Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Amtrak w UR points?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Buying Amtrak w UR points?

I know you can't Xfer UR points to Amtrak anymore, but is there any way to use the UR-portal to buy Amtrak tix like you can with airfare?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
No, not possible.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Just for the sake of completeness, there are two options that would in theory assist with indirectly paying for Amtrak travel with UR points, though I wouldn't recommend them unless you have absolutely no other use for UR points:

- Redeem UR points for cashback to your Chase account at a penny per point. Since the redemption value is so low with this method, it's not a very good use of UR points but is possible.

- Transfer UR points to Marriott Rewards, then transfer those to Starwood Preferred Guest, and finally from SPG to Amtrak Guest Rewards (with no 5K per 20K transferred bonus as with SPG-to-airline transfers). Major caveat is that it takes 3 Marriott points to convert to 1 SPG point, so I can't imagine any scenario where this would be a good way to either get AGR points or redeem UR points - but in theory you could do it.

Oh, one other thing - if you have the Sapphire Reserve card, there are limited data points here of Amtrak ticket purchases (and onboard food) triggering the $300 annual travel credit.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...el-credit.html

I wish you could use the travel portal to directly book on Amtrak though.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Oh, one other thing - if you have the Sapphire Reserve card, there are limited data points here of Amtrak ticket purchases (and onboard food) triggering the $300 annual travel credit.
Amtrak ticket purchases, in my experience, have always coded as travel. Of course, this means getting some of the $300 travel credit only if it has not been used up already, but I always get 3X points.

I wish you could use the travel portal to directly book on Amtrak though.
You and me both. But while we're dreaming, I wish I could transfer UR points to AGR points 1:1. I believe I did that when I held the Sapphire Preferred card.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
I've asked this elsewhere, but didn't get a response: Has anyone tried calling in to book Amtrak with points?

This is the work-around for Southwest (and Chase issues their affinity card!).

I have lots of AGR points laying around and no train trips in the offing, so I have no reason to try this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by sechs
I've asked this elsewhere, but didn't get a response: Has anyone tried calling in to book Amtrak with points?
Has anyone tried calling in to book Amtrak tickets using chase ultimate rewards points at 1.5X with reserve?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.