Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Roger that, RogerD408! AGR points expire a few months after the 3rd anniv. of no train riding. Also, Amtrak usually sends a warning email.
Amtrak points are also convertible via points.com--and the exchange rates are mediocre to decent, in contrast to some of their egregious ripoff rates! But IIRC a minimum of 1000 points must be transferred out.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by Brendan
Roger that, RogerD408! AGR points expire a few months after the 3rd anniv. of no train riding. Also, Amtrak usually sends a warning email.
Amtrak points are also convertible via points.com--and the exchange rates are mediocre to decent, in contrast to some of their egregious ripoff rates! But IIRC a minimum of 1000 points must be transferred out.
Thanks! What is the best way to get 100-200 AGR points to reach 1,000? Not that I care that much, but if there is a way with little hassle to keep those AGR points alive via points.com, I would love to know that.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, guys, for the help with this. The Newark, DE to Wilmington train ride was pretty simple -- except for the 35-minute delay and the "anxiety" of getting a ticket scanned on a 10-minute ride! How long does it take to get Amtrak trips posted to an AGR account, so we can make sure everything is in order?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by iahphx
How long does it take to get Amtrak trips posted to an AGR account, so we can make sure everything is in order?
Generally takes less than 5 days.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks, guys, for the help with this. The Newark, DE to Wilmington train ride was pretty simple -- except for the 35-minute delay and the "anxiety" of getting a ticket scanned on a 10-minute ride! How long does it take to get Amtrak trips posted to an AGR account, so we can make sure everything is in order?
Usually I see postings within a few (3) days after the end of the train trip (not your trip). I don't know if scanning has changed the processing cycle, but it used to be the train had to reach the end if its journey before everything was put through. So in my case taking the CZ from SAC to RNO, points didn't post until a few days after the train reached CHI.

Keep your ticket number handy and any other "evidence" (like parking receipts, cafe car receipts, etc.) until it posts.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Cloudybw, you can earn AGR points (which won't extend the life of existing ones) by renting from certain car-rental co.s esp. Hertz, or at a hotel, such as a points & miles stay at a Hilton-family hotel. Or check out the AGR Website for more ideas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.