Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

The latest twist to the ongoing Harrisburg Airport Rail Station debacle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2009, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak

The endless quest to build a rail station on Amtrak's Keystone Corridor to serve Harrisburg International Airport (MDT) takes a new twist. Now, the nearest Amtrak station to the airport may have to close as soon as next year. Why?

Because it's on a curve, that's why.

So now local officials are bickering over what to do with the current Middletown train station. Meanwhile, the costs of building an intermodal station at MDT continue to rise, with no particular reason to think it will happen any time in the next 10 years.

Old Feb 5, 2009, 3:00 pm

6 million to made it ADA accesable. What a waist, then again closing it compleatly just because it isn't ADA is also stupid.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 3:07 pm

I didn't think the Amfleets used on the Keystone were ADA compliant either.

Seems they had a solution, which was not ideal, but workable.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
The Elizabethtown, PA station (ELT) doesn't appear to be ADA-compliant either. Would all ADA-noncompliant stations be shut down?
Old Feb 7, 2009, 9:37 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
What's with this HIA stuff? It's MDT. At least HIA is not a real airport.

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
6 million to made it ADA accesable. What a waist, then again closing it compleatly just because it isn't ADA is also stupid.
POSs are now considered disabled in the US?

Originally Posted by DivMiler
The Elizabethtown, PA station (ELT) doesn't appear to be ADA-compliant either. Would all ADA-noncompliant stations be shut down?
I think it has something to do with a requirement to meet the ADA if you do major renovations/reconstruction (I'm not sure at all about this though).
Old Feb 8, 2009, 2:59 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ralfp
What's with this HIA stuff? It's MDT. At least HIA is not a real airport.
In Central PA, many people refer to the Harrisburg International Airport as "HIA", maybe because it sounds trendy, like "BWI" or "JFK" or "IAD" (ok, kidding about the last one). Of course, the airport's code is "MDT", as you say. I think "MDT" refers to Middletown. In conversation, I say "the Harrisburg airport".
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:59 am

In Central PA, many people refer to the Harrisburg International Airport as "HIA", maybe because it sounds trendy, like "BWI" or "JFK" or "IAD" (ok, kidding about the last one). Of course, the airport's code is "MDT", as you say. I think "MDT" refers to Middletown. In conversation, I say "the Harrisburg airport".
I'm guessing it's one of those airport codes that have logical, but not widely known origins. (MCI, HPN -> Harrison, Purchase, North Castle, though some argue it's wHite PlaiNs).

It makes me think of TPA, where the local papers have a fetish for Tirania, Albania's airport (TIA).
Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Update

Middletown is not losing its train station, contrary to many rumors floating around town.

Toby Fauver, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation deputy secretary for local transportation, said these rumors are “absolutely incorrect.”
http://www.pressandjournal.com/artic...l.aspx?id=2249
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:41 am
MDT

MDT Airport Code

MDT, our airport code, is in fact related to the fact that Harrisburg International Airport is located in Middletown, PA.

"HIA" (as we're locally referred to as) is strictly for marketing purposes, not FAA assigned.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 2:21 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk! Do you work for the airport? If so, shouldn't your handle be HIA?

Originally Posted by MDT
"HIA" (as we're locally referred to as) is strictly for marketing purposes, not FAA assigned.
When I try to find flights to HIA, I cannot find any (it doesn't exist). It seems like a TV station on channel 5 advertising itself on a billboard calling itself "Channel 2".

Of course most normal people (e.g. those not on FT) probably type "City, State", not the airport code.
Old May 1, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by ralfp
It seems like a TV station on channel 5 advertising itself on a billboard calling itself "Channel 2".
It happens more than you might think: for example, this station broadcasts over-the-air on Channel 40. (Or, at least, they do until June 12.) Channel 7 is their assignment on most of the cable systems on which they're carried.
Old May 22, 2009, 7:21 am
MDT

[QUOTE=ralfp;11672852]Welcome to FlyerTalk! Do you work for the airport? If so, shouldn't your handle be HIA?

When I try to find flights to HIA, I cannot find any (it doesn't exist)...QUOTE]

Yes, I do work for the airport. You won't find "HIA" if you enter it into a flight search tool. Either search by city, state or "MDT".

FYI: Latest press on the search for a new train station location in Middletown, http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...ion_on_mi.html.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Middletown train station site narrowed to 2 options

A decision on which of two sites will be chosen for the new Amtrak station serving the Middletown area is expected in the next two weeks, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
More here:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...n_station.html

At this point, one of the options is still an inter-modal station at/near MDT airport. I used to favor that...but I can also see the value of a station closer to downtown. Ironically, the "downtown" station is still practically right next to the airport and would still be closer to the terminal than the intermodal station at BWI, for instance. You'd think they could run a shuttle van between MDT (airport) and MDT (Amtrak). It'd just be a 5-minute drive o/w. There's plenty of Keystone departures to justify this...whether there are enough pax using MDT (airport) to justify this is another question.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:17 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That's like my hometown airport, GSO, going by PTI for marketing purposes. Annoys the heck out of me.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

New station site chosen. It's not at the airport, but:

Tim Edwards, HIA executive director, said the airport will work with PennDOT to have a shuttle connect the airport to the station.
We'll see if that actually happens. Of course, it's gonna be 3 years until it opens. Still, if the shuttle service is implemented, it adds another air-rail connection in Amtrak's system. While this site isn't as close to the airport as it could have been, it's probably going to be a comparable or shorter shuttle bus ride than BWI or MKE, for example. (And with far more train options, albeit fewer flights, than MKE,)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.