FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   2007 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/625507-2007-amtrak-promotions-discounts.html)

ByeByeDelta Nov 15, 2006 7:42 pm

2007 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Please Read This Post First!

Welcome to the Amtrak discount codes and promotions thread! If you are looking for a discount please read the information below. Discounts are organized by region for quick reference. If nothing is listed for your route, check the national promotions section for nationwide discounts.

@:-) NEW! - When you see this icon, it means the following is new or updated information.

Train Status Statistics
Use the following site to track up to three weeks of a particular train's on-time performance at a particular station. Very useful tool to guesstimate how your train will run.
Disclaimer! - Use these codes at your own risk. Many are targeted for specific people/organizations which may require proof of eligibility when booking or picking tickets up. Conductors may also verify eligibility onboard the train.

General Terms and Blackouts: Most discounts require a three day advance purchase. Sleeper accommodations, Auto Train, weekday Acela Express service and non-Amtrak operated Thruway services are typically excluded as well. Check with Amtrak for specific terms and conditions before booking.

Most promotions and discounts are not applicable during high-demand periods. The following dates of travel are excluded from the offers below unless otherwise stated: May 25-28, 2007; August 31 - September 3, 2007; October 5-8, 2007; November 9-12, 2007; November 20-27, 2007; December 14, 2007 - January 2, 2008; January 18-21, 2008; February 15-18, 2008; March 20-24, 2008.

National Promotions

Seniors - 15% off
Amtrak travelers 62 years of age and over receive a 15% discount on the applicable adult rail fare on most Amtrak trains.

Student Advantage - 15% off
College students can purchase the Student Advantage cards to receive discounts at hundreds of retailers, including a 15% discount on Amtrak travel and Amtrak Express shipping. Amtrak reservations must be made at least three days in advance to receive discount. http://www.studentadvantage.com/disc...rd/pjp?id=9191
@:-) Save an additional 10% off Student Advantage fares with H747. Tickets must be purchased by October 20, 2007 for travel through December 13, 2007. Blackout dates apply. Valid for travel on the following services: Carolinian, Pennsylvanian, Piedmont, Blue Water, Hoosier State, Illinois Zephyr, Kansas City Mule, Pere Marquette, Saluki, St. Louis Mule, Wolverine, San Joaquins and Cascades. Thanks jackal!
International Student Identification Card - 15% off
Students holding an International Student Identification Card will receive 15% off the rail fare on most routes. Must present ISIC and school ID card to qualify for discount. Excludes all Acela Express and Metroliner services. Reservations must be made at least three days in advance. Visit
http://www.myisic.com/

Veteran's Advantage - 15% off Unlike Student Advantage, you really do have to be a veteran for this one. http://www.veteransadvantage.com/par...amtrak-50.html

AAA - 10% off
American Automobile Association members save 10% off adult rail fares. Three day advance reservation required.

Military Discount - 10% off
Active duty US military personnel, along with their spouses and their dependents, are eligible to receive a 10% discount off most Amtrak rail fares in the US, including travel on the Auto Train.

National Association of Railroad Passengers 10% discount - Join NARP, support Amtrak and receive a 10% discount on most rail fares! http://www.narprail.org/cms/index.php/main/discount/

Weekly Specials and Hot Deals
Amtrak posts special, online-only rail fares each week. Fares are typically good for travel to/from any two stations located between the listed origin and destination stations. Fares are always listed for one-way travel only. The Hot Deals page lists other promotions underway.

Weekly Specials
Hot Deals!

V185 - Save 10%
Save 10% off most rail fares for travel through December 13, 2007. No advance purchase required. Not valid on Acela, Auto Train, Carolinian, Piedmont, Capitol Corridor, San Joaquins, Pacific Surfliner or services operating to Canada. Thanks saschasegan!

Guest Rewards Promotions

Double Points on the GrandLuxe Limited
@:-) Passengers traveling on the rail cruise operator GrandLuxe can now earn 2,000 Guest Reward points per trip. Book by December 10, 2007 for travel by April 30, 2008 and receive double points.

