Wiki Posts
Search

BackBay boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

BackBay boarding

Any suggestions to snag a good seat boarding the last Acela (5:27 PM) of a weekday? Is it a mad dash for the train when the gates open?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: AGR
You should be ok at BBY. The big crowd boards at RTE.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Be sure to watch the departure board. A few weeks ago, I departed from BBY for the first time and the boards didn't display a track. There is NO Amtrak support at the station, so be sure to ask other passenger which track the train departs from. I may be track no.1

My train left me and several others as we didn't know what track the train boarded and departed from.

In addition, watch out for pigeons and their "air bombs"!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Unless you're looking for a specific car (First or Quiet Car), board towards the front of the train. Back usually much more crowded out of South Station as people don't walk up to the front.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Be sure to watch the departure board. A few weeks ago, I departed from BBY for the first time and the boards didn't display a track. There is NO Amtrak support at the station, so be sure to ask other passenger which track the train departs from. I may be track no.1

My train left me and several others as we didn't know what track the train boarded and departed from.

In addition, watch out for pigeons and their "air bombs"!
The boards are supposed to display a track, so if they didn't, then there must have been a problem with them.

The Acela and Northeast Regional always board from tracks 1, 2, or 3, as those are the tracks for the Northeast Corridor. (Tracks 5 and 7 are for the Boston and Albany main line, aka the MBTA Worcester Line, and the Lake Shore Limited)
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by diburning
The boards are supposed to display a track, so if they didn't, then there must have been a problem with them.

The Acela and Northeast Regional always board from tracks 1, 2, or 3, as those are the tracks for the Northeast Corridor. (Tracks 5 and 7 are for the Boston and Albany main line, aka the MBTA Worcester Line, and the Lake Shore Limited)
"Supposed to" is the key phrase. Look at this picture. I'll note the highlighted for the next time I use this station.

A passenger using this station for the first time, would not know where to go.

The departure board was of no use in this situation.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I take 2175 frequently, it will be packed to the gills right out of South Station on Thursday and Friday nights, if you're traveling on a Monday-Tuesday you should have better luck, but it's generally one of the more popular Acela's with lots of business travelers leaving from the south station area.

If you want to guarantee yourself a good seat grab any commuter rail or amtrak train from BBY-BOS or hop on the orange line to Downtown Crossing (which is a 5 minute walk to South Station).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yeah, leaving this Thursday.
Seems to me that Amtrak really needs to implement assigned seating in any class.
Can I board at South Station even if my ticket says "Back Bay"?

Last edited by BOSTravels; Jul 24, 2017 at 4:01 pm
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AGR
Yes..
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BOSTravels
Yeah, leaving this Thursday.
Seems to me that Amtrak really needs to implement assigned seating in any class.
Can I board at South Station even if my ticket says "Back Bay"?
Why? IMO there is nothing wrong with the way you board now.

That is the good thing about Amtrak, flexibility. Say you and a buddy buy tickets from NY to DC and plan it out a month in advance. On a plane you pick your seat in advance, you and your buddy can sit next to one another. Say a third friend decided closer to the date of departure to come. they may not be able to fly on the same flight let alone sit next or near you. On Amtrak, that person could join you in the same train and you can sit together with no issues.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Why? IMO there is nothing wrong with the way you board now.

That is the good thing about Amtrak, flexibility. Say you and a buddy buy tickets from NY to DC and plan it out a month in advance. On a plane you pick your seat in advance, you and your buddy can sit next to one another. Say a third friend decided closer to the date of departure to come. they may not be able to fly on the same flight let alone sit next or near you. On Amtrak, that person could join you in the same train and you can sit together with no issues.
That's true to a degree if your boarding at the starting point. Try finding seats together boarding in Providence or any other intermediate station. If it's a popular train, you could have purchased tickets months in advance, it's likely you will not find seats together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.