Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Wallaby, any new account has 3 years from its opening. However, the transfer fees are excessive: $10 to transfer 1K points which aren't worth much more than that!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Brendan
Wallaby, any new account has 3 years from its opening. However, the transfer fees are excessive: $10 to transfer 1K points which aren't worth much more than that!
Well I was hoping the 3 years would work.
As for value, transferring 30K points would cost $300.
For that they can get a 2-zone bedroom ticket eg SEA-CHI worth about $1800
(based on a September 2010 reservation).
Not bad value really.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moderator, can this thread's title be altered given that what the current title states as a fact ("No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles") is not quite true any more:

Originally Posted by AGR Insider
Hi jackal -
We've updated the program terms and conditions on www.AmtrakGuestRewards.com to include the following under section D on Point expiration: "Points earned under the Program will not expire if the member is an active cardholder of the Amtrak Guest Rewards World MasterCard issued by Chase Bank."
Thanks
Vicky Radke
Program Manager, Loyalty Marketing
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Moderator, can this thread's title be altered given that what the current title states as a fact ("No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles") is not quite true any more:
Or, just put a question mark on the title. @:-)

Unless you want to change the title to "No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles, except if you have the AGR Master card, and it's confirmed that award travel does not count, even though the T/C's say otherwise"
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by nerd

Unless you want to change the title to "No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles, except if you have the AGR Master card, and it's confirmed that award travel does not count, even though the T/C's say otherwise"

I'm not a huge fan of stickies, but in this case maybe a simple one-post sticky titled "How to keep your AGR points from expiring" may be in order. That way a moderator or other volunteer could update it as needed and people could just check that without wading through a 6+ page thread. And then everytime someone starts the inevitable "Will my points REALLY expire if I don't ride an Amtrak train?" thread, we just point 'em to the sticky, lock the new thread up, and move on in life. ^
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
And then everytime someone starts the inevitable "Will my points REALLY expire if I don't ride an Amtrak train?" thread, we just point 'em to the sticky, lock the new thread up, and move on in life. ^
But look at the con in that trade-off -- you've got a sticky wasting space in the forum for a question that comes up maybe every 3 months. And it's question that's super easy to answer, and even if you have the sticky, you still have to answer the question and refer someone to it. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:50 pm

I think amtrak should make an exception if you live in a city that does not have a train route going through it because it is hard to get travel in
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m90291
I think amtrak should make an exception if you live in a city that does not have a train route going through it because it is hard to get travel in
If you live somewhere that Amtrak doesn't serve, and you travel less than once every 3 years, why would Amtrak points matter to you, and, on the other side, why would you matter to Amtrak?

No trying to be harsh, but, after all, it's a frequent-traveler/loyalty program...
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
what would happen in this scenario:

i have 2500 points in my account, but have not travelled in 33 months, i then purchase points (13,000) from amtrak and do not use the points until 37 months after my last travel...i would i lose ALL my points? even thought i just bought some from amtrak??
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by musikdude
what would happen in this scenario:

i have 2500 points in my account, but have not travelled in 33 months, i then purchase points (13,000) from amtrak and do not use the points until 37 months after my last travel...i would i lose ALL my points? even thought i just bought some from amtrak??
That is a correct assumption (unless their computer system is not prompt about processing point expirations).

You could probably get away with something like redeeming your points for an award at 35.5 months after your last travel and then holding that award until you decide what you actually want to do, at which point you can redeposit the points from that award and book a new one, but I haven't seen anyone post any experience doing that.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Good point! AGR is not prompt on the 3rd Anniversary. I just got a notice after 3.5 years of no train riding that I have a few months left to save my points by riding a train. Of course, it's no big deal to lose my measly 300 points !
Old Sep 1, 2010, 1:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
From the AGR website, under "Terms and Conditions":

D. Point Expiration
2.If no Amtrak travel is purchased, recorded or reported within a 3-year period, .
Hmm, this seems to mean that actual travel is not required, merely purchase.
Is that correct?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wallaby
Hmm, this seems to mean that actual travel is not required, merely purchase.
Is that correct?
No, that's not correct. There's the 2nd condition:

If no Amtrak travel is purchased, recorded or reported within a 3-year period, or if you do not make and honor an Amtrak travel reservation within this timeframe, your points will expire.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Originally Posted by nerd
No, that's not correct. There's the 2nd condition:
That is not really a condition since it used the word "or". It reads as an option to me.

I think AGR hired some cheap lawyers they saw on a late night uhf tv advertisement to write their t&C. The words don't work right, but the idea is buy a ticket and use it every three years or your points expire.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
Is this a good idea?

The past two years my wife and I have traveled using award tickets. We will take another award trip in June and then a paid trip in September, but before then it will be three years since she has had a paid trip and I assume she would lose her points. What I would like to do is pay for a ticket for her from MKE to MKA, then use an award ticket for MKA to EFG. If we do this, should we give the conductor both tickets when we get on or wait until after the stop at MKA? I assume that the rule of not being able to separate trips on one train the same day (and getting points for each ticket) would not apply in her getting the points posted on the paid ticket. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.