Double Points
Register for the Fall Double Points promotion. All travel between September 17, 2007 and December 13, 2007 qualifies for double points. Blackout dates apply: November 20 through 22. Members must register before traveling. Visit http://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/in...promo0907.html

Sign up for the new Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard from Chase and receive up to 8,000 bonus points. 0% APR on balance transfers and purchases for the first six months. Visit www.amtrakguestrewards.com/mastercard to open a new account.
Northeast Routes

Save 50% on companion tickets traveling on the Northeast Corridor through the end of the year using one of the following codes: V383, V679, V769. Thanks saschasegan!

V688 - 20% off the NEC
Save 20% off tickets between Washington, DC and Springfield, MA on most regional services through December 13, 2007. Blackout dates apply.

V731 - 20% off to Rhode Island
Receive 20% off the lowest available railfare traveling to Rhode Island. This discount cannot be booked via the Internet, must call or visit a staffed station. Thanks saschasegan!

V733 - 50% off companion ticket
Purchase two Adult tickets and save 50% on the second ticket for most Northeast Regional services. Valid through September 30, 2007. Not valid for travel on Acela Express. Three day advance purchase required. Other restrictions may apply. Thanks saschasegan!
Southern Routes

V542 - 20% off Florida
Order a FREE Orlando Magicard and save 20% off rail fare to/from all Central Florida stations on Auto Train and the Silver Service. Cannot be booked via Amtrak.com. Must call 1-800-USA-RAIL to book. Some restrictions apply.

http://www.orlandoinfo.com/magicard/...ategory&cid=12

V630 - 20% off between New York City, Charlotte, NC and Miami
Passengers traveling on the Carolinian, Piedmont or Silver Star can save 20% off the lowest available railfare using code V630. Three day advance purchase required. Good for travel through November 1, 2007 on trains 73, 74, 79, 80, 91 and 92 only. Thanks saschasegan!

V640 & V644 - 15% discount to/from Kissimmee or Miami
Take 15% off the lowest available railfare when traveling on the Silver Service to/from Kissimmee or Miami. No advance purchase required. Valid for travel through April 30, 2008 on trains 91, 92, 97 and 98. For travel to Kissimmee, use code V640 and for Miami use V644. Blackout dates apply. Thanks TRSTACIE!

Midwestern Routes

H711 - Free Companion on the Heartland Flyer
Travel between Ft. Worth and Oklahoma City on the Heartland Flyer and receive a free companion ticket. Three day advance purchase required. Blackout dates apply. Good for travel through December 13, 1007.

V539 - 50% off companion fare
Companions receive 50% off traveling between St. Louis and Kansas City on trains 311, 313, 314, and 316. Three day advance purchase required. Blackout dates apply. Good for travel through December 13, 2007. Thanks johncm!

@:-)V788 - Texas Eagle 50% off companion fare
Companions receive 50% off traveling between Chicago and Los Angeles on the Texas Eagle. Three day advance purchase required. Blackout dates apply. Valid for purchase October 9, 2007 through February 29, 2008 on trains 21, 22, 421 and 422. Thanks ByeByeDelta!
Western Long Haul Routes

@:-) H743 - Save an additional 10% with AAA
Passengers traveling on the western long hauls can save an additional 10% off the already discounted AAA railfare. Tickets must be purchased between October 20, 2007 and December 31, 2007 for travel January 7, 2008 through March 13, 2008. Valid on the California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle. Thanks TRSTACIE!

X546 - 15% off the Empire Builder
Traveling between Seattle and the Windy City? X546 is good for 15% off your journey. Discount cannot be booked online. Must call Amtrak or visit a station to book. Thanks saschasegan!
Northwestern Routes

No current promotions known.

Southwestern Routes

H636 - Save 20% traveling on the Pacific Surfliner
Save 20% off railfare traveling on the Pacific Surfliner between San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara and Paso Robles. Valid for travel through December 13, 2007. Blackout dates may apply. Thanks saschasegan!

