Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-NYC Acela Express - Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

BOS-NYC Acela Express - Baggage

I just booked the Acela Express for BOS-JFK.

Just wondering what can I take as Carry On? I have 2 Airline checkin size suitcase and just wondering can I take on board?

I seem to recall there are no racks for these big bags when I caught the Acela from NYC-PHL.

What are my options?

I am departing from the BAck Bay Station instead of South Station. Just wondering are there any tricks I need to know and how late can I get there?

Also what do you get on the train and is there WIFI?

Thanks
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Amtrak officially allows carry on luggage up to 28" x 22" x 14" in size and 50 LBS. If your bags are just slightly larger, you should have no problems at all. If they are much larger, then a lot depends on the crew and if you are able to handle the bags on your own. If you ask for help, then the chances go up that you'll be denied boarding with your bags.

Amtrak has a luggage rack at one end of each Acela car, and depending on just how large they are they might also fit in the airline style luggage bins above the seats. These bins are quite roomy and as a general rule, if you can lift the bag up to the bin, odds are it will fit.

I would never schedule an arrival at the station for less than 10 minutes, longer if you need to pick up tickets, and would seriously recommend at half an hour just in case something goes wrong with your transportation to the station.

Unless you're in First Class, you get nothing more than a train ride to your destination. In FC, you'd get a meal and drinks.

Finally, Amtrak is currently testing WiFi on one train set, and only in two cars of that trainset. So the odds aren't in your favor that you'll both get the one trainset and land in one of the two cars that offer's WiFi.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 1:02 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Silver, Choice Gold, Hertz#1 Gold
Originally Posted by nomoreiphone
I just booked the Acela Express for BOS-JFK.

Just wondering what can I take as Carry On? I have 2 Airline checkin size suitcase and just wondering can I take on board?

I seem to recall there are no racks for these big bags when I caught the Acela from NYC-PHL.

What are my options?

I am departing from the BAck Bay Station instead of South Station. Just wondering are there any tricks I need to know and how late can I get there?

Also what do you get on the train and is there WIFI?

Thanks

There are Luggage racks on board at the end of the cars, They fill up quick so be one of the first on. I have seen the big bags on board the Acela Express. If you are in First Class you get a hot meal and drinks at your seat.

There is no Wifi on board , a wireless card is needed on the train or teather for net service with your cell phone/blackberry. You can do other non Wifi stuff with the outlets and tray tables provided at every seat.

How late can you get there? This all depends on how comfortable you are with the two other connections you will have to make and the time of day you have to travel. Some opt for cab service as soon as they hit Penn Station if they are running late. Amtrak does not serve JFK .

If you are taking the train all the way to JFK two more train connections are needed to get you to your Terminal.

1. The Long Island Rail Road to Jamaica 20 minute running time.
Fare: $9.00 - $11.00 o/w
http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

2. Air Train from Jamaica to JFK to all Terminals, runs every 5 min peak and 10 min off peak. 15 min running time
Fare: $5.00 o/w
http://www.panynj.gov/Airtrain/around_jfk.html

Scenario:
I have a 5 pm BA flight to LHR out of JFK 30 Dec Terminal 7 and I am coming form South Station in Boston.

The latest train I would take would be the 2159 Acela Express, it leaves at 9:15 and gets into NYP 12:45. Journey Time: 3:30

Once off the train I'll follow the signs to MTA LIRR ticket counters or machines and purchase a ticket on the next thing smoking to Jamaica.
At my pace with bags I will make the 1:22 out of Penn with a stop in Woodside before Jamaica, it pulls in at 1:42. Journey Time: 00:20

Once off the train I will follow the signs to the Airtrain Platform. Before entry I will have to pay the Five dollar fee by machine (that takes major credit cards also) for my quick journey to JFK. Time now should be 1:55 and since they run every 10 min I say the next one is at 2:00 six quick stops to Terminal 7. Journey Time: 00:15

Time now 2:15. As I proceed to the speedy BA checkin process with tickets and passports in hand all should be said and done by 2:45-3:00 the latest. Now I have more than enough time hang out at the BA Lounge and shoot off an email or two with cocktails in hand before the flight .

