Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak Northeast Regional Extended to Roanoke

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver

On Oct 31, the first train will depart from Roanoke (RNK) heading north.

https://media.amtrak.com/2017/06/amt...anoke-service/

I am booked on the inaugural. If anyone else is interested, book now. Amtrak will sell you a Thruway connection ticket now because the system hasn't been updated yet, but it will be reissued to a train ticket before departure. The Thruway connection partner will be ending service the day before, so you will be riding the train despite the Thruway ticket.
jackal likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by diburning
On Oct 31, the first train will depart from Roanoke (RNK) heading north.

https://media.amtrak.com/2017/06/amt...anoke-service/

I am booked on the inaugural. If anyone else is interested, book now. Amtrak will sell you a Thruway connection ticket now because the system hasn't been updated yet, but it will be reissued to a train ticket before departure. The Thruway connection partner will be ending service the day before, so you will be riding the train despite the Thruway ticket.
This can now be booked directly w/o a work around

Bob H
jackal likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

If anyone did what I did and booked the thruway segment expecting it to be converted to a train segment, check your reservations. Apparently ARROW can't combine segments automatically, so all it did was cancel the thruway leg. You can call amtrak to be rebooked on the train the entire way, and you'll receive a refund of the fare difference since the price went down without the thruway segment.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'm booked for a turn to DC!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I got an e-ticket email from Amtrak a few minutes ago, and the email says my trip was modified this morning. I thought maybe they were fine-tuning something like adjusting the departure/arrival times or train numbers or something, but I can't see any difference at all between the ticket email I got this morning and the one I got last night after booking. Literally the only thing that changed (from what I can see) is the ticket number is different.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, this is getting odd...I just got another one. Everything looks identical again, except for the ticket number...

Clearly, when things are not quite finalized in the system, ARROW has issues!
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
I'm booked for a turn to DC!
On the inaugural? What do you mean by a turn to DC?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the inaugural? What do you mean by a turn to DC?
Departing Roanoke 6:19am on 10/31, arriving DC at 11:20am; departing DC at 4:50pm same day, arriving back to Roanoke 9:55pm.

I figured that the chances of me getting to take the last train on a given route are much, much higher than the chances of ever again getting to take the first train on a new route, so I decided to make a special trip for this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

I'll see you there!
jackal likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ARROW's stupidity continues. Just received this today:

Our records indicate that your upcoming travel on reservation XXXXXX has been impacted by one or more schedule changes with the following details:

You will depart on Amtrak train number 0176 from Roanoke, Virginia on Tuesday October 31 at 6:19AM and arrive in Washington, District of Columbia on Tuesday October 31 at 11:20AM.

You will depart on Amtrak train number 0171 from Washington, District of Columbia on Tuesday October 31 at 4:50PM and arrive in Roanoke, Virginia on Tuesday October 31 at 9:55PM.

We apologize for any inconvenience. To speak to an Amtrak representative about alternate travel options call us at 877-231-9448 at your earliest convenience. Thank you for being a valued Amtrak customer.

Sincerely,
Amtrak

Join us on facebook.com/Amtrak, and follow us on twitter.com/Amtrak.
Of course, those times are the exact same times my original e-ticket shows when I booked last week...

Though I now suppose I have an out for a full refund if I can't make the trip! I'll just claim the new times don't work for me.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by jackal
ARROW's stupidity continues. Just received this today:

Of course, those times are the exact same times my original e-ticket shows when I booked last week...

Though I now suppose I have an out for a full refund if I can't make the trip! I'll just claim the new times don't work for me.
It's really five hours from Roanoke to DC??
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

I received the same email.

It's approximately 4 hours driving, or a 1 hour flight. 235 miles as the crow flies, 244 miles via highway. The train stops in Lynchburg, Charlottesville, Culpeper, Manassas, Burke Center, and Alexandra along the way. Assuming a 10-minute stop at each of them (It's probably longer at the more popular stops such as Lynchburg and Charlottesville, and shorter at stops like Culpeper) that ~50 mins, so the train is about on par with driving. You'd probably it traffic driving into Washington at the time that the train operates.

I'm flying into Roanoke the day before to ride the inaugural (Hooray for Saver awards, 10k miles for BOS-IAD-ROA yielded a rate of 4.6 cents per mile since the IAD-ROA leg is ridiculously expensive for some reason)

Last edited by diburning; Sep 12, 2017 at 11:35 pm
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received the same email.

It's approximately 4 hours driving, or a 1 hour flight. 235 miles as the crow flies, 244 miles via highway. The train stops in Lynchburg, Charlottesville, Culpeper, Manassas, Burke Center, and Alexandra along the way. Assuming a 10-minute stop at each of them (It's probably longer at the more popular stops such as Lynchburg and Charlottesville, and shorter at stops like Culpeper) that ~50 mins, so the train is about on par with driving. You'd probably it traffic driving into Washington at the time that the train operates.

I'm flying into Roanoke the day before to ride the inaugural (Hooray for Saver awards, 10k miles for BOS-IAD-ROA yielded a rate of 4.6 cents per mile since the IAD-ROA leg is ridiculously expensive for some reason)
Actually, Amtrak stops are generally at most 2-3 minutes, maybe 5 minutes if there's a huge crowd boarding/disembarking. Designated moke stops (which are often, but not always, collocated with crew change points) can be ~20 minutes if the train is on-time (and more if early), but I'd be somewhat surprised if there were any smoke stops on that particular route (since the crew change point is almost certainly DC).

Most of the reason it takes 5 hours to do a 4-hour drive is because the train isn't spending most of its time going 79mph.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Especially not on CSX owned tracks. CSX is in their own world of hurt right now operations-wise.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:14 am
Original Poster

I stumbled upon the media event yesterday (trip report and photos to come!).

Amtrak wasn't entirely honest with the media about how great their trains were. Yesterday, they ran a special from Lynchburg to Roanoke just for the media and elected officials. On the train was: Locomotive - Three Business Class Cars (with tables at the ends!) - Cafe Car (with tablecloths!) - Beech Grove (Amtrak's private office car). They also scrubbed the heck out of the Cafe car, because I've never seen one so clean!.

I'm currently seated in the Business Class car.
jackal and hi55us like this.

Last edited by diburning; Oct 31, 2017 at 9:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.