Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empire Builder Dinning

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 10:03 pm

Got it. Thanks so much.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:08 pm

The eggs are pasteurized liquid eggs, so scrambled is all you can get -- you can't get over easy. Also there are no toasters, so no toast.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:53 pm

Just finished up my vacation a week ago on the Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder (CHI-LAX, LAX-SEA, SEA-CHI with stops along the way). Overall, I'd say the food was pretty similar on all of them. The only difference on the Empire Builder was the dishes and table cloths. Overall the best food and service I got was in the Pacific Parlour Car on the Coast Starlight. Very limited menu (2 items per meal) and very limited reservation list so get in early, but the items were usually different than what was on the main menu of any of the trains and it was all quite good. Best overall would be the BBQ shortrib, although one attendant called it BBQ pot roast, either way, it was awesome, as was the service and atmosphere. You meet less people that way because you get your own table, but it's also much quieter and relaxing.

Best dinners on the regular service I'd say is the Steak with mashed potatoes and the special on this go around was ale braised turkey shank. The turkey was good, but I think the steak was better.

Menus
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241305537990

Last edited by nuschu; Jun 6, 2013 at 5:00 pm
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by AlanB
Actually if one wants to get technical, it's not so much more an enhancement as it is that service on this train was never downgraded like it was on most other Amtrak trains. When Congress ordered Amtrak to cut its food service losses about 4 year ago or so, Amtrak set out to accomplish that goal by reducing service and the number of employees on most of its trains. The Empire Builder managed to escape that fate.

So the "enhanced" service means that instead of having only 1 or 2 waiters like most other trains, you'll have 3. Instead of having only 1 cook, you'll have two. Instead of having paper table cloths, you'll have cloth table cloths. Instead of having plastic plates, glasses, and mugs, you'll have glass ones. Instead of having most of the food pre-cooked and reheated in a convection oven, about half of your menu will be cooked fresh on board.

Prior to that Congressional mandate, all Amtrak trains were basically like the Empire Builder is now. So food service on the Empire Builder is an enhancement compared to other trains, but it's really just the same service that has existed for the last ten years or so on the Builder.
Can anyone tell me if this summary is still accurate?

Some years ago before the downgrade we took the CS sound from PDX with two boys in the family room and the food was first rate. I think I made the cost of the room back on just what the kids ate in steaks. With the upcoming devaluation I'm thinking of blowing out my more than 50,000 points and it's a question of which route. DEN to SFO is scenic but SEA to someplace east ain't bad and if the EB has substantially better food because that route is the only one with a real kitchen that cooks to order that might swing the decision.

The boy's will be 14 and 16 so they can really pack in in (a steak is more like an appetizer to them) and I think they'd more than appreciate the difference between reheated and individually prepared.

Bottom line. Do any other runs still have a real chef? If not is the food on the EB significantly better or is it mostly the presentation? Or have things completely changed since this post?

Thanks to all. I tried searching for updated info and couldn't find it.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
We were on the EB in May. Really nothing "enhanced" about the meal service. Dinner, they use cloth and metal utensils, Breakfast is metal utensils and paper, and lunch its all plastic and paper.

Pictures from the trip.

Breakfast
DSC01031 by Brian H, on Flickr

DSC01030 by Brian H, on Flickr

Lunch
DSC01106 by Brian H, on Flickr

DSC01312 by Brian H, on Flickr

Dinner
DSC01228 by Brian H, on Flickr

DSC01229 by Brian H, on Flickr
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by sbedelman
Can anyone tell me if this summary is still accurate?

Some years ago before the downgrade we took the CS sound from PDX with two boys in the family room and the food was first rate. I think I made the cost of the room back on just what the kids ate in steaks. With the upcoming devaluation I'm thinking of blowing out my more than 50,000 points and it's a question of which route. DEN to SFO is scenic but SEA to someplace east ain't bad and if the EB has substantially better food because that route is the only one with a real kitchen that cooks to order that might swing the decision.

The boy's will be 14 and 16 so they can really pack in in (a steak is more like an appetizer to them) and I think they'd more than appreciate the difference between reheated and individually prepared.

Bottom line. Do any other runs still have a real chef? If not is the food on the EB significantly better or is it mostly the presentation? Or have things completely changed since this post?