H735 - Kids Ride Free on Surfliner and San Joaquins

Through December 13, 2007 up to two children may ride free with each paid adult, senior or disabled ticket on Surfliner and San Joaquins. No advance purchase required. Coupon is required, however Amtrak.com and Quik-Trak ticketing appear to work. Thanks HeHateY!

@:-) V834 - Military Members save 20%
Active Military and Reservists may travel on the Pacific Surfliners and San Joaquins for 20% off the lowest available railfare. Valid for purchase and travel through May 22, 2008 in Coach class only. Not valid on 7000-8999 Thruway buses. Military identification must be presented when picking up tickets. "Seating is limited and may not be available on all trains at all times." Thanks TRSTACIE!

the_traveler Nov 16, 2006 1:02 pm

V383 is useable now (Nov 2006) for 25% off for 2 pax, but requires a 3 day advance purchase! :(

tahoejeff Nov 24, 2006 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by the_traveler
V383 is useable now (Nov 2006) for 25% off for 2 pax, but requires a 3 day advance purchase! :(

restrictions? i just tried v383 on the cali zephyr for a january '07 trip, and it was rejected.

the_traveler Nov 24, 2006 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by tahoejeff
restrictions? i just tried v383 on the cali zephyr for a january '07 trip, and it was rejected.

V383 is only valid for the NEC! :( (It is not even valid for a trip from say NY to FL or NC - which 1/2 is on the NEC! :( )

jcm9572 Nov 27, 2006 4:53 am

Mrs. jcm9572 got a postcard in the mail:

H653: 50% off companion fare on the Auto Train. Rail fare only, no discount on accommodation charges. Valid for sale 16Nov06 - 15Mar07, travel 16Jan07 - 18Mar07. Blackout dates: 16-19Feb07. 3 day advance reservations required.

Caveat emptor: In the fine print, it says: "The original coupon must be surrendered to the Amtrak Agent or Travel Agent at the time of ticket purchase." I had no problem punching it in on the website, but I didn't go all the way to the enter CC info portion of the reservation center.

On the humorous side for the rail buffs, the picture on the front side shows a single diesel (looks like P-42 #40?) pulling 2 VIEWLINER sleepers and at least three AMFLEET cars.

Reindeerflame Dec 1, 2006 9:42 am

H652: 15% Capitol Corridor 15th Anniversary Fares

H652 - CAPITOL CORRIDOR 15TH ANNIVERSARY 15PCT OFF DISCOUNT
03 THE CAPITOL CORRIDOR (Sacramento/San Francisco/San Jose) ROUTE IS CELEBRATING ITS 15TH
04 ANNIVERSARY. A LIMITED-TIME DISCOUNT OFFER WILL BE
05 PROMOTED ON THEIR WEBSITE, BY EMAIL NEWSLETTERS, AND
06 AT THE 'BIRTHDAY PARTY' ON DEC. 12TH IN SACRAMENTO, CA.
08 THIS OFFER IS AVAILABLE FOR SALE 16DEC06 - 31DEC06 AND
09 FOR TRAVEL 16DEC06 - 15FEB07. THERE ARE NO BLACKOUT DATES.
11 THIS OFFER IS VALID FOR 15-PCT OFF THE BEST AVAILABLE
12 ADULT RAIL FARE. THIS OFFER MAY BE OFFERED TO ALL RIDERS.
13 FOR THIS CELEBRATION THE MULTI-RIDE TICKETS HAVE BEEN
14 REDUCED BY 15PCT FOR THE SAME SALE PERIOD. THE MULTI-RIDE
15 TICKET PRICES HAVE BEEN REDUCED SO NO DISCOUNT CODE IS
16 NEEDED FOR PRICING.

Arahova Dec 13, 2006 7:54 am

v383

I can't get v383 to work for 2 one way tickets from Kingston, RI - New York on Jan 1. Is this date blacked out?

the_traveler Dec 13, 2006 8:22 am

I believe so!:(

KIN is my home station, and I tried for some other dates around the holidays without luck!:(

the_traveler Dec 19, 2006 4:34 pm

H644

Save 50% on companion fare and 25% on business class seats or sleeping accommodations.

AAA members will receive 50% off one companion rail fare. And, save 25% off the best available fares on business class seats or sleeping accommodations.

