Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ansett Australian Global Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 18, 01, 10:01 pm   #1

Programs: QF Platinum One (+QC), UA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Gold
Fox, Lew announce Ansett plan (Star, lounges, J class, airbusses)

Fox, Lew announce interest in Ansett

Friday 19 October 2001

The Lindsay Fox-Solomon Lew consortium revealed its plans for Ansett today involving the purchase of 29 brand new airbuses.

Trucking magnate Lindsay Fox and businessman Solomon Lew said an in-principle agreement had been made to purchase the airbuses and a decision and bid was expected to be made within two weeks.

Mr Fox was reluctant to reveal details of the business plan in progress but said it included 4,000 staff, flights to every capital city and some leisure destinations, business and economy classes, Star Alliance links and lounge and loyalty programs.

"We believe our consortium offers the only real opportunity for administrators to realise the Ansett solution," Mr Fox told reporters.

Deputy Prime Minister John Anderson attended today's announcement at Mr Fox's Avalon airport, west of Melbourne along with opposition transport spokesman Martin Ferguson, Victorian premier Steve Bracks, Victorian treasurer John Brumby and ACTU assistant secretary Bill Mansfield.

Mr Fox said the syndicate had been looking at the Ansett proposal for four weeks and was in advance discussions with unions, federal and state governments and the administrators.

An in-principle agreement to purchase 29 airbuses had been reached at a cost of $2.5 billion.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Oct 18, 01, 10:50 pm   #2

This is good news with regard to the Star Alliance link and the lounge access. I liked the Anstaff bid myself, but this has it good points also. I hope that all bidders understand the importance of the Star Alliance involvement.
Old Oct 19, 01, 3:18 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: T.A.
If Ansett could have it , I'm sure they'd like the Star Alliance involvement except Air New Zealand in it!
Old Oct 19, 01, 9:51 am   #4

I'm a fan of the ANstaff bid, I just hope it gets the right backing.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the only bid which has a comprehensive business plan, whereas the "Lewfox" bid seems to be a bit of media glitterazzi.

The about face of the Lewfox bid is amazing, having moved from a lower than Virgin service to a fuller than full service - PTVs on domestic flights Channel 7 tells us http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Cheers,

Justin
Old Oct 19, 01, 10:54 am   #5

Perhaps they wish to emulate the jetBlue experience. Could work! LiveTV seems to be really popular on jetBlue, and it's sitll a low cost carrier.

I've heard the ANStaff bid bashed because it relies on a domestic premium/business pax base - and they will have all jumped ship and not return to AN, and thus the thing will fall in a heap (this is just a comment I heard - I have not actually seen the ANstaff details)

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Oct 20, 01, 5:23 am   #6

I bet the name AnsettBlue (just like JetBlue http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif ) would not make Sir Richard very happy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Clement
Old Nov 6, 01, 9:51 am   #7

Programs: Qantas,SAS,Priority Club
From The Sydney Morning Herald, 7th November:

It is understood Ansett's creditors, owed more than $2 billion, could be called together as early as tomorrow to vote on giving the administrators, Mark Mentha and Mark Korda, approval to start the formal sale process with the Lew-Fox syndicate on an exclusive basis.

The pair have promoted a bid to build an airline about 40 per cent of Ansett's former size, with room for only 4,500 of the 16,000 workers and the possibility of 2,000 extra jobs if regional services are brought in on the deal.

It would be a full-service airline, flying a new fleet of Airbus A-320s that would be recycled every two years to cut costs on maintenance.

The syndicate has also proposed a reformed link-up with the Star Alliance network of carriers and a frequent flyer program.

It also desires a partnership with Singapore Airlines, which has appointed a former Qantas executive, Peter Stainlay, to develop a business plan for Ansett's administrators.
Old Nov 6, 01, 2:30 pm   #8

Location: SYD: Fly and fly... UA UGS 1K MM, SQ PPS, SPG/PC Platinum
It worries me that all these syndicates are hyping their business plans. I just hope that the one that finally takes over AN won't be a 6 month wonder... For the sake of all the employees and devoted AN patrons.

The one I'll be confident with is the one that has SQ's backing. And they better bring back their deal with Diners Club! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

------------------
Cheers,
W
Old Nov 6, 01, 5:40 pm   #9

ANstaff has got its $500 million now, after its international tour.

There is a rumour that their model has been changed, and they apparently have commitments from 40% of former clients to fly with Ansett again.

I'll have to prod for more info.

Cheers,

Justin
Old Nov 6, 01, 7:30 pm   #10

Sorry W, but you can forget Diners Club. Have you noticed how quick QF has been to snap up Diners, Westpac and the other ex-Ansett affiliated stuff? QF have total dominance, and Diners, Westpac etc would be foolish to go back because with QF they can't lose, but it's more than likely they'd get burnt with AN again, and with all of AN's corporate clients gone, there's noone to give the banks high yield business affiliated with AN etc. I can't see how they could justify it - as sad as it is for we loyal AN folks.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Nov 7, 01, 7:55 am   #11

Location: SYD: Fly and fly... UA UGS 1K MM, SQ PPS, SPG/PC Platinum
Richard, you are probably right.

But what's interesting on Diners' new program is that you can convert 2 Diners points to 1 UA MP points, and a few other foreign airlines' program at that.

I admit that it's no where near the old 1.5 points for $1... And makes me almost willing to switch to Amex.

------------------
Cheers,
W
Old Nov 7, 01, 8:21 am   #12

Lew-Fox set for preferred bid status
Thursday 8 November 2001
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...XV0N2ZPTC.html

Excerpt:
"The Fox-Lew bid would inject about $350 million and take on hundreds of millions of dollars of Ansett's liabilities. It also includes a plan for members of Ansett's Global Rewards loyalty program to redeem a portion of their points."