Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any way to take a long-distance train on a short corridor trip?

Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

Amtrak doesn't seem to sell tickets for its long-distance trains between stations along certain corridors that are served by numerous other trains. For example, you can't buy a ticket on the Crescent between NYC and Philadelphia, and you can't buy a ticket on the Lake Shore Limited between NYC and other stations south of Albany.

However, is there a way around this (other than buying a ticket for a longer trip and getting off early)?

I have a trip from NYC to Rhinecliff, NY and would much rather take the Lake Shore Limited than an Empire Service train. If I just buy a ticket for an Empire Service train and somehow get on the LSL anyway, will I get charged a fine? (I assume so.)

Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Amtrak doesn't seem to sell tickets for its long-distance trains between stations along certain corridors that are served by numerous other trains. For example, you can't buy a ticket on the Crescent between NYC and Philadelphia, and you can't buy a ticket on the Lake Shore Limited between NYC and other stations south of Albany.

However, is there a way around this (other than buying a ticket for a longer trip and getting off early)?

I have a trip from NYC to Rhinecliff, NY and would much rather take the Lake Shore Limited than an Empire Service train. If I just buy a ticket for an Empire Service train and somehow get on the LSL anyway, will I get charged a fine? (I assume so.)

Thanks.
I doubt that you would be permitted to board the LSL without having a ticket for that train.

Your best option is to buy a ticket on the LSL for a point beyond your intended destination.

Occasionally, the LSL shows up on the list of weekly discounted trains.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Some people do this in the NEC by booking trains to ALX or another VA station and detraining in WAS. I took a roomette from NYP to ALX on one of the Silver trains once for the novelty of it. I actually needed to go to ALX, but the attendant asked if I was departing in WAS, because it is common. The roomette was only about $20 more than business class on a Regional.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
If you have flexibility in travel dates, it's possible to buy a ticket to Schenectady on the LSL for just $5 more than an Empire Service ticket to Rhinecliff. If you need to travel on a specific day, the price difference could be significantly higher, though.

If do choose the "Schenectady workaround" be sure to notify a conductor that your plans have changed and you need to detrain in Rhinecliff. I'm not sure, but it's possible that not all doors would open at Rhinecliff and you may find yourself having to ride to Albany if you're not careful.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: AGR
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
If you have flexibility in travel dates, it's possible to buy a ticket to Schenectady on the LSL for just $5 more than an Empire Service ticket to Rhinecliff. If you need to travel on a specific day, the price difference could be significantly higher, though.

If do choose the "Schenectady workaround" be sure to notify a conductor that your plans have changed and you need to detrain in Rhinecliff. I'm not sure, but it's possible that not all doors would open at Rhinecliff and you may find yourself having to ride to Albany if you're not careful.
The LSL doesn't stop in Rhinecliff.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dicksboat
The LSL doesn't stop in Rhinecliff.
Sure it does! Price a ticket from RHI to SDY.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AGR
Originally Posted by guv1976
Sure it does! Price a ticket from RHI to SDY.
Sorry for questioning your post. You are correct and I am wrong. I travel on the other LSL and was not familiar that Rhinecliff was below ALB.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:52 am

Not sure if the situation applies, but I have taken The Vermonter from PHL to WAS several times.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Pay close attention to the "only receive passenger" notations in the PDF timetables -- they'll let you know which stations you're allowed to (dis)embark at. You can buy an NYP-Albany ticket and leave at Rhinecliff, for instance.

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Some people do this in the NEC by booking trains to ALX or another VA station and detraining in WAS.
Several of the LD trains have Alexandria as the first "legal" stop, but others go further. I've had to look closely at this in my attempts to use the LD trains' bike racks... it's easy to bike from DC to ALX, but getting to Manassas or Fredericksburg isn't worth the hassle.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: I fly UA, drive Hertz and sleep around...
My only experience on LD vs Commuters is on the CHI-STL route, where I always prefer to take the Texas Eagle over the Lincoln Service. On this route it is definitely doable. Matter of fact, that's how I became an Amtrak fan. My first trip ever was on Amtrak from STL to CHI in a roomette.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: DL FO
I used to take the Carolinian from Wilmington to Baltimore, on my way home from visitng my parents. It's about 10 minutes faster than the regional trains, and the Wilmington departure time was perfect for Monday mornings if my mom dropped me off on her way to work. Amtrak readily sells tickets for short trips on the Carolinian.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:42 pm

You can do SB from NyP during the construction on meteor or the star/palmetto etc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.