Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Companion Certificate on Sleeper ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others

I have a free companion certificate from my Amtrak credit card. Is it possible to use this for the second passenger train fare when I my ticket is for a roomette?

Also, can I use it for companion when I have business class ticket and then pay the upgrade fee?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton Honors
It might cover the basic rail fare which each passenger (including each sleeper passenger) has to pay. The "accommodation (sleeper) charge" - includes up to 2 passengers for roomettes and bedrooms and is generally not eligible for a discount.

Might be best to query Amtrak regarding this.

John

Last edited by FrensicPic; Jun 3, 2017 at 4:34 pm Reason: added my name
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I fought hard to use the companion cert on a sleeper fare. I was more than willing to have the cert discount just the "Rail" portion of the ticket and not the upgrade charge but the 1-800 line said no can do.

I ended up booking 2 coach tickets on a long distance train, using the companion cert and then calling up to "upgrade" us to a sleeper. Was easy to do and only costed $300 (this was a NYC-MCO Ticket)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.