last July. This was a 2 week trip above a Russian ice breaker.

I am currently looking for the east pole and west pole
Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by AAaLot
I went to the geographic south pole with Adventure Network last January for a special price of $17,500. Due to weather the 1 week trip ended up being 3 weeks. One of the most incredible things I've done.
How did you get that special price?
Old Jun 25, 2004, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
How did you get that special price?
A special price to fill specific dates.

The usual price is $25,000. I can refer anyone to a $5,000 discount to $20,000. Please let me know if anyone needs a referral.

However, they did not fly to the SP this year. Hopefully they start up again next year.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 7:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by AAaLot
The usual price is $25,000. I can refer anyone to a $5,000 discount to $20,000. Please let me know if anyone needs a referral.

However, they did not fly to the SP this year. Hopefully they start up again next year.
According to this itinerary for 2004/2005, they are now asking for US$33,000.00 for a trip to the South Pole.
Old Jul 4, 2004, 7:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Anyone been on these charter flights?
Old Jul 8, 2004, 2:07 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Anyone been on these charter flights?
Pretty worthless if you ask me.
Save the money and do a real trip to Antarctica.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by pinniped
If you are going to go, you might as well bust out a little run while you are there...

http://www.marathontour.com/antarctica/index.shtml

I'm going on this trip -- February 2005 with a buddy of mine. Can't wait. Trying to join the 7 continents Marathon Club. (This will be continent #2, but is by far the hardest one to get). Over the next few years plan to run the other 5 continents.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 7:08 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bigboofer
If you are going be VERY careful in the selection of the ship or a very expensive trip could turn up lacking.
any tips or guidelines to look for that you could share?
Old Sep 11, 2004, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
any tips or guidelines to look for that you could share?
You should look for recommendations from other ppl who travelled in this region. I travelled with "Quark Expeditions" 2 times and can recommend them wholeheartedly.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:08 pm

choppy water?

was the cruise in open water rough?
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by ninjastove
was the cruise in open water rough?
More than rough in the Drake Passage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.