Wiki Posts
Search

Antarpply M/V Ushuaia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver
Antarpply M/V Ushuaia

I read some good reviews on tripadvisor on this operator, but wonder if any folks here have any experience with this operator/ship?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
I travelled on the Ushuaia about five years ago. Advantages: small which means everyone can land together in South Georgia and sites where numbers are limited; a captain (at that time) who was willing to land in less than ideal situations which US operators might consider too risky.
However, the ship (if you can call it that) is barely seaworthy and am surprised it's still afloat especially with more stringent regulations. It originated as a lake boat in the Great Lakes and rolls even in a calm sea...is lethal in rougher seas. Cabins and food very basic. It really depends what you're looking for and after in the way of a trip.
My review is based on over 8 trips to Antarctica!
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver
Cool, we are really just want to see and experience Antarctica, don't care about cabin/food too much. They did offer a very reasonable price among the operators I looked at, we'll prob go with them.

Since you've been to 8+ times, I'm curious what's your preferred operator?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: EX DL DM. Free Agent Flier. Virtuoso TA & Every single hotel affiliation out there.
"However, the ship (if you can call it that) is barely seaworthy and am surprised it's still afloat especially with more stringent regulations. It originated as a lake boat in the Great Lakes and rolls even in a calm sea...is lethal in rougher seas."

And you're still ok going on it just because of the price?
You're CRAZYYYY I tell you.
Crossing the Drake is NO FUN and would be even LESS fun in a boat like this.

I haven't been to Antarctica 8 times but 2... and crossing the Drake once was already enough. I flew the second time down there as I said I would never cross the Drake again in the best of boats. So you might want to reconsider.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:38 am

I was really really happy with them! Especially the food was amazing, didn't really expect it. Not to mention the quality of the "cheapest" cabins or the friendly staff. Really can only recommend them! I will actually post my first update about my journey here now, but in a separate thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.