Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Problems Redeeming Points for Amtrak Travel?

Old Apr 19, 2008, 1:28 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver

I've purchased a ticket for travel from Harrisburg to Hartford (as mentioned in another thread), but for kicks I tried to see how it would be to redeem points for travel for the same itinerary. I had no intention of redeeming.

I logged into my AGR account, clicked to redeem points for AGR travel, and put in my travel date (May 2), going from Harrisburg to Hartford, and what I got was
We were unable to process your request: Please correct the error(s) shown below and resubmit.

We are unable to process your redemption request online. Please call 1-800-307-5000 (Monday - Friday, 8 am - 8 pm ET) for assistance.
[Error ID: 1101R]
There were no errors mentioned on the screen.

When I tried Harrisburg to New York for May 2, I was given a set of choices (and presumably would have been able to complete the redemption). I got this error for Hartford (and the set of choices for New York) today (Saturday) and yesterday (Friday).

What gives with Harrisburg to Hartford? Again, I had no intention of redeeming, but I (or someone else) may face the same problem when they really want to redeem and don't have time to deal with a problem.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Online redemptions are a new addition and their functionality is limited to non-sleeper, direct travel. If you need a sleeper or need to connect somewhere (as in your case of Harrisburg-Hartford, but not for Harrisburg-New York), you can't redeem online. You would have to call AGR Monday-Friday to redeem. It would cost 3,000 points in coach and 6,500 in business. There are no capacity restrictions (if a seat is still for sale for $, you can use it in your award), but there are a few blackout dates.

From the AGR website:
https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/i...zone_chart.cfm
"Two reservations are required for round-trip travel. Sleeping accommodations and travel requiring connecting trains are not currently redeemable online. Blackouts apply to reward travel."
Old Apr 19, 2008, 2:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by soitgoes
From the AGR website:
https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/i...zone_chart.cfm
"Two reservations are required for round-trip travel. Sleeping accommodations and travel requiring connecting trains are not currently redeemable online. Blackouts apply to reward travel."
You know, I've read those three sentences several times before, and for some reason everything registered in my mind except for the "and travel requiring connecting trains" part.

Thanks, soitgoes!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No problem. It would be nice if the error message said something more explicit, but I think most of us are just happy there is some way to redeem on the weekends for immediate travel...
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by soitgoes
It would be nice if the error message said something more explicit, but I think most of us are just happy there is some way to redeem on the weekends for immediate travel...
Yes, it is nice - when it is the same train.

An example is WAS-HFD: you could redeem for example on the Vermonter (the same train), but if you connect from a Regional to a shuttle train in NHV you couldn't (because they are 2 trains)!
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the_traveler
Yes, it is nice - when it is the same train.
Indeed: it would be even nicer if you could redeem for connecting travel online (even if it were just for single connection trains).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.