Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Antarctica > Antarctica
Reload this Page >

Antarctica for someone prone to seasickness

Antarctica for someone prone to seasickness

Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Question Antarctica for someone prone to seasickness

Hoping to get some advice from people who've been to Antarctica who are prone to being seasick on options that may be more suitable. I'm quite prone to seasickness, so the idea of being on a boat for extended periods of time in the roughest waters in the world isn't exactly my idea of bliss. That being said, Antarctica is on my bucket list, and I'd like to see it a bit closer than just a fly-over.

I've actually never been on a cruise before (closest would have been a one-night overnight boat trip in Norway, where I managed to survive by doping myself up on Gravol). I've been seasick a number of times on short day trips, though, and it's been pretty miserable.

Any experiences to share, or any suggestions on tours that would be more suitable to someone who is prone to seasickness? Obviously, I'm thinking a larger boat would likely be a smoother ride, but would love any more specific ideas.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 3:59 pm

Hi...I was just there this winter. I had never been seasick before so I wasn't sure if I would have problems on the Drake or not, but just to be safe I got a prescription for phenergan (anti-nausea meds) from my doctor.

And we had two "very calm" crossings--one that the captain said was the calmest crossing they'd had all season--but I did feel woozy the first morning, so I took a phenergan, and I felt totally fine after that. I kept taking them for the duration of our crossings. They make you sleepy but I found that I could force myself to stay awake if I really wanted to, but ultimately I'd rather sleep and miss out on a lecture or two than feel sick.

That said, we went with Quark, who does offer some "fly the drake" expeditions, where you fly from Chile and meet up with the ship on King George Island. You might look into those.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: UA G, AA, SQ, Bonvoy T, Priority Pass
The Union Glacier Camp

How much are you looking to do there? If you want to get "boots on the ground" and check it off the list, the King George Island options could be good, and more affordable. Victory Adventure Expeditions (http://www.victory-cruises.com/fly_a...ca.voyage.html) offers one opportunity, with both a day trip and an overnight option. You'll see penguins, so that's cool, but I have not used them so cannot attest to the company's quality.

If you want to see some serious Antarctica and do something intense, I strongly recommend Adventure Network International, which runs a camp at Union Glacier (http://www.adventure-network.com/union-glacier-camp). It's at 80 degrees south, which is well inland and lets you see the Antarctica you saw in National Geographic as a kid. I was there for the Antarctic Ice Marathon (if you're a runner, that's the best way to get all 7 continents done) and they also have visits to the South Pole and a few days' trip to a penguin colony. ANI's trips are more expensive, but well worth it -- you get a few days of living on the continent and it can be a life-changing experience.

Have fun, whatever you do!!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:53 am

Just adding my two cents. Have been to the Antarctic twice. First crossing of the Drake Passage was calm going down (like a lake) but on the return, couldn't get the anti-emetic into me fast enough and had a miserable time. Next time,(to Antarctic-Falklands-South Georgia Island) I took Compazine or Phenergan suppositories and some rubber finger cots to insert. These are powerful anti-emetics and tranquilizers and you will sleep, but it sure beats the alternative of barfing your way all the way back. You will need a prescription for either one. By the way, I am an M.D.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: FB platinum, Accor gold, SJ Prio svart
In my experience (a total of over 4 months at sea, about half of which was in the Southern Ocean) most people get over seasickness after a day or two. Some people are really unlucky and will still get sick as soon as the sea isn't totally flat, there's no way of telling in advance which you are. So stocking up with appropriate drugs is a good idea.

Bigger ships are usually more stable and the closer to the middle (both bow-stern and up-down) you are the less movement there is. Ships with the accommodation over the bows are pretty much the worst for seasickness, but those don't tend to be used for cruises. A lot of people find that being able to see the horizon helps a lot. Avoid computer games, reading and watching movies.

If it's rough enough then almost everyone will get sick, even the crew. I found the best thing to do then was just stay in my bunk, being upright made the nausea worse and if it's that rough then your bunk is the safest place to be.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I met a couple in southern Chile this past January who had just come back from an air-cruise combo with Antarctica XXI. They flew to Antarctica from Punta Arenas, Chile (PUQ; easily reached by non-stops from Santiago and other places) and then boarded a boat in Antarctica. They are experienced travelers and were very enthusiastic about this trip. I know nothing else about Antarctica XXI and have no financial or other interest in them, but pass on the information for what it may be worth.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta, United
FWIW all of my friends who have been there have flown in to places like Queen Maud Land. Works well but weather dependent.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
I went 11 years ago on a medium-size cruise ship (I think about 700 including passengers and crew). Drake Passage (1 day over, 1 day back) was the only bad part. I made the mistake of waiting till I felt sick to take the Dramamine. Don't do that, take it at least 1 hour before entering the passage and repeat every 4 hours. Or whatever med is considered the best these days. I also drank a lot of ginger ale. Once you're into the peninsula area the seas will be find and that's what you care about. On the way back I took the meds in time which prevented nausea. However I haven't found anything that handles the vertigo which I also get when moving around or if the ship/boat is "Wallowing". The trip is great, don't let this issue prevent your going.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Ginger...it's good for the stomach and it helps me. You can get a bag of candied ginger, or those luscious ginger chews from the health food store called Gin-Gins.

