Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Northeast Regional WAS/NYP/NRO report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

After riding in a Roomette DEN/PDX last year, and after riding in coach CHI/WAS last week, the Northeast Regional was a big let down. This train is more like a commuter train than an over the road train.

Seats on the Northeast Regional are like airline coach seats, but more comfortable. The Capitol Limited between Chicago and Washington has very comfortable seats with better than first class pitch. Seats have a footrest, and recline far back; much further than domestic first class. I'd much rather ride this than the Northeast Regional. Other than that, everything is about the same, with the exception of a dining car on the Capitol Limited.

How on earth anyone can ride this train (NER) for multiple hours (without decent food) is beyond me.

We were 25 minutes late arriving at NYP. I thought we would leave early to make up the time, but still arrived NRO 20 minutes late.

If you never done this ride before, the views departing NYP northbound are spectacular.

By the way, Wi-fi sucked on the Northeast Regional and the Capitol Limited.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
If you never done this ride before, the views departing NYP northbound are spectacular.
Departing NYP northbound on WAS/NYP/NRO?
Old May 24, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nerd
Departing NYP northbound on WAS/NYP/NRO?
Confused about your confusion...I understood him to be referring to the stretch across the Hell Gate bridge, which is indeed a fantastic stretch of railroading. But now I'm confused...
Old May 24, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
Confused about your confusion...I understood him to be referring to the stretch across the Hell Gate bridge, which is indeed a fantastic stretch of railroading. But now I'm confused...
Ah, my mistake.

Yes, great views on the Hell Gate bridge. ^
Old May 24, 2017, 3:05 pm

I ride this train every week and yes, it is pretty much a commuter train far different than the LD trains. I also bring my own food, bought in the station or nearby.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Just after you get off the George Washington Bridge in NYC (I-95), you're heading east, but I-95 is a north/south road.

And so it's the same with the ride out of NYP as the train makes its way to CT and MA. North and east. 148 heads to Springfield.

dh
Old May 24, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"How on earth anyone can ride this train (NER) for multiple hours (without decent food) is beyond me. ​​​​​"

Many Amtrak tickets permit free, en-route stopovers not to exceed 23 hours, 59 minutes. So you can schedule your own meal break -- in BAL, PHL, or NYP -- if you like.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Next time, do what I often did back in law school, and take SEPTA/NJT between Philly and NYC (change trains in Trenton). That should put the quality of NER into perspective for you.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
Next time, do what I often did back in law school, and take SEPTA/NJT between Philly and NYC (change trains in Trenton). That should put the quality of NER into perspective for you.
Better yet, IF you can somehow get a ride from Perryville, MD to Newark, DE, do the following to mimic the WAS-NRO trip:

1. Take MARC from WAS to Perryville.
2. Self transfer from Perryville to Newark, DE
3. Take SEPTA from Newark, DE to Trenton (with a transfer at Philadelphia).
4. Take NJT from Trenton to NYP.
5. Self transfer to NYG, then take Metro North from NYG to NRO.

I've actually done a trip like this, and was begging for an Amtrak regional seat afterwards (all it took was a seat on SEPTA Silverliner III which thankfully no longer exists, I think )
Old May 25, 2017, 8:29 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Yes, NRO (New Rochelle) is north of NYP.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by stc
Yes, NRO (New Rochelle) is north of NYP.
I know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.