Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downeaster update/changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Interesting. So it sounds like this would follow the Downeaster route from Portland to just past Haverhill, then cut west to Lowell and southwest to Worchester. Presumably at that point it follows the former NEC "inland" route to Springfield and down to New Haven, where it joins the NEC into NYP.

You have to wonder if this will actually result in a significantly faster trip than doing the current BOS cross-town shuffle and catching a high-speed NER or Acela train there. Certainly the hassle factor would be much lower for people heading to/from Maine, and there's a lot to be said for that. At most I can see this being a once or twice-a-day NEC-extension such as those on the south end to Lynchburg, Newport News, or Norfolk, VA.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:06 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
YES, PLEASE! I would love (and probably use WAY more often than necessary) a single-seat ride from Maine to somewhere other than Boston. Currently Maine and NH are on an Amtrak island. While we're dreaming, let's dream big and put a sleeper on this new service!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:38 am

Downeaster train service adds stop in Kennebunk

http://www.pressherald.com/2014/10/2...-in-kennebunk/

Amtrak will begin stopping in Kennebunk next summer or in 2016, restoring passenger train service to the town for the first time in half a century.

The rail authority that operates the Downeaster service has agreed to add the new seasonal stop to its schedule. Like the stop at Old Orchard Beach, it will be used from April through October.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:17 pm
Ambassador, New England

A Downeaster stop will boost the town’s efforts to showcase its downtown to tourists who might otherwise bypass it
This is a bit of a head scratcher... I don't see a stop in Kennebunk making much sense for people coming TO Kennebunk unless they can guarantee there is a trolley, shuttle, or something else waiting for passengers to take them to/from the downtown as soon as they get off. There is NOTHING near the train station that would be viable for tourists, and I believe the downtown area is a good half mile or possibly more from there.

That said, I think it would be convenient for locals wanting to travel North or South of Kennebunk.

Last edited by lo2e; Oct 30, 2014 at 6:18 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Downeaster ridership, revenue down as track work forces cancellations

The train service will cancel more than 100 Portland-Boston runs this month alone because of a prolonged track rehabilitation project.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/06/0...cancellations/
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:30 pm

Nice article marking the Downeaster's 15th anniversary. Service started 15 years ago today.

Amtrak’s Downeaster at 15: More riders, more communities
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Amtrak brings back 1955 dome rail car to Downeaster train

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...wneaster-train
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Amtrak Downeaster set new ridership record in 2019

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/01/...ecord-in-2019/
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:34 pm
Ambassador, New England

I mentioned on another site that it appeared as though there was more TV advertising in 2019 for the Downeaster here in Maine than there had been in previous years. I don't have any figures to back it up, but it sure felt as though I was seeing TV ads for it more frequently in 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.