2006 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Old Oct 14, 2005, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
I have merged the V735 thread into this one and added the code to page one.

Carry on!

Moderator Hat Off
Old Oct 14, 2005, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by GWU ESIA STUDENT
Nor on Friday evening trains.
It works on Fridays late evening and very late Sunday evening too. After 10pm. I tried it for PHL-NYC-PHL.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
I have merged the V735 thread into this one and added the code to page one.

Carry on!

Moderator Hat Off
Hey why there is no thanks to me?

And actually you don't have to travel through Philly, valid anywhere in the NE corridor, at least where I tried it

Last edited by javabean; Oct 14, 2005 at 7:50 pm
Old Oct 14, 2005, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by javabean
Hey why there is no thanks to me?

And actually you don't have to travel through Philly, valid anywhere in the NE corridor, at least where I tried it
Sorry j-bean, jeffsui had PM'd me with V735 and I assumed he had started the other thread. You're on the list now, thanks for pointing that out!

I found the full terms and conditions so I included that. It's fairly common knowledge here that Amtrak either does not or cannot fully enforce most of the city/route restrictions. They do nail down Auto Train, Acela and Metroliners without difficulty though...
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:53 am

I am planning to travel with 2 adults, 4 kids on the Southwest Chief. I can book 2 adults/4 kids as AAA members at $914. Or I can book 6 adults with V648 free companion code at $762. Will I have any problem using discount adult tickets for my kids? BTW, they are all 3rd grade and younger and don't have photo IDs.

(And I'm not a Midwest Miles member, whatever that is.)

Thanks.

UPDATE:

OK. I joined Midwest Miles just in case (at Midwest Airlines) and saw these rules:

Free Amtrak companion ticket
Midwest Miles members are offered a free companion ticket with the purchase of an adult, senior or disabled rail fare. Travel by rail August 15 through December 15, 2005. Qualifying train service includes the Hiawathas, Capital Limited, Empire Builder, Texas Eagle, Ann Rutledge, Blue Water, California Zephyr, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Heartland Flyer, Illini, Mules, Lake Shore, State House and Wolverine. Passenger and companion must travel together at all times. Children may travel on the companion ticket or at half fare. Offer not valid September 2-5 and November 22-29, 2005. Book tickets online at amtrak.com or by phone through Amtrak, using code V648. For more information, visit midwestmiles.com.

Of course, SW Chief isn't listed there but it was working OK when I started to purchase.

Last edited by rezrov; Oct 15, 2005 at 12:17 pm Reason: new info
Old Oct 15, 2005, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by rezrov
Will I have any problem using discount adult tickets for my kids? BTW, they are all 3rd grade and younger and don't have photo IDs.
There should be no problem. If you pick your tickets up at a station and the other passengers in your party aren't present, the agent will stamp their tickets, "ID REQUIRED ON BOARD" (this won't happen if you use a QuikTrak machine or have the tix sent by mail). Some train attendants or conductors will check all adults' IDs on-board regardless. But when they see that your kids are obviously under 18, they will not need to see their ID.

Originally Posted by rezrov
Of course, SW Chief isn't listed there but it was working OK when I started to purchase.
You'll find that many Amtrak promotion codes work where they're not "supposed to"!

Happy 'rails, and welcome to FT!

Last edited by GoAmtrak; Oct 15, 2005 at 2:35 pm Reason: added info
Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
New York to DC

As a European I came accidentally across this thread. The two of us have to travel from NYC to DC on a *Sunday* in November. Any codes available?

Best
T
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
As a European I came accidentally across this thread. The two of us have to travel from NYC to DC on a *Sunday* in November. Any codes available?

Best
T
V749 will do. It 's 50% off a companion fare, so you'll get 25% off on two tickets
Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:27 pm

V735 ... My girlfriend tried to buy a v735 from DC to New haven and it didnt work the day of at quik track (or so she claims).
Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Most of the codes require 3-day advance purchase.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 5:00 pm

I'm aware but I belive in some cases you could sneak by the 3day on the quick track machine. Perchance i'm off on that.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:58 pm

H542 does not require 3day advance

Hey guys ... just wanted to let everybody know that H542 doesn't requiret the 3day advanced purchase requirement that most of the codes on here require. This of course makes it VERy nice!!!! Also note that this code is only valid until Dec 15th.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The 3rd through 6th Passengers Save 90%

H545 The 3rd through 6th Passengers Save 90%

Now through March 31, 2006, when you purchase two tickets on trains in the Northeast, the rest of your party - up to four additional people - will travel for 90% off the regular fare.

That means the larger your group, the more you save on each passenger. It's perfect for families looking for an affordable vacation.

Available on:

* Northeast Corridor Regional Trains*
* Empire Corridor Service**
* Downeasters

* Not valid on Acela Express, Metroliners, Clockers or Keystones.
** Between New York City and Albany only.

See additional restrictions in the Terms & Conditions below.
[*]Up to four people save 90% off regular fare.[*]Offer valid for sale until March 31, 2006.[*]Offer valid for travel between May 19, 2005 and August 31, 2006.[*]The first two passengers are at regular (full) adult rail fare, or may use the AAA adult, Student Advantage, Veterans Advantage, and NARP discounted rail fares.[*]The third through sixth passengers will receive a 90 percent off discount from the regular (full) adult rail fare.[*]Reservations must be made at least three days prior to departure.[*]The companion(s) and paid adults must travel together at all times and have tickets issued at the same time.

Blackouts apply for the following dates:

* November 22 - 29, 2005
* December 16, 2005 - January 2, 2006
* January 13 - 16, 2006
* February 17 - 20, 2006
* April 13 - 17, 2006
* May 26 - 29, 2006

Once travel has begun, no changes to the itinerary are permitted. Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice.
One thing they don't specify in the fine print is that the offer does not allow travel during peak times, meaning most of the day Friday or Sunday.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 7:12 am
SWG

V832

V832
50% off companion fare valid to/from New York City
Valid for travel until March 31, 2006
Requires 3-day advanced purchase
Blackout dates Nov 22-29, Dec 15-Jan2,Jan13-16, Feb 17-20
Prohibited on Acela/Metroliner trains

Note: V754 also works for now and offers the same discount for New York.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This one requires a coupon - but if you're using a ticket machine at a station, you should be able to get away with not giving up the coupon. For GEICO insurance customers, if you receive GEICO Direct magazine, this coupon is in that magazine.

H552 - Save 20% on Amtrak Adult Fares + double AGR points - note that the coupon says you must present the actual coupon at the ticket office when picking up your tickets.

T/C - Enter H552 when making your reservation. If you are not already an AGR member, use enrollment code GEICO for 1000 points.

Valid for sale between 04DEC05 & 24MAY06 on all Amtrak routes except: Acela Express; Metroliner; Regional (reserved & unreserved), Clockers, and the 7000-8999 Series Thruways. Blackous apply: 16DEC05-02JAN06; 17-20FEB06; 13-17APR06. To receive double AGR points, H552 must be included in the reservation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.