Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NY Penn Station baggage storage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I suggest you call back, and speak to another agent. Someone in another thread reported a similar problem with a 20%-off code for travel between Rhode Island and NYP. After speaking with a second agent, she was able to get the discount for travel originating in RI.
Unfortunately, Amtrak agents aren't known for providing accurate information. In fact, if you call four different Amtrak agents, you're likely to get four different answers.

I'm not sure how that'd be possible on a two-choice, yes/no question, but I'm sure Amtrak would find a way!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I suggest you call back, and speak to another agent. Someone in another thread reported a similar problem with a 20%-off code for travel between Rhode Island and NYP. After speaking with a second agent, she was able to get the discount for travel originating in RI.
Originally Posted by jackal
Unfortunately, Amtrak agents aren't known for providing accurate information. In fact, if you call four different Amtrak agents, you're likely to get four different answers.

I'm not sure how that'd be possible on a two-choice, yes/no question, but I'm sure Amtrak would find a way!
I know the FT mantra... call again

Unfortunately it won't work this time, (unless the agent bent the rules)

I did some googling and found the source of this code and read the rules which clearly stated it was for travel to Newark, not from. It was a promo code to bring people to events happening in the city...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
I know the FT mantra... call again

Unfortunately it won't work this time, (unless the agent bent the rules)

I did some googling and found the source of this code and read the rules which clearly stated it was for travel to Newark, not from. It was a promo code to bring people to events happening in the city...
I would still try calling again. I don't think that the idea of the code was for people to get the discount en route to NWK, but then have to pay full fare to get back home. (It's possible, though, that Amtrak will honor the discount out of NWK only in conjunction with roundtrip travel.)

If you still have no luck getting the discount, here's another idea: Do you or your traveling companion have any miles in Continental's OnePass program? You can convert OnePass miles to Amtrak Guest Rewards points on a 1:1 basis (with a 5,000 mile minimum, and perhaps only in blocks of 5,000 miles), and 6,000 AGR points will get you two one-way tickets from NYP or NWK to WAS.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 4P, AA Tin, CO Tin, AGR Select Plus
Do most stations have such a service?

Originally Posted by AlanB
No lockers, as they are considered too vulnerable to usage by terrorists.

The only option is to day check your bag at the Amtrak baggage counter. Be prepared to show ID and your ticket. I think, but I'm not positive, that even an NJT ticket will work. Obviously an Amtrak ticket or ticket stub qualifies.

Last I knew though, it was rather expensive, like 5 bucks per bag for this service and that was about 4 or 5 years ago. It may have gone up since then.
Do most (I guess, larger) stations (in my case, SAC) have such a service? On May 24, I'll be in a situation similar to the OP's: arriving at SAC at 12:55 and leaving again at 19:10. Having come via Ambus+San Joaquin earlier in the day, I'll have with me three days' clothes, etc. in a small bag. During those 6 hours, I'll be visiting the State Rail museum, riding their little train, and exploring the Sacramento light rail, and would rather not drag around the said bag. Does SAC have such a (even paid) left-luggage service?

PS it's 5811 (Ambus) LAX->BFD, 711 (San Joaquin) BFD->MTZ, 728 (Capitols) MTZ->SAC. Since the Capitols don't have checked luggage, I can't just check this bag through to SAC and then just not pick it up for 6 hours.

Thanks,
Chris
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I would still try calling again. I don't think that the idea of the code was for people to get the discount en route to NWK, but then have to pay full fare to get back home. (It's possible, though, that Amtrak will honor the discount out of NWK only in conjunction with roundtrip travel.)

If you still have no luck getting the discount, here's another idea: Do you or your traveling companion have any miles in Continental's OnePass program? You can convert OnePass miles to Amtrak Guest Rewards points on a 1:1 basis (with a 5,000 mile minimum, and perhaps only in blocks of 5,000 miles), and 6,000 AGR points will get you two one-way tickets from NYP or NWK to WAS.
Is there an ideal time for calling Amtrak?

And although I flew over 8K on CO this year, I only have Mileage Plan with AS, so no CO OP miles... interesting idea though...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:56 pm

Programs: Peon in all
From post #1 of the promo & discount thread:
V863 - 50% off companion to/from Newark
One companion rides for half price to/from Newark, NJ
Unless it was posted wrong, it does state either to or from Newark!

