Recent Antarctic Experience - ask away!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Facts about Antarctica:
  • The Antarctic ice sheet holds about 90% of the fresh water that is present on the surface of Earth.
  • The ice sheet of Antarctica has been in existence for at least 40 million years.

More facts here:
http://www.factslides.com/s-Antarctica

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

This forum is understandably not very active but I wanted to throw my hat in the ring as a resource for anyone who's got questions about planning an Antarctic expedition cruise. I just returned last month from my own cruise aboard a Quark ship and it was the trip of a lifetime. Feel free to PM me or post here for any questions!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:31 pm

Can you tell us a little about what expedition you went on and where you visited? I'm also curious as to what the demographics on the ship were like.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:54 pm

I'm going on a Quark trip later this year on the Ocean Diamond. Did you go kayaking or camping? I am signed up for both but might drop the kayaking.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Not sure about Quark, but I did the kayaking option on an Antarctica XXI cruise and it was very much worth it. Phenomenal really. I also signed up for optional snowshoeing (they didn't have a camping option) and the combo was great. Made for a much more interesting and active trip, and we did not feel we missed out on anything that others got to do either. The way it worked on our ship, we were always the first ones to go out, and usually the last ones back in (since we'd do the landing after kayaking, or spend time with penguins after doing a snowshoe hike).
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: BA GfL
I also went to Antarctica last Dec-Jan, on a One Ocean expedition (the ship was the Akademik Ioffe). We went to the Falklands, South Georgia, and the Antarctic Peninsula. Fantastic operation and, as jetsetter777 said, the trip of a lifetime.

Although I am a kayaker at home, I opted not to do the kayak portion, and I was glad of it because I definitely felt that the kayakers missed out on some things both on land and in the Zodiacs. They did have some nice experiences that we non-kayakers didn't have, but it seemed like those were more limited. I never, ever got bored with what we were doing.

To answer Big4Flyer's question about demographics on the ship, on my voyage there were passengers ranging from early 20s to late 80s. There was a substantial contingent of 20- and 30-somethings, which surprised me, because at that age I could never have afforded that trip! I am 49 and I felt like that was pretty much the median age. And one gentleman had his 87th birthday on the boat--but he still got around and did everything!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Can you tell us a little about what expedition you went on and where you visited? I'm also curious as to what the demographics on the ship were like.

Hello! I was on Ocean Endeavour (Quark ship) and we did the Antarctic Explorer which was a peninsular trip with two continental landings. I participated in SUP (paddleboarding), camping, and polar plunge. I loved all of it. The demographics surprised me. We had an age range from about 20s (backpacker types) up to maybe 60s. lots of couples but also a surprising number of solo travelers. Quite a few husbands or wives whose spouses didn't want to make the trip. Mainly American, EU, AU, NZ passengers with some small travel groups from India and China. Very interesting group, very social for the most part, many very well traveled folks, and everyone generally had an adventurous attitude.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spicpics
I'm going on a Quark trip later this year on the Ocean Diamond. Did you go kayaking or camping? I am signed up for both but might drop the kayaking.
Did camping and paddleboarding. We went back and forth on whether to sign up for Kayaking - it was a really tough decision but we decided to save the $ for other activities. That said, the Kayakers seemed to have a great time. Quark does a full daily writeup of the Kayak program (with pictures provided) and when I read that I was really impressed with how thorough it was.

If they had offered a one-time Kayaking, I'd probably have paid for that, but I didn't want to do it 2x a day.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:34 am

My wife and I are going in Feb 2018 with Aurora Expeditions on their Polar Pioneer ship. Sail there/fly back (to/from Punto Arenas). 12 days trip start to finish.
We signed up to do the snorkelling (done most days). Small ship- 54 paying passengers, so they do lots of landings (2-3 a day), and apparently the ship can navigate better to places the big ones can't.

I don't have any specific question, but if you have any tips or advice I'd be glad to hear it. I've done a lot of research already, and already own (or purchased) everything we'll need....clothing, camera gear, dry bags, DSLRs, GoPro, power adapters, etc, etc. But perhaps something surprised you, you wished you'd taken something, or what things did you take that weren't used?

Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:27 pm

The only thing I wish I'd taken was less clothing. I was on my boat for 19 days and figured people might not want to see me wearing the same pair of fleece pants every single day (for instance), so I brought two pairs, five long-sleeved shirts, two fleece tops, etc. In the event, everyone else was wearing the same pair of fleece pants every day and I realized I could have lightened up my bag by several items.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Looking to go over NYE 2018-19 with Oceanwide Expeditions on the Ortelius. Any experience with those folks?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
Looking to go over NYE 2018-19 with Oceanwide Expeditions on the Ortelius. Any experience with those folks?
Company yes, time yes (12/31), boat was Plancius though. Excellent, truely excellent (and if you see my other posts I don't say that :P) - did the full Falklands, S.Georgia, Antarctica thing.

Any specific questions? I'll try to remember to check back.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:02 am

I've also done a trip, through the Ross Sea for a month on the Ortelius. If anyone needs any info about it, feel free! Seems like a lot of people wanting to answer questions but not so man y asking them, which makes sense because after being in Antarctica everyone seems to love talking about their trip
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:15 pm

Ditto - Akedemik Ioffe with One Ocean adventures :P

As I'm sure is the case with everyone.... you go once and think you check it off the list, but the desire to go back is.....strong!!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:21 pm

Yay One Ocean! Immediately after getting off the boat, my new friends and I were already plotting our next ice-filled adventure with them. Six of us are booked for the NW Passage/Greenland trip this coming August. Polar bears! Beluga whales! Can’t wait.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Yay One Ocean! Immediately after getting off the boat, my new friends and I were already plotting our next ice-filled adventure with them. Six of us are booked for the NW Passage/Greenland trip this coming August. Polar bears! Beluga whales! Can’t wait.
That's awesome!

I'm relaly looking forward to jumping on a boat with them again, just need to find the time.................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.