2007 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Subscribe
I've been trying to use H571 for a 20% discount for travel on Jan 3. Is this code out of date, and if so, does anyone know of something similar (other than AAA) for travel between Kingston RI and Boston?
Quote: I've been trying to use H571 for a 20% discount for travel on Jan 3. Is this code out of date, and if so, does anyone know of something similar (other than AAA) for travel between Kingston RI and Boston?
H571, along with most 2006 discount codes, expired Dec 15, 2006.

There may be some new codes (I'm not sure if 1/3 is within the blackout period), but most discounts (including the AAA fare) now require a 3-day advance purchase (Your trip is within 3 days! Thus the only fare you can get would be full fare! )
Need help with Amtrak codes for Regional: DC to Williamsburg
Hi,

Appreciate any advice on discounts to take the family from DC to Williamsburg, VA and back in February. Without discount it is $$$$!

Thanks for any tips!
Quote: Hi,

Appreciate any advice on discounts to take the family from DC to Williamsburg, VA and back in February. Without discount it is $$$$!

Thanks for any tips!
Welcome to FT, kikawaks!

As a reminder, FT is not a travel agency. That being said, let me try to give you some assistance. Have you tried to use V383?

Without knowing any more specifics, I can not be any more specific. You said "... take the family ..." and "... in February ..." Is the family 1 or 2 adults and 2 children 2-15 or 3 teenagers or 2 children and 1 infant or ...? Is "in February" during one of the blackout periods for V383?

Worse comes to worse, there's always the AAA fare for a 10% discount.
Quote: Welcome to FT, kikawaks!

As a reminder, FT is not a travel agency. That being said, let me try to give you some assistance. Have you tried to use V383?

Without knowing any more specifics, I can not be any more specific. You said "... take the family ..." and "... in February ..." Is the family 1 or 2 adults and 2 children 2-15 or 3 teenagers or 2 children and 1 infant or ...? Is "in February" during one of the blackout periods for V383?

Worse comes to worse, there's always the AAA fare for a 10% discount.
//////////////

Thanks - I realize this is not a travel agency so no problem there .

2/22 and 2/24 are our travel dates from DC to Williamsburg and back. 2 adults, 2 kids, the goldfish (ok, not the last one).

Tried the code V383. It did not accept it and said, "Problem With Promotional Fare: The promotional fare you requested requires travel with an eligible companion." Do you know more about this promo?
Quote: //////////////

Thanks - I realize this is not a travel agency so no problem there .

2/22 and 2/24 are our travel dates from DC to Williamsburg and back. 2 adults, 2 kids, the goldfish (ok, not the last one).

Tried the code V383. It did not accept it and said, "Problem With Promotional Fare: The promotional fare you requested requires travel with an eligible companion." Do you know more about this promo?
Did you enter 2 as the number of
passengers on the res page? It worked for me on the two dates you mention for $120.00.
Quote: 2/22 and 2/24 are our travel dates from DC to Williamsburg and back. 2 adults, 2 kids, the goldfish (ok, not the last one).

I think the problem (that cased the error code) is that you requested the 2 adults as "AAA fares". Most promo codes require the fare be entered as "Adult"! (One of the few execptions is H644 currently available! ^ Most discounts can not be combined with another discount.)

I believe the fare quoted by PhilaBurbTom (of $120) was only for O/W and for 2 adults and 0 children. Computing R/T, using either #67 or 95 on the outbound and #66 on the return, I got $200 for the 4 in the party! (Use 2 adult fares and 2 children - not AAA child - fares! Using the AAA child fare will get the error message - and a higher fare!) If you return on #194, the fare is higher also.

The goldfish are free, as long as they are on a leash!
June Discounts?
Hey everyone,

Are there any discounts that are good for June '07 yet? Looking to take the train the week of the 18th from Iowa to Niagara Falls. If not, anyone have a guestimate when those discount codes might be released?

Thanks!
Quote: Are there any discounts that are good for June '07 yet? Looking to take the train the week of the 18th from Iowa to Niagara Falls. If not, anyone have a guestimate when those discount codes might be released?
Welcome to FT apoc9999!

I don't know of any yet, or an idea when they may be announced. Just keep an eye on this thread, and there may be something!

One question - you said Niagara Falls, is that Niagara Falls New York or Niagara Falls Ontario? The Empire Searvice trains go only to Niagara Falls, NY, but the Maple Leaf crosses the border and stops at both stations! Because the Maple Leaf is operated by VIA from Niagara Falls, ON to Toronto, any Amtrak discount will not apply to Niagara Falls, ON - but they will apply to Niagara Falls, NY!
Code for Seattle to Sac (11 Coast Starlight), strictly discount?
tried a code from 2006 forum (H570, 25% off), replied that this code is not valid online (will call Amtrak to get details). Does anyone know of anything else I could try? Dept: 01/27/07 Return: 02/05/07, 1 adult (thanks)...I called and this code (H570) expired in Dec.
Quote: tried a code from 2006 forum (H570, 25% off), replied that this code is not valid online (will call Amtrak to get details). Does anyone know of anything else I could try? Dept: 01/27/07 Return: 02/05/07, 1 adult (thanks)
Welcome to FT, cruzadergamer!

H570 expired on Dec 15. However, H644 should work for you. (And it's good on a AAA fare, and for sleepers also! )

Correction - I see that it is only 1 pax. H644 is only good for 2 pax (for the rail fare), but it can still be used for a discount for the sleeper (for a 25% discount)!

For the rail portion, you can use the AAA fare for 10% off.
I don't have AAA, but my father does. Could he purchase the ticket or would there be some outrageous fee for the "credit card holder" not being the traveler?
Quote: I don't have AAA, but my father does. Could he purchase the ticket or would there be some outrageous fee for the "credit card holder" not being the traveler?
Technically, the pax with the AAA membership has to be in the party traveling, and the whole party qualifies for the AAA fare. The person must present the AAA card to the agent at the ticket window to obtain the tickets. But there is a way around this!

If you reserve and purchase your tickets online, and pick them up at a Quik-Trak machine, you never have to see an agent! (Yes, you must put in the AAA number, but the computer only "checks" to see if it a valid format (15 digits not 13 digits), and a valid club code.

King Street Station has a Quk-Trak machine!

As long as the card is authorized to be used, and Amtrak gets paid, it doesn't matter who's name is on the card. (The same with airlines, restaurants, stores, etc...)
Quote: Welcome to FT apoc9999!

One question - you said Niagara Falls, is that Niagara Falls New York or Niagara Falls Ontario? The Empire Searvice trains go only to Niagara Falls, NY, but the Maple Leaf crosses the border and stops at both stations! Because the Maple Leaf is operated by VIA from Niagara Falls, ON to Toronto, any Amtrak discount will not apply to Niagara Falls, ON - but they will apply to Niagara Falls, NY!
The plan was to go to Niagara Falls, ON. Does that mean there are no possibilities of discount or just that I should be looking elsewhere for discount?

Thanks for your help!
Quote: The plan was to go to Niagara Falls, ON. Does that mean there are no possibilities of discount or just that I should be looking elsewhere for discount?

Thanks for your help!
Most promo codes will not work to ON, but will work to NY! (If you try a promo fare from say Chicago to Niagara Falls, ON, you will probably get an error message. But if you try the same promo code from Chicago to Niagara Falls, NY, it will work! )

Try booking to/from Niagara Falls, NY (using the Maple Leaf), and then book a separate res on the same train from Niagara Falls, NY to Niagara Falls, ON. That way, you'll get the discount for the majority of your trip!