It does not make any sense that if you want to get people to visit your city, you give them a discount. But if they want to leave, you make them pay full fare! If that was the option given to me, I would not chose to visit that city at all! I'll chose to spend my money somewhere else!

I'd say call again!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by the_traveler
From post #1 of the promo & discount thread:

Unless it was posted wrong, it does state either to or from Newark!

It does not make any sense that if you want to get people to visit your city, you give them a discount. But if they want to leave, you make them pay full fare! If that was the option given to me, I would not chose to visit that city at all! I'll chose to spend my money somewhere else!

I'd say call again!
This is the page I found on google that states its valid to Newark...:
http://www.arrive-digital.com/arrive/20080102/?pg=80

Unless the magazine is not true, I can't use it the way I want... doesn't make that much sense... but does the Transportation Industry ever?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the page I found on google that states its valid to Newark...:
http://www.arrive-digital.com/arrive/20080102/?pg=80

Unless the magazine is not true, I can't use it the way I want... doesn't make that much sense... but does the Transportation Industry ever?
Well, the magazine is Amtrak's version of an in-flight magazine, so that's pretty much straight from the horse's mouth. However, the_traveler has a valid point in that a code should be valid for both going to the city and returning from the city.

Maybe use of the code requires a round-trip to NWK and from NWK, and then it is valid for both legs...?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:55 pm

Update!!!

I decided to try again, and got a nice fellow who helped me out! First I verified the rules of the code V863, and they do allow travel to/from Newark! So then I booked the tickets with the agent!

So I ended up with 2 tickets for $103.50 vs. $139.00

Thanks guys!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update!!!

I decided to try again, and got a nice fellow who helped me out! First I verified the rules of the code V863, and they do allow travel to/from Newark! So then I booked the tickets with the agent!

So I ended up with 2 tickets for $103.50 vs. $139.00

Thanks guys!
Very cool!

Now, just to make sure the works aren't gunked up...try to pick your tickets up from the QuikTrak machine first instead of going straight to an agent. This is just in case the agent decides to be rude and try to remove the discount. Looks like there should be no problem, because you are booking within the rules of the discount, but it's still a good precaution.

Enjoy Amtrak and hopefully we can get you hooked on train travel!
Old May 24, 2010, 2:41 pm

sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anyone know what the current left luggage situation at NYP is?
Old May 24, 2010, 3:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
I'm not sure of the cost, I think that it's still $5 per bag, but otherwise as long as you have a same day ticket you can day check your bags at the baggage check/claim area.

Of course if you are riding in First Class or can otherwise gain access to the Club Acela, then you can leave your bags in the storage area in the lounge for free.
Old May 24, 2010, 3:24 pm

I have a PC membership, how safe is the Club Acela? Also, if I don't get back in time would I be able to get my bag the next morning?

Originally Posted by AlanB
I'm not sure of the cost, I think that it's still $5 per bag, but otherwise as long as you have a same day ticket you can day check your bags at the baggage check/claim area.

Of course if you are riding in First Class or can otherwise gain access to the Club Acela, then you can leave your bags in the storage area in the lounge for free.
Old May 24, 2010, 3:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
I have a PC membership, how safe is the Club Acela? Also, if I don't get back in time would I be able to get my bag the next morning?
IMHO the NY CA is the least secure of the 4 CA's on the NEC. I certainly would not leave anything of major value in my bag if I were leaving it there. One can enter the area from two places, so it's hard for the agents to keep track of who goes in/out of the area. That said, access to the CA is restricted which tends to help keep things safe.

I'm not at all sure what would happen with luggage left there overnight, or for that matter what would happen if you left a day checked bag at the luggage counter overnight.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:52 am

I was in Penn Station this morning and took photos of the Left Luggage and Checked baggage requirements:

Do they really get that many tandem bikes that it requires two line items?

While baggage prices have gone up, last year I paid $5 to take a 17 foot kayak with me from New Orleans to NYP. Oh, I paid up the additional ten bucks for the $2,500 total insurance Getting the kayak out of Penn was a different issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.