Reservations must contain a current valid AAA membership number and your AAA card must be presented at the time of ticketing, as well as onboard.

Use Promotion Code H644

Offer valid for one companion at 50% off the regular (full) Amtrak rail fare traveling with a paid AAA discounted adult rail fare ticket.
Offer valid for 25% off the best available business class seat or sleeping accommodation upon payment of the applicable accommodation charges.
Valid for sale December 18, 2006 - February 28, 2007.
Valid for travel January 3, 2007 - March 15, 2007.
Not valid for travel during the following blackout periods:
- January 12-15, 2007
- February 16-19, 2007
Reservations must be made at least three days prior to departure.
Valid for travel on the following Amtrak services:
Ann Rutledge, Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Capitols, Cardinal, Cardinal, Carl Sandburg, Carolinian, Cascades, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Illini, Illinois Zephyr, Kansas City Mule, St. Louis Mules, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service, Maple Leaf, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto, Pennsylvanian, Pere Marquette, Piedmont, Saluki, San Joaquins, Southwest Chief, State House, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Wolverine.
Once travel has begun, no changes to the itinerary are permitted.
Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice.
Other restrictions apply.

tahoejeff Dec 20, 2006 8:05 am

Originally Posted by the_traveler (Post 6874293)
Save 50% on companion fare and 25% on business class seats or sleeping accommodations.

thank you!! i just cancelled my current tickets for a january ski trip, signed up for AAA, and saved $90 on my amtrak fare, even after the AAA membership fees!! thank you!!

ByeByeDelta Dec 21, 2006 3:16 pm

Wow... A discount for business and sleeping car accommodations! :eek:

jrod Dec 27, 2006 11:45 pm

Are there ever Empire Builder discounts?

Sorry if this is covered somewhere, but I have not seen any discounts for the Empire Builder train. I am heading out of Seattle and going to Whitefish to ski in mid-January. Is it worth waiting until the New Year to see if any new codes come out, or should I just bite the bullet and pay full fair? Thanks from a Newbie!

AlanB Dec 28, 2006 4:55 am

Originally Posted by jrod (Post 6911428)
Sorry if this is covered somewhere, but I have not seen any discounts for the Empire Builder train. I am heading out of Seattle and going to Whitefish to ski in mid-January. Is it worth waiting until the New Year to see if any new codes come out, or should I just bite the bullet and pay full fair? Thanks from a Newbie!

I probably wouldn't wait for any discount codes, since Amtrak has been excluding the Empire Builder from many of the recent offers. Additionally if you did buy a regular ticket and a code does come out, as long as you haven't picked up the tickets you can cancel the reservation and get a full refund. Then just turn around and buy a new ticket with the discount code.

Now, all that said, I'd go to the Amtrak site right now and check out the Weekly Specials. The EB is currently available for many dates in January. For example I put in Jan 17th, since you said mid-Jan. Via the weekly specials I got a one way price from Seattle to Whitefish for $51. The price through the normal reservation process for the same date is $78, that's a bit more than a 30% discount which is more than any discount code will ever get you.

Note: Weekly special tickets are non-refundable even if you haven't picked up the tickets, so make sure that you have the right dates and that the trip is a go, before you buy them.

the_traveler Dec 28, 2006 8:20 am

Originally Posted by jrod (Post 6911428)

As AlanB stated, the weekly specials on amtrak.com currently offers the EB, from Jan 3 to Feb 14. There may or may not be seats on all trains on all dates. (They only offer a set amount - and may be sold out on your date, but may be offered on the day after.)

Another idea is to check for both #7 & #27, and also #8 and # 28, for seats. They are the same train (7/27 and 8/28), but they may offer different seats at different prices. (Much like DL will sell seat 23-A for $300, but NW will sell 23-B for $375! :eek: )

Also the weekly specials are offered (and run) from Friday to Thursday! It may be offered this week but may not be offered for the same dates (or at all) next week!

cherylp3 Dec 28, 2006 11:28 am

Just a note that the Magiccard code was over when I called to make reservations last month.