Total Journey time From South Station BOS to BA Lounge at JFK
6 hrs 45min roughly .

In this scenario this would be the latest possible train I would take for that flight, there is an 8:20 Regional before this that gets in to NYP 30 min earlier and I would be all over it for comfort sake. When it comes to trains you can never be too early. All in all Acela's otp is pretty good just keep a gist of the weather also, it effects trains too.

I hope this helps and have a fantastic journey by Rail to the Plane.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, there is checked luggage service between Boston on New York on Amtrak--your bags would not, though, travel with you, so you'd have to check them in advance or come back to the train station later to pick them up.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks.

It seems I am fine. I have one Samsonite and 1 Tumi (32" and 28") suitcase. They won't fit in the overhead locker (also quite heavy) but if there are racks at the end of the carriages, then it should be fine.

In terms of the Boston Back Bay Station, are there are tricks I need to be aware of (ticket barriers, multiple platforms). How do they check ur ticket? I assume this is the station opposite the Neiman Marcus/Copley Plaza)?

Also can I collect the tickets 1 day before at the station, to avoid last minute rush.

In terms of seating, is it assigned or free seating on the Acela in J Class? If the latter, what are the best seats/carriages?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 4:21 pm
In Memoriam

It seems I am fine. I have one Samsonite and 1 Tumi (32" and 28") suitcase. They won't fit in the overhead locker (also quite heavy) but if there are racks at the end of the carriages, then it should be fine.
Only at one end, so if you don't see it when you enter, head to the other end of the car or turn around and walk into the next car.

In terms of the Boston Back Bay Station, are there are tricks I need to be aware of (ticket barriers, multiple platforms). How do they check ur ticket? I assume this is the station opposite the Neiman Marcus/Copley Plaza)?
No real tricks for Back Bay. It's not that big of a station and except for the Lake Shore limited, all Amtrak trains will board from track 3 unless there are problems. They won't check your ticket until you get on the train, so make sure that you're boarding the correct train. And yes, it is by Copley Plaza.

Also can I collect the tickets 1 day before at the station, to avoid last minute rush.
Absolutely! You can pick them up anytime you want.

In terms of seating, is it assigned or free seating on the Acela in J Class? If the latter, what are the best seats/carriages?
There is no assigned seating on Acela or any Regional train for that matter.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlanB

There is no assigned seating on Acela or any Regional train for that matter.
Thanks, so pretty mcuh it is free for all.
Actually how busy does the 5pm (the last Acela train on the day) during a weekday? Where can I check the Loads on it? because my concern is that the train will be at the 2nd stop (I assume the first stop is South Station) and there might not be any seats for 2 of us left together? Actually do they oversell and let people stand all the way to NYC?

So is it best to go for Car 1 or as front as possible so that when we alight at Penn Station we can get to the Taxi Rank?

For the Cafe car, is that accessible in J Class or is it reserved for F Class only? What meals do they serve or should I grab something from Copley before heading to the station?

Thanks so much for your help
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by Want2fly
Amtrak does not serve JFK .

The Long Island Rail Road to Jamaica 20 minute running time.

Fare: $9.00 - $11.00 o/w
Amtrak does provide service to JFK: the leg from NYP to JFK is provided by Amtrak Thruway bus service operated by NY Airport Service. You can purchase transportation from Boston to JFK (or LGA) directly from Amtrak.

For those who prefer to travel to JFK by rail, the current Long Island Rail Road one-way adult fare from NYP to Jamaica Station, for tickets purchased before boarding, is $3.25, $5.25, or $7.25, depending on day and time of travel; tickets purchased on board cost $10.00 or $12.00. LIRR tickets can also be purchased online at a 5% discount at www.mta.info; allow about a week for the tickets to be delivered by mail to U.S. addresses.

