Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downeaster update/changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

"Next Big Rail Project Could Extend from Portland to Montreal"

"Now that passenger rail is expanding from Portland to Brunswick in 2012, state transportation officials are looking toward Maine's western mountains and beyond as the next possible link in service. They're gathering input for a preliminary feasibility study that's expected to be released early next year."

http://www.mpbn.net/News/MaineNewsAr...7/Default.aspx
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Jonathan Riskind: Downeaster funding puts pressure on Snowe

The popular Downeaster passenger train service between Portland and Boston is in danger of losing a key federal funding source, and much of the pressure for preserving the money could fall on Sen. Olympia Snowe.

The federal funding -- up to $6 million a year -- is critical because it constitutes more than one-third of the Downeaster's annual operating budget.
http://www.pressherald.com/opinion/d...012-02-26.html
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: AGR Select+, Hilton Gold, Luv SWA, wish their points wud transfer to Amtrak.....
Guess it won't be up to S. Snowe...

apparently she won't be running again............
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

'Quiet zone' hearing for Freeport trains set
As the Downeaster nears scheduled service, residents and businesses are concerned about the train's whistle.

Extension to Freeport and Brunswick in November, whistles and all....
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
PORTLAND — The Amtrak Downeaster will start providing daily passenger rail service to Freeport and Brunswick on Nov. 1, the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority announced Wednesday.
http://www.pressherald.com/news/Amtr...runswick-.html

New schedule:
http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/site...e-10-15-12.pdf
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:26 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Awesome!

A bit of a weird thing with the new schedule - there's a train that leaves BON at 9:05am and arrives in Brunswick at 12:25pm. The next train South out of Brunswick is scheduled leave at 5:50pm. Are they going to keep a trainset at Brunswick for 5+ hours? Or are they going to send it down to Portland empty? I'm assuming freight traffic must somehow be the reason for this, but I'll be curious to see which one they do.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by lo2e
Awesome!

A bit of a weird thing with the new schedule - there's a train that leaves BON at 9:05am and arrives in Brunswick at 12:25pm. The next train South out of Brunswick is scheduled leave at 5:50pm. Are they going to keep a trainset at Brunswick for 5+ hours? Or are they going to send it down to Portland empty? I'm assuming freight traffic must somehow be the reason for this, but I'll be curious to see which one they do.
Actually, the real issue is storage space in Brunswick and they may have to keep the equipment between trips in Portland.

Bob H.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:58 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by BobH
Actually, the real issue is storage space in Brunswick and they may have to keep the equipment between trips in Portland.

Bob H.
Makes sense, but why send it to Portland empty? I guess that's the part I don't quite understand.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Early ridership figures are in:

Riders making a go of train's new stops

So far, total ridership has been beating the projections of the Northern New England Rail Authority, which manages the train service.

The rail authority expected that a 100 people a day would ride the train north of Portland. In November, the average daily ridership was 177. The average dropped slightly in December, to 175 per day, as of Dec. 18.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Expansion of passenger trains in Maine takes slow track
Taking the Downeaster beyond Brunswick hinges on crucial projects and powers of persuasion.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/expa...013-02-04.html
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
The Maine Eastern is more of a tourist line than anything else -- well worth riding if you like that type of thing .... there really isn't the population base in the area to support regular service.

Bob H
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:07 am
Original Poster

‘Yachts on rails’ cruise into Maine
The private owners of 26 vintage train cars arrive in Portland for their annual convention, some traveling in ornate luxury once enjoyed by U.S. presidents.

A half-mile of vintage private railroad cars rolled through southern Maine on Sunday carrying 210 rail fans, some of whom traveled from as far away as California to attend a national convention of private rail car owners in Portland this week.

The Pine Tree Limited – a convoy of three Amtrak locomotives and 26 vintage rail cars – may be the most luxurious and historic train ever to enter Maine.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:48 am

I think this is what I saw from the Mass Pike today. It was on the tracks by the new Yawkey station.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
I think this is what I saw from the Mass Pike today. It was on the tracks by the new Yawkey station.
https://www.aaprco.com/convention/2014/2014index.html
After the conclusion of our convention activities at Portland, on Thursday morning September 25, The Pine Tree Limited will head southwest on Pan Am Railways and the MBTA Grand Junction Line to Beacon Park Yard in Boston, where the train will be split into eastern and western sections. The eastern section will move to Boston South Station, where it will terminate on Thursday afternoon. The western section will proceed west on the route of Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited to Chicago, where it will terminate on Friday morning, September 26.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:19 am
Original Poster

TrainRiders pushing for Portland-to-New York City route

TrainRiders Northeast, flush with the success of seeing Amtrak passenger rail service reach north from Portland to Brunswick in the past two years, announced plans Thursday to pursue a bigger prize: direct rail service from Portland to New York City.
TrainRiders pushing for Portland-to-New York City route

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.