Public confidence in the airline

Old Feb 12, 2002, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Public confidence in the airline

This morning on Seven Sunrise, they did a small "survey" whereby they asked four or five people if they would fly Ansett - most of them gave a flat no, citing that they're not confident that the airline would be flying when it actually came to the time that they would have to fly, and one even still citing safety concerns after the 767 debacle. One woman said she would if she was on holidays. Obviously Sunrise edited it to how it would suit them, but I still think that this would be the general concensus. Will this change just with a marketing campaign, even over time? Will Ansett get the 25% market share it needs to stay in the Australian market for the long term?
Old Feb 12, 2002, 3:49 am

I think confidence in AN will return gradually, that's why Fox/Lew need big pockets.

As it proves itself (I think things such as new aircraft arrive - especially the A321, new type to AU, guarenteed to attract media), passengers will be more willing to come back. PTVs will be there for the novelty value of the airline - ask Joe 'Clueless' Bloggs about airlines & SQ will come up trumps. Why, KrisWorld & Singapore Girls.

New aircraft are certainly a big marketing bonus, because they are the answer to AN's key weak point. With media misleadingly labelling AN767s as the oldest in the world, and linking that with the cracks, etc, new aircraft are elixir for AN.

Frankly, I don't blame anyone if they don't feel secure booking AN tickets now.

The more I talk about this, the more I am convinced AN needs some serious rejuvination & the more convinced I am that we will see something different on the new Airbuses. Sometimes I wonder whether keeping the name Ansett was a good idea (I dread that I said that).

Ansett needs time & Fox/Lew can't afford to get wet feet early in the game. I also wonder whether a $120 million loss in the first year is somewhat conservative.

Cheers,

Justin

BTW: Yes I do think in the long term AN will be able to get 25% market share - provided Fox/Lew do the right things first. I believe AN can roll back QF's marketshare further in the long term as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.