Wiki Posts
Search

2006 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Unhappy

These promotions aren't "secret". They are marketed somewhere to someone or some group. The reason the list is not for public consumption is they don't want every single passenger getting a discount, especially one they may not qualify for.

I believe the AAA discount used to be passive as well. If the passenger asked for it and produced a membership card in their name, they got the discount. But the agent wasn't supposed to tell people about it, and much less book it if the passenger was not a AAA member (why give a discount if they'll pay full fare anyway?) This is especially important these days with rising fuel costs and an administration looking for and making every excuse it can to get rid of Amtrak. Agents who sell discounts to ineligible passengers are just shooting themselves in the foot.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:26 pm
21A

Just received by mail a ticket I purchased using H535 and it's endorsed "DISCOUNT/NON-REFUNDABLE/BLKOUTS APLY". Caveat emptor.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:37 am

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by krhyme
I just can't find any promotion code for my ride! I've been trying for 2 hours!

Going from Montreal to New York on December 27th one way. We are 2 students with the ISIC card, but if a code only works with adult tickets, that's fine!

Thanks in advance!
Most discount codes are not stackable with other discounts (student, AAA, NARP, etc...)! Usually, these discount codes can only be used with a "regular" adult fare.

Depending on the discount rate, the fare may or may not be the lowest. (Examples - a 5% discount would not be lower than a 10% AAA discount, but a "2 for 1" discount would be better than a 10% discount.)

It pays to check both ways.

Also, there are usually NO discount codes applicable during the holiday season! Most are blacked out from Dec 15.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:57 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
It should also be noted that many of the discounts are not valid when one crosses the boarder between the US and Canada.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
This one requires a coupon - but if you're using a ticket machine at a station, you should be able to get away with not giving up the coupon. For GEICO insurance customers, if you receive GEICO Direct magazine, this coupon is in that magazine.

H552 - Save 20% on Amtrak Adult Fares + double AGR points - note that the coupon says you must present the actual coupon at the ticket office when picking up your tickets.

T/C - Enter H552 when making your reservation. If you are not already an AGR member, use enrollment code GEICO for 1000 points.

Valid for sale between 04DEC05 & 24MAY06 on all Amtrak routes except: Acela Express; Metroliner; Regional (reserved & unreserved), Clockers, and the 7000-8999 Series Thruways. Blackous apply: 16DEC05-02JAN06; 17-20FEB06; 13-17APR06. To receive double AGR points, H552 must be included in the reservation.
I don't think you can use this coupon code online. I'm gettingthe following:
Problem With Promotional Fare: The promotional fare you requested cannot be booked online, so we have provided a non-promotional fare.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:52 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by nerd
I don't think you can use this coupon code online. I'm gettingthe following:
Did you try to use the discount code with (say) a AAA rate? This may be why you're getting the error (non discounted rate). Most discount codes only work with the "regular" adult fare!

Try again choosing an adult fare with the discount code. It should work.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:06 am

Although I've tried about 100 different ways to get around paying full fare, it's not working out too well! But all of this information is amazing - it is very much appreciated even though it didn't work out for me yet. You all know SO much about this and I just wanted to say thanks!
I am travelling this New Year's to Chicago with a friend (most of these codes expire by then, are blacked out, or only for the NE). Anyway, a couple listed on the "secret" post worked, but it proceeded to say I couldn't use them online. I am not sure how or if I can use these discounts, since I don't even know what they are! I'm thinking "Borders Book Holiday Free Companion" is my best bet, but I'm afraid they will start asking questions if I call. Any advice/suggestions? Thanks so much again for all the info and keeping this so up to date!!!!
-Kyndal
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:14 am
21A

Originally Posted by the_traveler
Did you try to use the discount code with (say) a AAA rate? This may be why you're getting the error (non discounted rate).
IME, the message means what it says it means: you just can't book that code online (or with Julie; you have to speak to an agent).

I couldn't get H552 to work online on any itineraries, even with fare type adult and avoiding the blackout dates.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:36 pm

Gyuri_FT

Originally Posted by kmart shopper
Ha ha, sound tipical of ebay they couldnt make no money oof of your listing but the sleezes brought them in lots of money from their sales. oh welll your listing is good idea can you relsit to beat the sleezes again or will someone else hear do it????????? @:-)
Sure, it was re-listed. And this time eBay could not do anything about it, I did not say I offer it for "free", just listed the coupons and made the buying impossible by the "pre-approved" trick, so no bozo will buy by accident.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6577171090
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:43 pm

BTW: H535 does work perfectly. Just returned form CoastStarLate r/t. BTW: the over-zealous Amtrak agent told me in Portland: "the sleepers are so popular, there is almost none left" - offered at the station for $245. Sure enough, I laugh at him and upgraded on board - for $129. There were plenty free. I also remember, one of the agents earlier (I was trying to go with two more people) did offer made me a "very special" offer over the phone, quoting a price with three adults spread over three standard bedrooms... Indeed, a "special" offer, I would not hesitate to fire such Amtrak agents.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 2:18 pm

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts discount codes on this forum. I just saved $30 on my Thanksgiving trip. You all rule!
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:05 pm

I need help with the codes!

I tried to use a Quick-Trak machine for the first time today, but apparently it only sells tickets for departures from that station. Now I will have go there again tomorrow during ticketing hours and buy from an attendant

I was going to use one of these codes: V754, V749, V832 but it's gonna be too late because of the 3-days requirement.

I'm gonna try H535 or H539. Can I use these codes when buying from an agent? What are my other options? I am buying two tickets, so I need either 50% of companion of 25% of each ticket. Traveling to NYC from PA (NE corridor)

By the way I tried the Borders code in the machine and it was no go - code invalid, although the website indicates that the code is valid, but cannot be used online. Was anybody able to figure out how these "secrect" codes work?

Last edited by javabean; Nov 16, 2005 at 5:23 pm
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Book your tix at amtrak.com and then pick them up at the machine. try make the codes work at amtrak.com and then pick them up at station using the rez number...
Old Nov 17, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: NW Gold; US Plat; UA Premier Exec, AirTran Elite, Amtrak Select; Marriott Rewards Platinum
I received a promotion in my email today from AGR.

It makes the points earned in the Fall Acela/Metroliner double points bonus into EQMs, rather than just bonus points. No new bonus code to enter into AGR.

I am currently Select status, and only 2k points away from making Select+. Plus, I have a First Class trip that has yet to post, and I am taking another Acela first class trip this weekend!

"XXXX, you've already reached Select status, it only takes 10,000 rail points to achieve Select Plus status and you're almost there!

If you haven't already done so, register for the Fall Acela promotion, travel on Acela Express® or Metroliner® trains, and then earn twice the usual Amtrak Guest Rewards® points on ALL city pairs through December 31, 2005!

Today through the end of the year, all bonus points earned in the Fall Acela promotion will count toward reaching Select Plus status.

Once you've registered, you'll be on your way to Select Plus status twice as fast!"

Last edited by toddr4fun; Nov 17, 2005 at 2:42 pm
Old Nov 18, 2005, 10:32 pm

Red face Any codes for the Coast Starlight?

Hello all. I've been lurking reading all these great posts, but I can't seem to find any discount codes for the Coast Starlight route; could be that I will be traveling between Christmas and New Year's? I will be traveling with one other adult and a child. Any other discount codes besides the ones being mentioned in this thread? I think I tried every one of them (really).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.