On one cruise, the cabin stewardess brought me saltines, which seemed to help. She said it was good to always have something on your stomach when seasick. I never thew up and these seemed to help.

On yet another cruise, some Norwegian officers on the ship said I should drink Aquavit. I did shoot one down (do not sip...shoot it down) and that helped as well.

Dramamine is also great.

Then, again, if it's this rough, nothing will help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jup-5Xu1OOU

Last edited by Nanook; Apr 14, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: DL + UA mostly
Well, I flew into McMurdo on a DC17 via Christchurch NZ.
However, you're going to need to get one of these: http://www.usap.gov/jobsAndOpportunities/ if you want to do the same.

Here's some photos from the last couple campaigns: http://droppingballast.com/
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Lifetime Gold
I'm also prone to seasickness. We did an Antarctic cruise a few years back on one of the big Princess ships. Crossing wasn't bad in either direction with seas+waves running about 30-40' with 30-50 knot winds during the crossing. That's the advantage if a large ship as on a smaller one those conditions are going to be rough on small ships. The disadvantage is that there wasn't an opportunity to go ashore. Because of the weather, I'd be worried about the entire trip being a bust unless I planned to be able to sit around in Punta Arenas for a week or so waiting for the weather to clear.

I'm a big believer in the scopolamine patch. Works great for me with only a bit of sleepiness and having to forego alcohol. I'd think that the sick bay in any large ship is going to have powerful anti-nausea drugs for anybody that moves beyond feeling miserable to a real medical problem. If I got to that point (think throwing up blood), I think I'd want to be under the care of the on-board doctor.

As many have noted, don't wait until you feel bad. Plan ahead and take action the day before.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:33 pm

I used DAP last year (dap.cl) to do a full day tour but they also offer an overnight option. Several things to consider wt that:

- flight leaves from punta arenas and comes back there. Only 2 airlines make the connection from Santiago (SCL)...LAN and sky airlines.
- the flights are dependent on weather conditions...unlike a cruise which would sail in most weather conditions...the flights can be delayed sometimes days if the runway conditions are not good
- on the full day tour you will go to the Chilean church, Russian church, the penguin colony where u will be inches away from the penguins, the Chilean navy base where you can see how the navy guys live as well as get your passports stamped (don't think the cruises do the stamps but not 100% certain) and ofc a zodiac ride.
- the overnight program is the same but you spend the night on the ice in a tent and you also go to see the elephant seal colony.
- meals are included even on the flights even though it's only about 2hrs long.
- this is all on king George island which is not the mainland so if u have ur heart set on hitting the continent this is probably not the right thing for u.

Hope you have fun!! Msg me if u have any questions

P.s. If u do take a boat...always try to have something on ur stomach even if ur throwing up...nothing worse than throwing up on an empty stomach...it hurts like hell!
Old May 3, 2015, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you can find a compounding pharmacy to make it, Scopolamine is your best choice. It's the same drug in the patch, but compounded into a pill form where the dose can be tailored by your doctor and the pharmacist for maximum effect without too much of a side effect.

I've tried every over the counter remedy imaginable, dramamine, bonine, accupressure, ginger, etc - all totally useless. Took Scopolamine (back when it was sold at pharmacies before being discontinued, but it can still be compounded) and took a glacier cruise in Alaska with 18-20ft swells against an 80ft tour boat, and sat there happy as a pie eating lunch and having seconds because every other tourist and half the crew were on the ground praying for a quick and painless death.

Aside from that, I'm still looking for higher end tours where you can get very up close and personal with different penguin species and even seals. I recall reading about such a tour in one of the magazines where the author was walking around taking pictures with a parade of curious penguins trailing behind single file, then bumping into each other and toppling over every time he stopped to take a photo.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: Loyalty? Hah!
Flying over the Drake Passage

We're going to Antarctica in December with Road Scholar, and booked this particular trip because it flies over the Drake Passage. I just can't see being miserable from seasickness for even a day, let alone 2 or 3 days. If seasickness is really an issue for anyone, definitely book an air trip over the Drake.

Will let you all know how it goes. I can't wait!!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by gardenlover
We're going to Antarctica in December with Road Scholar, and booked this particular trip because it flies over the Drake Passage. I just can't see being miserable from seasickness for even a day, let alone 2 or 3 days. If seasickness is really an issue for anyone, definitely book an air trip over the Drake.

Will let you all know how it goes. I can't wait!!
Are you going on the Ocean Nova? I am doing a fly the Drake trip on Ocean Nova with Antarctica XXI in December. It seems like the main downside of flying is the risk flights will get delayed or cancelled due to weather. But with luck we will have no issues!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.