Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

8,000 Points Chase AGR Credit Card Offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al

Looks like the bonus offer has finally been published for the new Amtrak Guest Rewards World MasterCard from Chase.

Quoting the email:

Card benefits include:
- 8,000 bonus points after first purchase(1)
- No annual fee
- 2 points per $1 spent on Amtrak purchases(2)
- 1 point per $1 spent on purchases everywhere else(2)
- Low introductory APR

A new card will be available this fall, at which
time you will receive an email or letter inviting you
to apply for the new card. You will receive a total
of 8,000 points with this Bonus Offer. 4,000 bonus
points will post to your Chase credit card account and
appear on your Chase statement and an additional 4,000
bonus points will post directly to your Amtrak Guest
Rewards account and appear on your Amtrak Guest Rewards
statement. Amtrak is wholly liable for the 4,000 bonus
points posted directly to your Amtrak Guest Rewards
account. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your first purchase
for bonus points to post to both your Chase credit card
and Amtrak Guest Rewards accounts.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: AGR Select +
I received that letter too. The card is to be available in September.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Weird. The online promo page has a bonus of 5k Amtrak points, not 8k. Is this one targeted?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:52 pm

Programs: Peon in all
I received the 8K offer too. Perhaps those that registered for the "advance notification" got the 8K offer, and those that did not got the 5K offer.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Well, I certainly didn't register for "advanced notification" and I got the 8k offer. I did, however, have the previous MBNA Amtrak MasterCard. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I got the e-mail offering me the 8k, etc., but when I click on the link the web page says 5k. What's going on?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:01 am
njm

Programs: AGR, CO
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
You will receive a total
of 8,000 points with this Bonus Offer. 4,000 bonus
points will post to your Chase credit card account and
appear on your Chase statement and an additional 4,000
bonus points will post directly to your Amtrak Guest
Rewards account and appear on your Amtrak Guest Rewards
statement. Amtrak is wholly liable for the 4,000 bonus
points posted directly to your Amtrak Guest Rewards
account.
-FlyerBeek
Quick question: what does it mean that 4,000 points will post to the Chase credit card account? Are these points for some Chase program, and not AGR? Forgive me if this isn't a good question, but is this something that the holders of the old AGR BOA CC already know about?

Last edited by njm; Aug 14, 2007 at 9:02 am Reason: to make sentences make sense
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by njm
Quick question: what does it mean that 4,000 points will post to the Chase credit card account? Are these points for some Chase program, and not AGR? Forgive me if this isn't a good question, but is this something that the holders of the old AGR BOA CC already know about?
I had the old AGR CC, and received the 8000 points offer. I interpreted it as being 4000 AGR points and 4000 of general CC points that Chase probably offers on most CCs. Thus, a total of 8000 points, but not 8000 AGR points. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I read it.

4000 AGR points just isn't sufficient incintive for me to open another CC account.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:37 am

Can't wait!
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cbender
I had the old AGR CC, and received the 8000 points offer. I interpreted it as being 4000 AGR points and 4000 of general CC points that Chase probably offers on most CCs. Thus, a total of 8000 points, but not 8000 AGR points. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I read it.
I think that you are misinterpreting the offer. You will get 8,000 AGR points under the terms of the offer. Chase will be responsible for transferring (and paying Amtrak for) 4,000 of those points, and those points will "appear" on your Chase statement, along with the points for any purchases you make with the card. The remaining 4,000 points will be Amtrak's responsibility. They will not appear on your Chase statement, and Chase will not be responsible for them. No other interpretation makes sense. If the 4,000 points that post on the Chase statement are not AGR points, what are they? And how would one be able to earn (and redeem) additional non-AGR "Chase" points? Surely, Chase would not let you earn both AGR points and some sort of non-AGR points for the same purchase.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:05 am

If you really want bonus points open a CO mastercard, I just got an offer for 20k points. Then transfer them into AGR.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
If you really want bonus points open a CO mastercard, I just got an offer for 20k points. Then transfer them into AGR.
But the Amtrak card has no annual fee. I don't really want to PAY for the bouns points.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rtpflyer
But the Amtrak card has no annual fee. I don't really want to PAY for the bouns points.
I'd certainly pay $65/$85 for 20k AGR points...
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by nerd
I'd certainly pay $65/$85 for 20k AGR points...
More like 12K versus the Amtrak card (of course I suppose you could get BOTH...). Actually though, I have a backlog of CO points in my account already that I can transfer as needed, so I don't need to pay for more.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:26 pm

paying $65/85 for 20k amtrak points and getting a 2 zone roomette is an amazing deal. If you pay $65 you can book an North East zone ticket for $9.75.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.