Last edited by guv1976; Dec 23, 2008 at 8:16 pm
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Silver, Choice Gold, Hertz#1 Gold
You are 100% correct, I missed that one. I was thinking Amtrak pulling into all terminals next to the Airtrain which is a no can do. That is easier with bags, you can also get a Red Cap to help out.

As for the LIRR tickets, as it stands right now from the MTA link off peak fares are as follows. $10.00 onboard, $5.25 Vending Machine, $4.99 web.
The $3.25 fare is for weekends and holidays only.
Source: http://lirr42.mta.info/index.asp

I stand corrected on this also, good catch Guv1976
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

One other suggestion for those who end up using JFK AirTrain: although the one-way fare is $5.00, there are a couple of ways to bring that down a little. A JFK AirTrain 10-trip Metrocard is available for $25, but the ten trips expire within six months of first use. The card can, however, be shared with others and "passed back": one trip will be deducted from the card with each swipe. For less-frequent AirTrain users who pay the $5.00 AirTrain fare with a regular pay-per-ride Metrocard, be aware that a 15% bonus is awarded whenever a pay-per-ride card is purchased or refilled for $7.00 or more. So, buying a Metrocard for $8.70 will yield a Metrocard with $10.01 in value, enough for two AirTrain rides. $13.05 will buy three rides, etc. These Metrocards can also be "passed back" to others traveling with you.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!

For the Cafe car, is that accessible in J Class or is it reserved for F Class only? What meals do they serve or should I grab something from Copley before heading to the station?

Thanks so much for your help
Actually you have it reversed. The cafe car is pretty much for everyone except those in F who get their meals served seat side. The cafe has sandwiches, salads and pizzas. The food isn't too bad, but if you want something more substantial you'll have to get it before boarding.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:09 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Actually you have it reversed. The cafe car is pretty much for everyone except those in F who get their meals served seat side. The cafe has sandwiches, salads and pizzas. The food isn't too bad, but if you want something more substantial you'll have to get it before boarding.

Although you won't find anything substantial in Back Bay, at least the station.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:20 pm
In Memoriam

Thanks, so pretty mcuh it is free for all.
Actually how busy does the 5pm (the last Acela train on the day) during a weekday? Where can I check the Loads on it? because my concern is that the train will be at the 2nd stop (I assume the first stop is South Station) and there might not be any seats for 2 of us left together? Actually do they oversell and let people stand all the way to NYC?
Yes, it's a free for all. Friday's are probably the busiest day for that train, but that's not to suggest that the other days run empty. However, you should be fine at getting two seats together. If you were getting on at Route 128, that might start to get problematic.

First stop is indeed South Station, but the train won't fill up there. Back Bay and 128 both add considerable numbers of passengers. Amtrak does not normally overbook Acela. Unless there has been some problem, weather cancellations or a train issue, they sell only what the train can carry in seats.

And I know of no place that you can check load factors.

So is it best to go for Car 1 or as front as possible so that when we alight at Penn Station we can get to the Taxi Rank?
I would not suggest lining up for car 1 for two reasons. One, depending on the train's orientation, the first car could be the First Class car. So now you'd find yourself running down the platform to the next car, giving others dibs on the seats. Personally, I'd position myself at least 1/2 to 3/4ths of the way down the platform towards the rear of the train.

That way if the FC car is on the rear, you'll still have two BC cars to choose from. If first is on the front, then you'll still have two BC cars to pick from, since the cafe car is sort of in the middle of the train.

Two, being in the first or last cars at NYP puts you the farthest from the escalators, and the eventual exits to the taxi stands. Being in the first car is only helpful when arriving into DC or Boston's South Station.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:56 am

Getting seats together at Back Bay shouldn't be too much of a problem. Trains seem to really get filled once past Rt. 128 station.

If you are concerned about luggage and getting seats, I would change the itinerary to start at S. Station and get a Red Cap. You'll board first and be assured room for your bags since passengers w/Red Caps get on at the same time as FC passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.