Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Award to Canada?

Been looking online and trying to redeem 6500 points for NE Business one way. Was told by Amtrak rep I could use Washington-New York-Toronto but online, Canada is not included. Another Guest Rewards representative said I could go to CBN- near Niagra Falls Canadian border crossing, but would have to buy separate ticket CBN-Toronto??

Also, will have sever thousand points left over, what would be best use? I saw some trains are only 1000 points such as LAX-SAN. Any others like this or point stretcher awards maybe?
Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of Canada is included, but Toronto is not. Here's the AGR zone chart:
https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/r...art_popup.html

As for other 1K point routes, the following routes qualify:
Cascades®, Pacific Surfliner®, Capitol CorridorSM, San Joaquins, Hiawatha and Downeaster.

Being that you appear to live in the NE, the Downeaster (to Maine) might be of interest to you.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:40 pm

Probably the best value for a 1000-point award is a trip from Eureka to Las Vegas (involves bus segments).
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hilton (D)
Cascades 1K Seattle to Vancouver a good investment

I redeemed several 1K's for myself, my wife, and two daughters on a summer round trip from Seattle to Vancouver. Fantastic scenery and the Talgo is a nice train.

I agree with Reindeer that some of the San Joaquin routes with bus connections will get the most mileage for the buck (point).
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by idealflyer
Been looking online and trying to redeem 6500 points for NE Business one way. Was told by Amtrak rep I could use Washington-New York-Toronto but online, Canada is not included. Another Guest Rewards representative said I could go to CBN- near Niagra Falls Canadian border crossing, but would have to buy separate ticket CBN-Toronto??
Toronto and other cities on the Maple Leaf are not valid destinations when using AGR points, because once the train crosses the border it becomes a VIA Rail train. Yes it is still the same physical Amtrak cars that you started out in from NYC, but all Amtrak personel exit the train at the first stop in Canada, Niagara Falls.

At that point employees from VIA Rail board the train and operate it to Toronto. They collect seperate fares for operating that portion of the ride to Toronto. Since VIA has their own rewards program, they don't accept AGR reward tickets.

If one buys a ticket from NYC to Toronto, Amtrak actually issues you two tickets. The Amtrak conductor will take the first ticket, the VIA Rail conductor will lift the second ticket after you cross the border. If you happened to live in Canada, then VIA would issue you two tickets one for the VIA conductor, one for the Amtak conductor.

The Cascades service to Vancouver and the Adirondack to Montreal remain under Amtrak control even after crossing the border, so AGR rewards are valid on those trains.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 4:12 pm

Using AGR Points on "Special Routes" ?

Originally Posted by soitgoes

As for other 1K point routes, the following routes qualify:
Cascades®, Pacific Surfliner®, Capitol CorridorSM, San Joaquins, Hiawatha and Downeaster.

Being that you appear to live in the NE, the Downeaster (to Maine) might be of interest to you.

Am I safe in assuming that the 1K Point award is good between any two stations on these "Special Routes" ?

Last edited by thebobmc; Nov 10, 2006 at 4:13 pm Reason: clarification
Old Nov 10, 2006, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebobmc
Am I safe in assuming that the 1K Point award is good between any two stations on these "Special Routes" ?
Yes!
Old Nov 10, 2006, 4:28 pm

Another question about 1K Routes

Thanks for the speedy reply.

In an earlier post it was mentioned that one could use the 1K Point award to travel to Las Vegas.

Does this mean that the Thruway Bus connection from Bakersfield to Vegas is included as part of the San Joaquins route when redeeming a 1K award ?

Thanks again for all your wisdom.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 1:36 am

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by thebobmc
In an earlier post it was mentioned that one could use the 1K Point award to travel to Las Vegas.

Does this mean that the Thruway Bus connection from Bakersfield to Vegas is included as part of the San Joaquins route when redeeming a 1K award ?
Yes, all bus connections to and from the San Joaquin trains are included. If you don't have the full timetable (which includes all the bus connections) for this route, you can download it at http://www.amtrakcalifornia.com/.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.