No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Subscribe
There have been posts in regard to this policy before, but as folks who use our Amtrak accounts only for double-dipping stays at Hilton and on a few other "bonus" occasions we had no idea--despite trying to read the fine print. So, maybe one or the other occasional-only forum visitor may learn about this policy through this post.

My wife just lost 2,200 miles b/c of no-travel on Amtrak in 3 years--no warning, nothing on the statements, pooff. I had 10,800 miles and immediately converted them to another program--actually, only 10,000, and the other 800 will be lost.

Farewell Amtrak, and Auf Wiedersehen to our Amtrak co-branded Mastercard.
I signed up for Amtrak Guest Rewards because I ride Amtrak. You'll get no sympathy from me.
It's been reported that AGR does send out notices in advance, but I guess there are no guarantees.
AGR has also been reported to offer a reactivation offer if you book and take Amtrak travel within a short period after the expiration occurs.
They sent notification emails and hard mails(in statements). Not to mention most airlines do this now, too. So why would you think Amtrak would be different?
If all you want AGR for is for "point laundering", I do not have any sympathy for you. But most of us mainly use it for train travel ! And even a $5 one-way trip extends the points for another 3 years!

I hope you do not have UA Mileage Plus! It is not 36 months like AGR - it is only 18 months!
Quote: I hope you do not have UA Mileage Plus! It is not 36 months like AGR - it is only 18 months!
True, BUT--UA counts any activity, whether credit card spending, dining through Rewards Network, or even buying a magazine subscription as valid activity.

Normally, I would agree with you, but Amtrak's policy even has ME nervous, as I live over 1,000 miles (and over $300 in airfare) from the closest Amtrak station. While I don't think I'd ever go three years without setting foot on an Amtrak train, it's not like I can say, "Oops! My points expire tomorrow! Let me run down and take a $5 trip..."
Quote: True, BUT--UA counts any activity, whether credit card spending, dining through Rewards Network, or even buying a magazine subscription as valid activity.

Normally, I would agree with you, but Amtrak's policy even has ME nervous, as I live over 1,000 miles (and over $300 in airfare) from the closest Amtrak station. While I don't think I'd ever go three years without setting foot on an Amtrak train, it's not like I can say, "Oops! My points expire tomorrow! Let me run down and take a $5 trip..."
Good point. The OP apparently lives in the TX panhandle, so actually stepping foot on an Amtrak train would similarly require some advance planning. Not impossible, but not especially convenient either. Still, I can't fault Amtak Guest Rewards for this policy. 3 years is really a generous time period.
Quote: There have been posts in regard to this policy before, but as folks who use our Amtrak accounts only for double-dipping stays at Hilton and on a few other "bonus" occasions we had no idea--despite trying to read the fine print. So, maybe one or the other occasional-only forum visitor may learn about this policy through this post.
It's quite clear in the T&C's and it's also in the FAQ's:
Quote:
When do my points expire?

Amtrak Guest Rewards points expire 3 years after your last Amtrak travel purchase.
Question - does redeeming an Amtrak travel award count, or does it have to be a paid ticket?
Quote: Question - does redeeming an Amtrak travel award count, or does it have to be a paid ticket?
It must be a paid ride. Redeeming an award might help to empty your account of points, before they get taken away, but it won't reset the 3 year counter.
Quote: It must be a paid ride. Redeeming an award might help to empty your account of points, before they get taken away, but it won't reset the 3 year counter.
I know this is the conventional wisdom and certainly the safe answer, but do we know this for sure? When traveled, reward travel posts to AGR accounts, albeit with 0 points, as travel.
You can probably get credit for a trip without actually riding by purchasing a ticket and mailing it in to Amtrak Revenue Accounting. That's just a theory.

Maybe attach a note to the effect that "conductor did not collect ticket".
Quote: You can probably get credit for a trip without actually riding by purchasing a ticket and mailing it in to Amtrak Revenue Accounting. That's just a theory.
I've wondered about that - if the Point Credit Request works in that scenario.
Quote: I know this is the conventional wisdom and certainly the safe answer, but do we know this for sure? When traveled, reward travel posts to AGR accounts, albeit with 0 points, as travel.
I think the Q & A answers this without doubt:
Quote:
When do my points expire?

Amtrak Guest Rewards points expire 3 years after your last Amtrak travel purchase.
Since reward tickets are clearly marked with a $0.00 price, they were not purchased!
Quote: You can probably get credit for a trip without actually riding by purchasing a ticket and mailing it in to Amtrak Revenue Accounting. That's just a theory.

Maybe attach a note to the effect that "conductor did not collect ticket".
My guess is that they wouldn't believe you, since any normal person who was still holding their entire ticket would go get a refund or a voucher for it. They'd want their money back, not points for a ticket.

But who knows for sure?