Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Two questions about traveling w/ a baby companion on Acela First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

Hi There!

My wife and I will be traveling NYP-BBY on Acela in a couple months. We'll be bringing our 18 month old son with us as a companion. I know he doesn't need his own seat, but when I got the ticket from Amtrak, his name wasn't even mentioned on it. Will that be an issue? Any tips from those who have traveled with a baby on Acela First? THANKS!
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Hi There!

My wife and I will be traveling NYP-BBY on Acela in a couple months. We'll be bringing our 18 month old son with us as a companion. I know he doesn't need his own seat, but when I got the ticket from Amtrak, his name wasn't even mentioned on it. Will that be an issue? Any tips from those who have traveled with a baby on Acela First? THANKS!
Here is Amtrak's Infant Policy. If you're unsure call Amtrak. You do not mention when you're traveling, so the time of day makes a difference some trains leaving NY Penn can be fully booked.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Here is Amtrak's Infant Policy. If you're unsure call Amtrak. You do not mention when you're traveling, so the time of day makes a difference some trains leaving NY Penn can be fully booked.
Yeah I read the infant policy. It makes no mention of a ticket. I could call Amtrak, and I will if I don't get an answer, but at times a quick Flyertalk post is easier than phoning a railway.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Did you book online? There's a drop-down box to select an infant passenger.

Here's what Ask Julie has to say

"To include an infant on a reservation, select the number of infants in the Fare Finder Tool on the left side of the page. For more information about traveling with infants, see the links below."
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Yeah I read the infant policy. It makes no mention of a ticket. I could call Amtrak, and I will if I don't get an answer, but at times a quick Flyertalk post is easier than phoning a railway.
Are you saying this is not definitive?
One child (classified as an "infant") under the age of two may ride free with each fare-paying adult (age 18+).
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Are you saying this is not definitive?
As the OP stated, it doesn't say if they need a ($0) ticket or not. So no, it is not definitive.

But then a lot of things Amtrak puts out is not always clear. I was booking a promo ticket some time ago and it clearly stated "other terms apply" in the find print, but failed to state what those terms were. I even called in and the agent had no clue what those terms were. I presume had there been an interruption in travel that I would not be re accommodated on other trains.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408
As the OP stated, it doesn't say if they need a ($0) ticket or not. So no, it is not definitive.

But then a lot of things Amtrak puts out is not always clear. I was booking a promo ticket some time ago and it clearly stated "other terms apply" in the find print, but failed to state what those terms were. I even called in and the agent had no clue what those terms were. I presume had there been an interruption in travel that I would not be re accommodated on other trains.
I guess we translate this differently.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:58 am

For what it's worth, the only time I traveled Acela F it was with a 2 month old in a car seat. We got a ticket since we'd likely occupy a seat with the car seat. The conductor looked at me like I had 8 heads when I offered him the ticket. He didn't lift it and I got a refund for it after the fact. This was 9 years ago, so YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.