Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Some Empire Service Switched to Grand Central Station

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards

Due to the track reconstruction at New York's Penn Station, Amtrak has switched 6 Empire Service trains (3 departures, 3 arrivals) to Grand Central Terminal from July 10 - September 1, 2017.

The affected trains are #'s 230, 233, 235, 236, 239, and 242.

There is more info from Amtrak at:
https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...=1251653727006
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Wow, not even a QuickTrak machine.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I'm so excited to take an Amtrak train out of GCT, gonna go for a ride on this just for fun!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:56 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Wish I was located on the East Coast (or planning to be there during this time period) - I would love to ride on Amtrak out of Grand Central!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem with the website is that people who are used to searching for Empire Service trains out of NYP aren't told that they should be looking for service out of NYG.

The message says, in the usual unhelpful PR-speak:
Infrastructure Renewal at New York Penn Station: Work is underway to strengthen railroad infrastructure and improve operations and preparedness at New York Penn Station may affect your trip. See the plan and get the latest project updates at Amtrak.com/NYPrenewal.
Something better would be:
You're not seeing the usual schedule of Empire Service trains. This because some Empire Service will be moved to Grand Central Terminal. Try searching for trains to/from Grand Central (NYG rather then NYP) to see additional service options.
Either that, or Amtrak could add a NYC - All Stations option to the selection list.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:02 pm

Interesting article about it in today's NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/n...of-heaven.html
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:18 pm

Just bought a RT to Yonkers departing NYG on train 235 on 7/19, returning same day on train 242. Anybody got ideas for something to do in Yonkers for an hour or so right near the train station?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by paytonc
IME, most people either use mobile tickets or print at home.

Originally Posted by physioprof
Just bought a RT to Yonkers departing NYG on train 235 on 7/19, returning same day on train 242. Anybody got ideas for something to do in Yonkers for an hour or so right near the train station?
Grab the next Metro North train which will take you back to... wait for it... Grand Central?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by paytonc
the PDF schedule shows a QuickTrak machine at Grand Central, though I don't know if I'd rely on it actually existing.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
The station is at the waterfront (in small letters). You can grab a bite if you're hungry. Downtown Yonkers isn't exactly a destination.

Amtrak $34 R/T value

Metro North $22 peak R/T
Metro North off peak $16.50 R/T
Senior $11 R/T

editorial comment

Last edited by dhammer53; Jul 6, 2017 at 7:47 am
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
IME, most people either use mobile tickets or print at home.

Grab the next Metro North train which will take you back to... wait for it... Grand Central?
I don't just want to depart GCT on Amtrak, I want to arrive as well!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:02 am

It will be nothing unusual, the train will be double ended so they won't have to loop it on departure.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
The station is at the waterfront (in small letters). You can grab a bite if you're hungry. Downtown Yonkers isn't exactly a destination.
same opinion... there's a couple restaurants next to the water but an hour is too tight. there's a very short walkway along the hudson if it's a nice day and a brewpub next to the train station.

van cortlandt park is close enough and you can take the subway back home if you got your amtrak fill on the outbound.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:49 am

So I ended up on Train #235 yesterday NYG-YNY. Instead of waiting several hours for the next Amtrak, I just got on the next Metro North train back to GCT, so spent less than fifteen minutes in Yonkers. It was a very cool experience to board Amtrak in GCT and to see Park Avenue heading north! I was in business class, which was one half of the cafe car. Weirdly, there was no cafe service at all.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:40 am

Weirdly, there was no cafe service at all.
No storage or staff to restock at NYG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.