FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   New Amtrak Carry-On Rules: Just to Annoy You? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/279798-new-amtrak-carry-rules-just-annoy-you.html)

doc Jun 28, 2002 8:12 am

New Amtrak Carry-On Rules: Just to Annoy You?

New Amtrak Carry-On Rules

Amtrak says its will impose a two-bag limit for carry-on bags beginning July 1. Identification tags will also be required on most carry-on pieces. Moreover, the rail service says no piece of carry-on luggage should exceed a size limit of 28x22x14 or weigh more than 50 pounds. The railroad does not say how it's going to enforce any of these rules, however, and has apparently made no arrangement to increase the number of Red Caps to handle checked bag. None of this information was available on the Amtrak Website as late as Thursday afternoon, June 27, either. And you were wondering why Amtrak is on the verge of collapse...

STAM4NICK Jun 28, 2002 1:30 pm

Surley First Class on Acela is exempt. There is always plenty of room for everything right now, even when on a full train.

slawecki Jun 29, 2002 2:57 pm

Transatlantic is 63 or 65" total, and 32kg. I have never seen the size enforced, and I don't know how AMTRAK plans to enforce the 50 lbs. I usually cram my things in the handicapped space.

ArlingtonTraveler Jul 2, 2002 8:02 pm

The new requirements are being imposed because Amtrak ended checked baggage service at many on the long distance trains. The FRA apparently was concerned because people still took everything they did when baggage was checked but just carried on, blocking aisles which then becomes a safety issue. Amtrak acting on FRA comments is now imposing the new restrictions, so that carry on baggage does not overflow its designated storage areas.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:
Transatlantic is 63 or 65" total, and 32kg. I have never seen the size enforced, and I don't know how AMTRAK plans to enforce the 50 lbs. I usually cram my things in the handicapped space.</font>

[This message has been edited by dguruswamy (edited 07-09-2002).]

JS Jul 4, 2002 5:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doc:
New Amtrak Carry-On Rules

Amtrak says its will impose a two-bag limit for carry-on bags beginning July 1. Identification tags will also be required on most carry-on pieces. Moreover, the rail service says no piece of carry-on luggage should exceed a size limit of 28x22x14 or weigh more than 50 pounds. The railroad does not say how it's going to enforce any of these rules, however, and has apparently made no arrangement to increase the number of Red Caps to handle checked bag. None of this information was available on the Amtrak Website as late as Thursday afternoon, June 27, either. And you were wondering why Amtrak is on the verge of collapse...
</font>
Doc, what is your source for this biased piece of "news"?

PHL Jul 7, 2002 8:43 am

It's definitely policy now, as it's posted in the stations. But I've not seen it enforced yet.