Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

If i have a ticket fron NYP to WAS, can i board at NWK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT

Amtrak offers continental Elite qualification points for travel between NYP and WAS. The fare from NYP to WAS is the same as NWK to WAS. My question is, can i book NYP to WAS, but board/get off at NWK and still get the EQP? Anyone done this? Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Getting onto the train, I am not sure about...

However, getting off of the train I can tell you with certainty they will allow, assuming you do not have checked luggage (which you won't in the NEC).

Just inform the conductor a station ahead of time that you would like to disembark at EWR, and he/she should be okay with with it. I do it all the time with Alexandria vs. Washington if the train is very late, mainly because the Alexandria Amtrak station, and my apt in DC are on the Blue Line.

But I digress, getting onto the train early may present problems if it is sold out, as there will be no seat for you, maybe others can offer advice on early boarding...
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
In my NYP-WAS experience, conductors do not even begin to collect tickets until after departing NWK, in effect lumping NWK and NYP departing passengers together.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by USFFlyer
But I digress, getting onto the train early may present problems if it is sold out, as there will be no seat for you, maybe others can offer advice on early boarding...
The OP will not be trying to get onto his train "early"; he will be trying to get onto it "late." He is talking about buying a ticket from NYP to WAS, but not boarding that train until it hits NWK. I would be very surprised if any conductor gave him a problem with using a ticket whose origin is behind his boarding station. As long as he is boarding the specific train identified on this ticket (as opposed to an earlier or later train), I think he will be OK.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:34 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
IME, the first class cabin seemed to have tix collected earlier, this may be be different in business.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Most conductors will not care if you board at a later station than the ticket you bought. (Example - bought NYP-WAS but boarded in NWK.) They would question if you boarded at a station prior to your ticket. (Example - bought NYP-WAS but boarded in NHV.)

If they do question why you boarded in NWK with a NYP-WAS ticket, most likely they will say that you paid to much - since you paid for a portion of the trip that you did not take. If so, all you have to say is something like you couldn't make it to NYP by the departure time, so you boarded in NWK! But I very much doubt you will be questioned!
Old Aug 27, 2008, 4:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
I agree, the OP will have no trouble boarding in Newark with a ticket good from NY to DC.

On very rare occasions a conductor may start collecting tickets before reaching NWK, but that doesn't happen most of the time. And even if it did, they are very unlikely to say anything at all. And if they do decide to say something, then it would be in the vein suggested by the_Traveler, that you paid too much for your ticket.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Thanks guys. Whats interesting is, the fare is EXACTLY the same whether you get off at NYP or NWK. And i noticed today, even though i had a ticket to NYP, he collected the little thing to keep track of where i sit prior to NWK.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If you do this and you plan to pick up your tickets from a Quik-Trak machine, be careful! I've had reservations canceled when I didn't pick up tickets before the time the train departed the station I was ticketed from. In that case I'd booked NYP-WAS but was boarding at MET. When I got to MET I found that my reservation was canceled and that the train I was supposed to be on was now sold out. Had I picked up my tickets at MET (or from any Amtrak agent/machine) before the train departed NYP that would not have been a problem.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Aug 28, 2008 at 4:00 am
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:44 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by choster
In my NYP-WAS experience, conductors do not even begin to collect tickets until after departing NWK, in effect lumping NWK and NYP departing passengers together.
My experience, too. Especially on Acela.

Originally Posted by njxbean
Thanks guys. Whats interesting is, the fare is EXACTLY the same whether you get off at NYP or NWK. And i noticed today, even though i had a ticket to NYP, he collected the little thing to keep track of where i sit prior to NWK.
I do think the fare basis is the same. If there's ever any question, just say you were in the lav when the conductor came through.....

Originally Posted by xyzzy
If you do this and you plan to pick up your tickets from a Quik-Trak machine, be careful! I've had reservations canceled when I didn't pick up tickets before the time the train departed the station I was ticketed from. In that case I'd booked NYP-WAS but was boarding at MET. When I got to MET I found that my reservation was canceled and that the train I was supposed to be on was now sold out. Had I picked up my tickets at MET (or from any Amtrak agent/machine) before the train departed NYP that would not have been a problem.
That's an excellent point, and noted. I usually do day trips, so I pick up both outbound and inbound at the same time.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:52 am

A while back I boarded in NWK, but was ticked from NYP. The conductor explained that he had no issue with me boarding later than my ticked station, but that I was owed a refund for the difference between NYP and NWK.

It is apparantly $15.00 or so plus the accomadation charge and he issued me a refund slip that I was to send into AMTRAK for a refund. Shockingly AMTRAK did refund me the difference for my own studpidy.

Dan
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life, Hilton Diamond,IC Ambassador
I have done this several times on the WAS-NYP and NYP-WAS Route.

When working in Manhattan, I generally stay with family in New Jersey. Owing to the fact that if my brother is available, he will pick me up at Newark since he works close by, I alway buy a round trip WAS-NYP-WAS combination. I get off at Newark if my brother can pick me up (sometimes he is at a customer and can't) else I go to NYP since I can get a direct train to my destination from there rather than a change at SEC.

The return trip is the same deal. If my brother is heading to his office in Newark, I go with him and no one has ever even noticed the NYP or questioned it.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:06 pm

Exact same question

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I am in the same exact situation (except the CO Elite qualification part ), and actually want to stimulate arguments as to which option could work better (NYP/NWK, and can apply to BOS/BBY or WAS/NCR or even PHL/WIL, depending on direction).

I have train 141, 9:35 NYP departure (connecting to 29). I originally wanted to board at NYP, but found that Hilton NWK Penn Station has the best rate for the time. So I have an option of boarding at NWK or NYP.

It seems like no brainer that NWK should be the way to go. But here are some arguments for each station.

NWK:
  • Can board literally right out of the hotel a little later than 9:35.
  • Can walk directly to and wait at platform without fighting the crowd/escalator/staff.

NYP:
  • Club Acela (can load up on sugary SaraLee stuff ).
  • Have first choice of seats.
  • Will only take 30 mins "door to door" to NYP in NJ Transit. Not only there are trains every 5 mins between NWK and NYP at that time, but many other NYC hotels will probably take as long or longer considering walking distance and transit (and in most cases have to deal with subway at rush hours, NJT will be more tolerable).
  • Off-chance that ticket not scanned at NWK and the next segment gets whacked (although not likely).

Decisions, decisions... You can chime in and add anything missing or your own suggestions/comments.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
If you're staying across the from the station in Newark, I really don't think it's worth going into NYP just to come back out. The ClubAcela is small anyway and I wouldn't miss out on a soda I can get almost anywhere anyway. I would just get on in NWK.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:05 pm

Yes, logically I should get on at NWK. But I listed the reasons for getting on at NYP, and for some people they value them more over time and convenience. I guess this situation is more applicable for Acela F, if you know that it will be crowded and want the single seat.

Anyways, I'm curious if there are those who backtrack on purpose for any reason (for better seat, for abundance of caution, for really liking Club Acela, or whatever).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.