Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

? about connection/ontime- would YOU do this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

So I can offer the "backstory" for those who are interested but trust me, it's quite unexciting. Bottom line: I'm looking for an economical way to get to Toronto for an int'l flight on the evening of Thursday, Oct. 5.

Seems the best option, based on my research and flights from my home city, is to get to Buffalo then take the train to Toronto. My flight is at 11:50PM or so from Toronto. I'm seeing (from Buffalo)
Amtrak #63 Maple Leaf - 3:01PM-4:29PM then
Amtrak #7098 Maple Leaf - 4:57PM-7:41PM
I'm not worried about the connection time, I know that making train connections is different then making plane connections. I AM worried that #63 would run late and then i'd miss the departure at 4:57PM. Any thoughts on the "on time" % for this train and if others would risk booking this or not? I'll have minimal (1 piece) of luggage and would certainly have it with me. Thanks for any info!
Old May 29, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
So I can offer the "backstory" for those who are interested but trust me, it's quite unexciting. Bottom line: I'm looking for an economical way to get to Toronto for an int'l flight on the evening of Thursday, Oct. 5.

Seems the best option, based on my research and flights from my home city, is to get to Buffalo then take the train to Toronto. My flight is at 11:50PM or so from Toronto. I'm seeing (from Buffalo)
Amtrak #63 Maple Leaf - 3:01PM-4:29PM then
Amtrak #7098 Maple Leaf - 4:57PM-7:41PM
I'm not worried about the connection time, I know that making train connections is different then making plane connections. I AM worried that #63 would run late and then i'd miss the departure at 4:57PM. Any thoughts on the "on time" % for this train and if others would risk booking this or not? I'll have minimal (1 piece) of luggage and would certainly have it with me. Thanks for any info!
There is no change of trains involved here. The Maple Leaf is a through train from NYP to Toronto, but the segment that goes into Canada gets a different train number because it is operated by VIA Rail for Amtrak.

The bigger concern would be if the train arrives Toronto two or three hours late, due to Customs inspection at Niagara Falls or for any other reason.

What is your home city? Do you have any frequent-flyer miles or credit-card points that are convertable to frequent-flyer miles with which you could obtain a one-way award ticket from your home airport to YYZ?

Other economical options to Buffalo/Toronto include Megabus.

And there is scheduled shuttle bus service from Buffalo (airport? downtown? both?) direct to YYZ.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
wow! OP here. thanks for the quick (and thorough) reply. I"m from DC so I'd be going DC to Toronto and yes, I have ff points, etc so maybe that's the way to go. One more question, please: If I did the bus from BUF to YYZ, wouldn't it be subject to the same CAN inspections and possible delays? Thanks again for the info!
Old May 29, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming that your flight out of YYZ is on a non-refundable ticket, I personally would not risk this. Will you be checking your one piece of luggage on the flight? If so, what is the baggage check-in deadline? How long will it take you to get from Toronto Union Station to YYZ?

I would recommend planning to arrive YYZ much earlier in the day (and maybe even the day before) unless you can afford to buy a last-minute walk-up ticket in the event you miss your flight.

Have you already bought the plane ticket?
Old May 29, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow! OP here. thanks for the quick (and thorough) reply. I"m from DC so I'd be going DC to Toronto and yes, I have ff points, etc so maybe that's the way to go. One more question, please: If I did the bus from BUF to YYZ, wouldn't it be subject to the same CAN inspections and possible delays? Thanks again for the info!
Yes, trans-border buses are also subject to Canadian Customs and Immigration inspection. When I took Megabus from BUF Airport to downtown Toronto a few years ago, all passengers had to get off the bus and remove their luggage from the bus's underloader; not sure if the same procedures apply to the airport shuttle buses.

If you can find "MileSAAver" award-seat availability on AA's DCA-YYZ nonstops at aa.com, you should be able to secure that flight for just 7,500 BA Avios at ba.com. But unless your flight out of YYZ is on another oneworld carrier, AA will not protect you if, due to irregular operations, the AA flight gets to YYZ too late to make your second flight.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again to all. My flight out of YYZ is nonrefundable and it departs, technically, at 12:05AM on Friday, 6 October. I think the Megabus option makes the most sense and they have a bus that gets into YYZ at 7:10pm. I'm thinking even if it's delayed a few hours I should still make a midnight flight and I'll have one rollerboard only so no, not checking luggage. That all REALLY makes the most sense to me so I think I'm gonna nix the train altogether. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 29, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I might look at using some AA miles or BA Avios for a DCA-YYZ flight.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again to all. My flight out of YYZ is nonrefundable and it departs, technically, at 12:05AM on Friday, 6 October. I think the Megabus option makes the most sense and they have a bus that gets into YYZ at 7:10pm. I'm thinking even if it's delayed a few hours I should still make a midnight flight and I'll have one rollerboard only so no, not checking luggage. That all REALLY makes the most sense to me so I think I'm gonna nix the train altogether. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wouldn't the Megabus option require you to depart WAS about 24 hours before your flight departs? What would the total cost be, including the cost to get from downtown Toronto to YYZ?

I'm currently seeing early morning DCA/IAD-YYZ nonstops on October 5 for $106. You would have a whole day to tour Toronto, if desired. And you would not have to spend upwards of 15 hours on buses.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

hi Guv. No, not quite. So to avoid confusion. I'm flying out of YYZ. I have some time restraints as to when I can leave DC on 10/5 and the flights from DC to YYZ later in the day are more expensive then I want to spend. SOOOO I plan on flying from DC to BUF (which is quite INexpensive) then will take MegaBus from BUF-YYZ, apparently MegaBus has rather inexpensive service that goes right from BUF to YYZ airport. Thanks again for all the good info. All things considered this option/routing works best for me. thanks!
Old May 29, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hi Guv. No, not quite. So to avoid confusion. I'm flying out of YYZ. I have some time restraints as to when I can leave DC on 10/5 and the flights from DC to YYZ later in the day are more expensive then I want to spend. SOOOO I plan on flying from DC to BUF (which is quite INexpensive) then will take MegaBus from BUF-YYZ, apparently MegaBus has rather inexpensive service that goes right from BUF to YYZ airport. Thanks again for all the good info. All things considered this option/routing works best for me. thanks!
While Megabus does serve BUF Airport, I see nothing on the Megabus website to indicate that it serves YYZ Airport -- only downtown Toronto. Suggest you double-check, and factor in the time and cost of a transfer from downtown Toronto to YYZ.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UP Express train from Toronto Union Station to YYZ:

https://www.upexpress.com
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I would strongly consider booking a one way car rental from the Buffalo Airport to YYZ.... and I would definitely not book the Maple Leaf, that train could easily be 2-3 hours late since it runs all the way from NYC to Toronto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.