Thanks to all. I tried searching for updated info and couldn't find it.
Steak below. I was completely full after it. Especially after the big Amburger for lunch.
DSC01239 by Brian H, on Flickr

Steak are all still cooked on board to your liking from what I heard. Other things maybe reheated but the steak is grilled to order.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by seat38a
Steak are all still cooked on board to your liking from what I heard. Other things maybe reheated but the steak is grilled to order.
Thanks. This was exactly the information I was looking to find out.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Couldn't find current info on dining hours --

I'm on the EB from Spokane, WA, to Williston, ND, next week. Depart 1:25 a.m. arrive 6:59 p.m. I have a roomette booked.

Should I expect breakfast, lunch, and dinner, or just the first two? Are there set windows of time in which meals are served that remain fixed regardless of delays, or are meal times based on cities/stops instead? (I can see how either one would make sense)

Other than a Los Angeles-to-Seattle trip a few years back, my Amtrak experience is limited to Acela F.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Couldn't find current info on dining hours --

I'm on the EB from Spokane, WA, to Williston, ND, next week. Depart 1:25 a.m. arrive 6:59 p.m. I have a roomette booked.

Should I expect breakfast, lunch, and dinner, or just the first two? Are there set windows of time in which meals are served that remain fixed regardless of delays, or are meal times based on cities/stops instead? (I can see how either one would make sense)

Other than a Los Angeles-to-Seattle trip a few years back, my Amtrak experience is limited to Acela F.
https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...=1248539615772

Dinner starts at 5 so yes you will be getting all three meals.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
thanks!
Long time no see platbrownguy. Just a heads up on eating... go earlier rather than later, as the limited choices will run out. Found that out the hard way.

dh
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

Be sure you grab one of the earlier dinner slots. Ask your sleeper attendant to help you get one if possible. Sometimes they run out of slots and the only thing left might be too late for you to eat and still get off (presuming your train is on-time, of course).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:21 am

Thanks all -- looking forward to "collecting" my last states, Idaho and North Dakota. After spending time in Idaho, I'm taking the train from Spokane, WA, to Williston, ND, staying a night, and going to Teddy Roosevelt National Park before driving down to Bismarck and flying out from there. Seemed like a good way to burn 8000 Amtrak points and roll into ND.

dhammer53, I've got to get to a DO one of these days -- it has been far too long!
Old May 2, 2017, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Be sure you grab one of the earlier dinner slots. Ask your sleeper attendant to help you get one if possible. Sometimes they run out of slots and the only thing left might be too late for you to eat and still get off (presuming your train is on-time, of course).

This was good advice. Contrary to the link above, dinner was only available at specific set reservation times of 5:30, 6:00, and 7:15 p.m., and it was complicated by the fact that we were crossing Mountain to Central right around dinner time. (Attendants later clarified that all reservation times were Mountain.) Because I was scheduled to get off in Williston at 6:59 p.m. Central time (i.e. 5:59 p.m. Mountain), I was glad that we were running 10-15 minutes behind by dinner time -- I took the first reservation at 5:30, I was waiting promptly to be seated at 5:30 Mountain (and I was promptly seated), and I finished eating (after adjusting my watch), just after 7 p.m. Central. I then scrambled to pack up my stuff and roll into Williston.

Food onboard was quite good for train food. It was no trouble at all to get a glass of ice for my whiskey at 1:25 a.m. in Spokane (indeed, we boarded about 30 minutes before leaving, so I drank my whiskey while getting settled and slept once we departed). I skipped breakfast. For lunch, I had a bacon cheeseburger that was definitely edible. For dinner, I had a "surf and turf" option of angus steak and six decent shrimp, with mashed potatoes and vegetables. Servers were great; I left a $5 tip at each meal and $10 to my sleeper attendant and everyone seemed plenty pleased.

All in all a great ride and would do it again.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Food onboard was quite good for train food. It was no trouble at all to get a glass of ice for my whiskey at 1:25 a.m. in Spokane (indeed, we boarded about 30 minutes before leaving, so I drank my whiskey while getting settled and slept once we departed). I skipped breakfast. For lunch, I had a bacon cheeseburger that was definitely edible. For dinner, I had a "surf and turf" option of angus steak and six decent shrimp, with mashed potatoes and vegetables. Servers were great; I left a $5 tip at each meal and $10 to my sleeper attendant and everyone seemed plenty pleased.
Had the same entrée last night on the Southwest Chief -- I also thought it was the best meal I've had on Amtrak in a long while.

I do wish they would bring back plates and glassware. I always bring my own wine to the dining car, and drinking a nice Bordeaux out of plastic cups just doesn't feel right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.