Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

as of 1 Dec, 5k Amtrak points now only convert to 15k (not 25k) Choice points!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

as of 1 Dec, 5k Amtrak points now only convert to 15k (not 25k) Choice points!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2007, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unhappy as of 1 Dec, 5k Amtrak points now only convert to 15k (not 25k) Choice points!!!

At least that's what it says on the Add to Cart line now.

But if you click "view detail", the page header still says 5k to 25k, and the Terms and Conditions still says:

Amtrak Guest Rewards points will be converted to Choice Privileges points in increments of 5,000 Amtrak Guest Rewards points to 25,000 Choice Privileges points.
But again, on that page, the Add to Cart line now says 15,000 Choice points is what you'll get for Item# 4012 at the cost of 5,000 Amtrak points.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Also see this thread in the Southwest forum for active discussion.

Several of us see "15,000" listed in AGR Acct. Activity for our old transfers, but still 25K in our Choice acct.s.
Someone has noticed that Amtrak & Choice have worked together on this on a surprise Sat. AM esp. re: sWN transfers, which require that you must have stayed at Choice at least once since 1/1/2006 or have a Choice Visa/MC.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:02 pm

Amtrak Backdating Choice Privilage transfers

I made transfer 11/19 from Amtrak to Choice privilages, when I made transfer rate was 5,000 to 25,000, just looked at my account points have still not posted to choice privilages. Amtrak shows tranfer rate fulfilled at 15,000 points. can they do this?
Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:36 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Seems like you answered your own question, if they did it, they must be able to do it.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:47 pm

received this email 11/19 from Amtrak

Thank you for redeeming for an Amtrak Guest Rewards item. You’ve ordered:

25,000 Choice Privileges Points
Item # 4012
5,000 Points
To be mailed

Item # 4012
5,000 Points
To be mailed

Item # 4012
5,000 Points
To be mailed

Amtrak travel rewards are processed and mailed within 2 business days. Please allow 4-6 weeks for partner rewards. Please keep this confirmation email for your records and Contact Us if you have additional questions

my order yesterday said it was fulfilled for 25,000 points and the rate today shows 15,000

if they processed and mailed it how can they change it 12 days later
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
Seems like you answered your own question, if they did it, they must be able to do it.
We will have to wait and see. When you log into your AGR account it lists it as 5k AGR for 15k Choice. However As mentioned before I also have an email that states 5k AGR->25k Choice. Now I am a expert on loyalty programs legal obligation however it is my understanding that AGR needs to honor the exchange rate for the people who already made the request.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:56 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, US Airways Dividend Miles, Choice Hotels, Hertz #1
So once again it is shown that the worst thing an affinity/points/ redemption program can do is actually give you something for value that costs them something. They never understand the laws of unintended consequences. The quick change in the program will cost them more in goodwill than it would have if they just announced that they were ending it in X amount of weeks then rolled it out again later at the reduced points.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Calm down for now.
AGR's technology is not exactly great.
I suspect it's just a database issue--they updated the description of Item 4012, and that changed all references to Item 4012 everywhere. What they should have done is discontinued item 4012 and added a new item number with the new conversion rate. They were sloppy and in a hurry and did not do so.

Wait until the points actually post to Choice. If they post to Choice at something less than you agreed to at the time of redemption, then you have a legitimate complaint. Until then, sit tight, and good luck.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
PhilaBurbTom, the best thing 2 points programs could do is to allow transfers in both directions at close to the same exchange rate, fair enough that some people will transfer in each direction. The 2 programs could basically swap points between each other & use cash only to settle the monthly or quarterly net differences.

Last edited by Brendan; Dec 2, 2007 at 12:20 pm
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
MOD Hat On

I've merged the two threads related to the Choice Redemption changes into one. Thanks!

MOD Hat Off
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brendan
PBT, the best thing 2 points programs could do is to allow transfers in both directions at close to the same exchange rate, fair enough that some people will transfer in each direction. The 2 programs could basically swap points between each other & use cash only to settle the monthly or quarterly net differences.
AGR and Choice do each allow transfers to each other.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:22 pm

Yes, Soitgoes, but my point is: How do/ can the 2 programs settle accounts with each other!?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:53 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I have the email too. I transferred 5 x 5000 Amtrak point rewards out on 11/27. The email, and details of my order online, show 5000:25000 ratio. Yet the summary of the order (item #4012) shows 15,000 Choice Points.

Nothing has posted yet. This will be interesting. My transfer request went in before they changed the point structure. If I don't see 125,000 points in my CP account (whenever they get around to posting), I want restitution.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:15 am

This Amtrak program has been a disaster for me. I have this account for years and have never redeemed an award. Everytime that I think about redeeming an award, the program is changed without any notice. How does a program work like this?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chauming
This Amtrak program has been a disaster for me. I have this account for years and have never redeemed an award. Everytime that I think about redeeming an award, the program is changed without any notice. How does a program work like this?
I think part of the problem is that the program is completely outsourced--from its original design, to implementation, to marketing, to redemption.

AGR is horrible at communicating things--even positive things like the online train ticket redemption options.

Though AGR has played around with its partners too much, the train rewards haven't changed too much. (There was that one period where NEC trips doubled in price from 2,500 to 5,000 points, but that was corrected with new NEC awards.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.